Best thick-cut air fryer sweet potato wedges that are crispy and tender. These delicious sweet potato steak fries are air fried, perfectly seasoned, and are the best healthy side dish!
Why you’ll love air fryer sweet potato wedges
I might have a small obsession with sweet potatoes… anyone else? I mean they are the best kind of potato, especially when they are super crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
I could eat these air fryer seasoned sweet potato wedges every single day. They pair perfectly with literally every dish, especially with my Healthy Pineapple Teriyaki Turkey Burgers!
Unlike traditional skinny fried french fries, these thick cut sweet potato fries are nutritious, tender, and made crispy in the air fryer with NO OIL!
Honestly, this recipe is perfect for french fry lovers. They satisfy the need for a crispy yet tender snack or side and give you the ultimate sweet-salty combo! These crispy healthy sweet pototato wedges are air-fried to perfection and the perfect summer side dish for a burger or BBQ. Your entire family will love them, and you will love how easy they are to make and clean up!
Steak fries vs potato wedges
Steak fries are thick cut fries, sometimes called potato wedges. They are simply a thicker french fry. In fact, steak fries are healthier than regular fries because they require less oil when being cooked. Traditionally steak fries are cooked in the oven; however, we are using the air fryer to make them extra crispy and tender!
One of the best parts of this air fryer recipe is that it uses minimal ingredients. By only adding some healthy oil and seasonings, you can easily make these thick and crispy sweet potato wedges in under 20 minutes. Here is what you will need to make this side dish:
- Sweet Potatoes: First up, grab 2 large sweet potatoes. We will cut them up in to wedges and season them before adding them to the air fryer.
- Olive Oil: To make sure we get them extra crispy, without deep frying, add in 1 or 2 Tablespoons of olive oil.
- Salt & Pepper: For the best taste.
- Paprika: I love adding paprika to sweet potato wedges because it adds that classic taste like the ones you order at a restaurant.
- Garlic Powder: Plus, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
Kitchen tools needed
I love simple and easy recipes, especially those that don’t require tons of kitchen tools and allow for an easy clean-up. In fact, these air fried sweet potato wedges only call for 3 tools! Here is a list:
- Mixing bowl
- Knife and cutting board
- Air Fryer
- Measuring tools: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1/3 cup, and 1/2 cup, 1 cup.
How to make air fryer sweet potato wedges
This recipe is so easy to make and my go-to side dish for nearly every dinner. With only a few simple steps and ready in under 20 minutes, here are step-by-step instructions on how to make the best air fryer sweet potato wedges:
First, you want to preheat your air fryer to 380°F while you prep your sweet potato wedges. Wash and dry your sweet potatoes and then cut them into thick wedges that are about 1/2 inch thick. I do this by cutting my sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and then cut each half into thirds or quarters depending on the size of the sweet potato.
Next, once your sweet potatoes are cut into your desired size and shape, add all of the pieces into a mixing bowl and drizzle about 1 – 2 tablespoons of olive oil on top. Toss the sweet potatoes in the oil to coat them and then sprinkle in salt, paprika, garlic powder and black pepper. Mix the spices and sweet potato wedges to evenly coat the steak fries.
Once the fries are seasoned and the air fryer is heated, evenly space out wedges inside the air fryer basket. Do not overcrowd the air fryer. If the basket is too crowded, the fries will not get the crispy texture you crave. If you have a small air fryer, simply cook in two batches. Air fry for about 15-18 minutes and turn each wedge over halfway through using tongs to ensure both sides cook and get the perfect crisp.
Once the sweet potato wedges have a crispy exterior and tender interior, they are ready to be immediately served. Grab some ketchup and enjoy!
Are sweet potatoes healthy?
Yes, sweet potatoes are one of the healthiest starches you can eat! While all forms of potatoes have nutritional value, by using sweet potatoes we are adding lots of Vitamin A and Vitamin C and fiber to your diet. You will feel satiated without having any highly processed ingredients.
Also, this recipe uses an air fryer to get the sweet potatoes, a crispy exterior and tender inside that matches the feeling of a traditional steak fry. This version of sweet potato fries does not require deep frying or a cornstarch coating, keeping the ingredients simple. So, yes, these are healthy steak fries!
What to pair sweet potato wedges with:
There are so many dishes I would be up to have fries with, the possibilities are seriously endless! Any grilled protein or salad dish is automatically better with a side of tender and crispy sweet potato fries. Here are some other Healthful Blondie recipes to check out:
- Blackened Salmon Caesar Salad
- No-Bean Veggie Burger
- Grilled Honey Soy Chicken Thigh Skewers
- Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
How to store & reheat
Storage: Simply store leftover sweet potato wedges in one large airtight container or individual airtight containers in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. Do not freeze cooked sweet potato fries.
Reheating: For the best results, reheat sweet potato french fries in the air fryer at 380°F for 5 – 10 minutes unity warm and crispy. You can also microwave; however, they will not be as crispy.
If you loved this recipe, check these out next!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- 2 – 3 sweet potatoes, larger & thick
- 1 – 2 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- Preheat air fryer to 380°F.
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes. Then cut them into thick wedges about ½ inch thick. I cut my sweet potatoes in half lengthwise then cut each half into thirds or quarters depending on the size of the sweet potato.
- Add all wedges to a mixing bowl and drizzle the 1 – 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle salt, paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper on top. Mix to evenly coat each steak fry.
- Once air fryer is heated, evenly space out wedges inside the air fryer basket. Do not overcrowd. If you have a small air fryer, cook in two batches.
- Air fry for 15 – 18 minutes, turning each wedge over with tongs halfway through.
- Serve immediately with some ketchup, as a dinner side, or save for meal prep!
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation.Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply