Best ever healthy cornbread recipe made gluten free with almond flour. It is moist and buttery with crisp edges; so good that it tastes better than the real thing!
The best gluten free cornbread recipe
You will never be able to tell that this cornbread recipe is gluten free… it is that good. The texture is soft and buttery, it is moist, and the edges are perfectly crisp. It is my family’s favorite Thanksgiving side dish.
Honestly, I prefer almond flour cornbread to regular cornbread. Classic cornbread recipes can be dry and too crumbly. But almond flour makes for the best soft and tender texture. The crumb practically melts in your mouth.
Once you try this healthy cornbread recipe, you’ll never be able to look at cornbread the same way! Bake this for brunch, as a dinner side, or at Thanksgiving this year! Everyone (even not-healthy eaters) will LOVE this cornbread.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Almond flour cornbread is buttery and extra moist.
- This recipe is healthy, and everyone will love it.
- Healthy almond flour cornbread is easy to make in under 30 minutes.
- This recipe is made with almond milk or oat milk and almond flour.
- It is 100% gluten free.
- This recipe is low in sugar and sweetened with honey.
- Try this Air Fryer Garlic Bread for another flavorful recipe!
This recipe calls for a handful of simple and healthy ingredients. You’ll need cornmeal, almond flour, butter, and a few other pantry staples. Here is a list of what you will need:
- Egg: First up, we need 1 egg to help bind this gluten free cornbread together.
- Almond milk: We are using unsweetened almond milk in place of regular milk.
- Lemon juice: Since we are not using buttermilk, we need a little lemon juice to help this cornbread get the right texture.
- Butter: I love butter, but feel free to use coconut oil if you want to make this cornbread dairy free.
- Honey: To naturally sweeten this delicious cornbread, add in 2 Tablespoons of honey.
- Cornmeal: Next up, we need 1 cup of cornmeal to give this cornbread the perfect crumbly texture.
- Almond flour: To make this cornbread 100% gluten free we are using super fine almond flour. It makes it super moist and soft!
- Baking powder: 1 teaspoon of baking powder will help this bread rise.
- Baking soda: Plus a little baking soda.
- Salt: Don’t skip out on the salt, it makes for the best sweet and salty combo.
Kitchen tools needed
Healthy cornbread is so easy to make. It comes together in under 30 minutes with these few kitchen tools:
- 8×8-inch Baking Tin
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Tools: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon and 1/4 cup.
How to make healthy almond flour cornbread
Everyone is going to love this easy this healthy almond flour cornbread is to make. It takes under 30 minutes, and the cornbread is moist, soft, buttery, and, best of all, crisp on the edges. Here are step-by-step instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line or grease an 8×8 pan with parchment and set aside.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, almond milk, lemon juice, melted butter, and honey.
After that, in another bowl, combine the cornmeal, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. I recommend using your hands to combine the flour and remove any lumps from the almond flour.
Then, add the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ones and gently fold with a spatula to combine. Do not over-mix.
Finally, pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 25 – 28 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Serve your healthy almond flour cornbread as a dinner, brunch, holiday, or Thanksgiving side. Everyone will love it!
How is this recipe healthier?
The term “healthy” is relative to each person, but. I consider this cornbread to be a much better and healthier option than classic recipes.
First, it is gluten free.
Second, it is refined sugar free since we use honey, not cane sugar, to naturally sweeten the cornbread.
Third, it is full of healthy fats and protein from the almond flour.
Fourth, it is low carb since we are not using regular all-purpose flour.
Easy ingredient substitutions:
I love this gluten-free cornbread recipe as is, but if you are missing an ingredient or two, here is a list of the very best substitutions.
- Butter: You can try to use melted coconut oil or vegan butter if you want to make this cornbread dairy free.
- Almond Milk: Feel free to use your favorite kind of milk. Regular, 2%, skim, and cashew will all work.
- Honey: You can try and use maple syrup in place of the honey.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of cornmeal should I use?
I highly recommend using fine cornmeal. However, if you like a more gritty taste, you can use medium ground cornmeal.
Can I make it dairy free?
Absolutely! Just use melted coconut oil or vegan butter instead of regular butter.
What to serve cornbread with?
I love enjoying this healthy almond flour cornbread with turkey chili, bbq chicken, and this turkey lentil soup. It’s also the perfect Thanksgiving and Christmas side dish.
Can you freeze cornbread?
Yes, you can freeze cornbread. Simply let the baked cornbread cool to room temperature, and then place the pieces into a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When you are ready to enjoy, put them in the microwave for 20 – 40 seconds (or until warm) or in the oven at 350°F for 5 – 10 minutes (or until warm).
Can I make it ahead of time?
Yes! You can make this cornbread a day in advance. That is why it is the perfect Thanksgiving recipe! Just bake as instructed and then cover the pan with aluminum foil. Keep it at room temperature for the best results. When you are ready to serve, just place the cornbread back into the oven for 5 – 10 minutes at 350°F until it is warm.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Storing: Place leftovers into an airtight container and store them at room temperature for 2 – 3 days or in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days.
Reheating: Reheat in the oven at 350°F for 5 – 10 minutes or in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds until warm. If you are using the microwave, make sure to heat the cornbread on a microwave-safe plate.
Check out more healthy side dish recipes!
- Fluffy Almond Milk Biscuits
- Maple Roasted Sweet Potato and Brussel Sprouts
- Zucchini Fritters (Gluten Free)
- Air Fried Sweet Potato Steak Fries
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Healthy Almond Flour Cornbread (Gluten Free)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened at room temp
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp (42g) honey
- 1 cup (140g) cornmeal, spooned and leveled
- 1 ¼ cup (140g) super-fine almond flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line or grease an 8×8 pan with parchment and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, almond milk, lemon juice, melted butter, and honey.
- In another bowl combine the cornmeal, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. I recommend using your hands to combine the flours and remove any lumps from the almond flour.
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ones and gently fold with a spatula to combine. Do not over-mix.
- Evenly pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 25 – 28 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before cutting into bars and enjoy!
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply