The best 30-minute creamy dairy free tomato soup recipe that is rich, comforting, and super flavorful. This healthy, sugar free tomato soup is made with fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, and light coconut milk.
My favorite sugar-free tomato soup
Tomato soup is a childhood favorite. I used to order it every time we went out to eat with cheesy grilled cheese on the side so I could dunk it into the soup. There was nothing better than coating my grilled cheese with each bite.
This dairy free tomato soup will not disappoint! It is super creamy and rich but also light and healthy. You will never be able to tell it is a lightened-up version of a classic rich tomato soup. I used both fresh and canned tomatoes to make sure it bursts with natural flavors, is naturally sweet, and has the best taste.
Seriously, if you are looking for an easy and cozy weeknight dinner, the gluten free tomato soup is perfect. You can enjoy it all year long, and makes for the best meal prep. Your kids, friends, and family will just love this healthy soup recipe!
Why this tomato soup is healthy:
This tomato soup is certainly a healthy meal option. If you are looking for a healthy meal, try this incredibly creamy tomato soup. It is packed with healthy ingredients like fresh cherry tomatoes, basil, and onion! Plus, it’s sugar-free and dairy free, but still super creamy and rich.
First, this recipe is dairy-free and vegan because we use light coconut milk instead of heavy cream.
Second, this tomato soup is gluten free and paleo.
Third, it is light and sugar free since we are naturally sweetening it with caramelized cherry tomatoes and a dash of balsamic vinegar.
Ingredients in dairy free tomato soup
All of my recipes call for simple and healthy ingredients. And this creamy dairy-free tomato soup is loaded with vegetables, packed with fresh herbs, and only uses good-for-you ingredients. Here is a list of what you will need:
- Avocado Oil or Olive Oil: This paleo tomato soup calls for 1 Tablespoon of either olive oil or avocado oil to saute the onions and fresh tomatoes.
- Yellow Onion: Grab one yellow onion and dice it up. This adds natural sweetness and a little sharpness.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Cut 1 pint of cherry tomatoes in half. We are going to caramelize them to give this sugar free tomato soup natural sweetness.
- Garlic: This gives this soup the best flavor.
- Dried Oregano: Add in 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano for flavor.
- Crushed tomatoes: You’ll need one 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes for the base of the soup.
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth: Broth adds extra flavor and richness. Make sure it is vegetable broth to make this a vegan tomato soup recipe.
- Balsamic Vinegar: We are not adding any sugar to this tomato soup; it is sugar-free and naturally sweetened! Instead, we use 1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to bring the sweetness out in the tomatoes.
- Fresh Basil: I love fresh basil. It gives this soup the best natural flavors.
- Coconut Milk: Finally, light coconut milk to make this dairy-free tomato soup rich, creamy, and vegan.
Kitchen tools needed
This tomato soup is so easy to make. It will come together in around 30 minutes with these few kitchen tools:
- Large pot or dutch oven
- Wooden spoon
- High speed blender or immersion blender
- Measuring Tools: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 tablespoon, 1/3 cup, and 1/2 cup.
How to make creamy dairy free tomato soup
This suagr free, dairy free tomato soup is sure to be your new favorite recipe! It comes together in a few simple steps in under 30 minutes! You do not need to be an experienced cook to make this. Here are step-by-step instructions:
First, heat avocado oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven to medium heat and add in the onion and cherry tomatoes. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes until the onions are translucent.
After that, add in the minced garlic and dried oregano and saute for 1 minute until fragrant.
Next, add in the crushed tomatoes, chicken or vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix and bring to a rapid boil, then reduce the heat to let the soup simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
Finally, transfer the blended soup back to the pot on the stovetop, add in the light coconut milk, and let the soup simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
Serve warm, topped with fresh basil, and side grilled cheese! Enjoy your delicious vegan and paleo tomato soup.
I love this healthy tomato soup as is, but if you want to customize them to your preferences, be my guest! Here is a list of my recommended ingredient substitutions to help you out:
- Light Coconut Milk: You can use full-fat coconut milk or heavy cream in place of light coconut milk.
- Dried Oregano: You can substitute the dried oregano for 1 Tablespoon of freshly chopped up oregano.
- Crushed Tomatoes: Instead of crushed tomatoes, you can use fire-roasted tomatoes or diced tomatoes. Just make sure the only ingredients are tomatoes and salt.
- Cherry Tomatoes: You can use grape tomatoes here.
- Balsamic Vinegar: I recommend using 2 teaspoons of coconut sugar here if you do not want to use the balsamic vinegar.
What to serve with tomato soup:
This tomato soup recipe wouldn’t be complete without cheesy grilled cheese. You can use gluten-free bread and even dairy-free cheese if you are vegan!
Besides grilled cheese, I serve this tomato soup as a side at dinner with grilled chicken, air fryer chicken thighs, pasta, or a side salad. I love this kale crunch salad. But my all-time favorite pairings are this healthy cornbread and these sourdough homemade croutons!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use fresh tomatoes?
You can certainly use fresh tomatoes, but you will need to crush them, which can be a time-consuming process. We find it is much easier and more time efficient to buy crushed tomatoes. They are just as healthy!
How is this tomato soup creamy without heavy cream?
We use light coconut milk instead of heavy cream to make this healthy tomato soup creamy and dairy free. Coconut milk is a great substitute for heavy cream, sour cream, and milk.
Is tomato soup gluten free?
Yes! This recipe is absolutely gluten-free. Just make sure you use gluten-free bread if you are serving it with grilled cheese.
Is this tomato soup paleo and whole 30?
Yes, this tomato soup is paleo and whole 30 since there is no dairy, gluten, or grains. Most tomato soup recipes are not since they use heavy creamy. But this creamy dairy free tomato soup is certainly paleo.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes! Just make sure you are using a large enough pot to fit all the ingredients.
How long does tomato soup take to cook?
Some tomato soups can take up to 2 – 3 hours to simmer and cook. I don’t have time for that, given I am working and very active. That is why I made this recipe for you! It is easy, comes together in 30 minutes, and is perfect for busy moms and people.
Can I freeze tomato soup?
Yes! You can freeze cooked tomato soup. Let the soup cool to room temperature, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. When you are ready to enjoy, place the frozen tomato soup in the refrigerator overnight or reheat it at low temperature on the stovetop until defrosted and warm. Continuously stir it as it thaws.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Storing leftover soup is easy. You can double or triple to recipe for meal prep too!
Storing: Store vegan tomato soup in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for 4 – 6 days.
Reheating: Reheat in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds until warm or on the stovetop on low until warm.
If you loved this recipe, try these soups next!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Creamy Dairy Free Tomato Soup
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, about 1 + ½ cups, halved
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 ⅓ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper, optional for spice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup fresh basil, removed from stem and chopped
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat avocado oil to medium heat. Add onion and cherry tomatoes. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes, until the onions are translucent and tomatoes are caramelized.
- Add minced garlic and dried oregano. Saute for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken or vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix and bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat at them soup simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Carefully transfer soup into a blender or use an immersion blender. Add in basil and blend until smooth.
- Transfer blended soup back to the pot on the stovetop, add in the light coconut milk, and let the soup simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Serve warm, topped with fresh basil, and side grilled cheese!
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!