30 Mar Best Ever Healthy Shakshuka
Best ever healthy shakshuka recipe for a nourishing, quick, and easy meal. Ready in 20 minutes, this flavorful Middle Eastern dish is protein packed and made with tomatoes, zucchini, soft poached eggs, crumbled feta and fresh herbs. Serve it with a warm pita or toasted bread for an easy breakfast, brunch, or dinner!
Best ever healthy shakshuka recipe
I order shakshuka every time I see it on the menu at a restaurant. It is always delicious and never fails to disappoint. Nothing hits the spot more than a toasted pita dipped in the warm, creamy tomato and feta sauce with runny eggs.
I am so excited to share my version of shakshuka with you! This recipe is based on the traditional version, but I added some new fun vegetables to boost the health benefits.
Shakshuka is such an easy, quick and healthy breakfast (or any time of day) recipe. It is a simple combination of crushed tomatoes, red bell pepper, onions, garlic, spices, and poached eggs. Shakshuka is nourishing, filling and a recipe everyone in your family will love!
What is shakshuka?
So you might be wondering…. what is shakshuka?
Shakshuka is a classic Middle Eastern and North African dish made from tomatoes, onions, and spices as the base with soft poached eggs on top. It is often served for breakfast, but I love enjoying it any time of day! Traditional shakshuka is made from simple, healthy ingredients and is vegetarian.
Is shakshuka healthy?
Yes, shakshuka is very healthy! In fact, this shakshuka recipe has many health benefits, and it’s a great food to incorporate into your diet. Traditional shakshuka is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and potassium, The eggs add lots of protein and the feta has lots of calcium. This dish is nourishing and deliciously health friendly.
Ingredients in healthy shakshuka
You’ll only need a few, simple ingredients to get this easy 20 minute breakfast recipe going! I am all about simplicity and ease, so don’t worry, you won’t need to go to the supermarket and buy a lot of expensive ingredients and spices. Kind of crazy how flavorful this vegetarian healthy shakshuka recipe is!
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Red bell pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Crushed tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Spices: cumin, paprika, ginger, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper
How to make best ever shakshuka
My favorite thing about this healthy shakshuka recipe (besides the taste of course) is how easy it is to make! You only need one large pan and a stovetop, making clean up super easy. And this meal is ready n until 20 minutes. Shakshuka is seriously the perfect family breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner recipe!
To make shakshuka, simply heat olive oil in a deep non-stick saute pan. Once hot, add in the diced onion, red bell pepper, and zucchini. Cook for 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
Next, add in the sliced garlic cloves, cumin, paprika, ground ginger, and optional chili flakes if you want more heat. Then, cook for an additional minute until the mixture before arromatic.
After that, add in the crushed tomatoes, fresh spinach, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, stir and bring the sauce to a simmer. Carefully taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings to your liking.
Finally, using a large spoon to make 6 small wells in the sauce and crack an egg into each. Cover the pan and cook for 5 – 8 minutes, or until the eggs are done to your liking.
Garnish with crumbled feta, extra cilantro, and serve with warm pita or toasted bread. Enjoy the best ever healthy shakshuka!
Shakshuka recipe substitutions and tips
This North African breakfast dish is delicious as-is, but if you are missing an ingredient or two no worries! Feel free to change things up in the healthy shakshuka recipe to customize it to your family’s preferences:
- Use a nonstick or stainless steel skillet! If you want to use a cast iron skillet, make sure it is enamel coated.
- Eggs: Add as many or as few eggs are you want! Depending on the size of your pan, use 3 to 8 eggs.
- Veggies: I added zucchini, onion, and red bell pepper to this recipe. Feel free to add more or swap these out with mushrooms, yellow squash, orange bell pepper, and fresh cherry tomatoes.
- Spiciness: For an extra little kick of heat in this healthy shakshuka recipe, add about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes to shakshuka sauce.
- Cilantro: If you do not have cilantro or simply do not like cilantro, use parsley instead!
How to meal prep shakshuka
Shakshuka makes for the best meal prep! I recommend preparing the tomato sauce ahead of time. Then, divide the sauce into separate airtight containers and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. When you are ready to enjoy your healthy shakshuka, add the sauce to a pan to reheat, add in eggs but following step 4 in the recipe.
How to store leftover shakshuka
If you have extra shakshuka with the eggs already cooked, simply store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 – 3 days. Warm up over medium heat in a pan or in a microwave with a damp paper towel over the shakshuka.
Looking for other healthy meal recipes? Check these out!
Need some more tasty and healthy dinner, lunch, or meal prep ideas? Here are some of my favorite Healthful Blondie dinner recipes to try out….
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!Print
Best ever healthy shakshuka for a nourishing, quick, and easy meal. Ready in 20 minutes, this flavorful Middle Eastern dish is protein packed and made with tomatoes, zucchini, soft poached eggs, crumbled feta and fresh herbs. Serve it with a warm pita or toasted bread for an easy breakfast, brunch, or dinner!
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small zucchini, quartered into small pieces
- 3 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes, optional
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 large eggs
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a deep non-stick saute pan, heat olive oil to medium heat. Add in diced onion, bell pepper, and zucchini. Cook for 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the sliced garlic clove, cumin, paprika, ground ginger, and optional chili flakes. Cook for an additional minute.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, spinach, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, stir and bring the sauce to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Using a large spoon to make 6 small wells in the sauce and crack the eggs into each. Cover the pan and cook for 5 – 8 minutes, or until the eggs are done to your liking.
- Garnish with crumbled feta, extra cilantro, and serve with warm pita or toasted bread.
* Use a non-stick pan or stainless steel pan.
TO STORE: divide into separate airtight containers and store in the fridge for up to 3 – 4 days.
TO REHEAT: reheat on stovetop in small saute pan or place a damp paper towel on top and microwave.
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Greek, Mediterranean, Healthy
Keywords: Best Ever Healthy Shakshuka, Mediterranean Shakshuka, Easy Shakshuka, gluten free, vegetarian, healthy breakfast, healthy dinner, healthy lunch, Simple Shakshuka
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!