Creamy Dairy Free Tomato Soup
The best ever creamy tomato soup recipe that is rich, comforting, and super flavorful. This healthy, gluten free and dairy free tomato soup is made with fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, canned tomatoes, and light coconut milk. Serve with grilled cheese for an easy lunch or dinner. Plus, it’s sugar free, vegan, and paleo!
The best creamy vegan tomato soup
Tomato soup is a childhood favorite. I used to order it every time we went out to eat with cheesy grilled cheese on the side so I could dunk it into the soup. There was nothing better than coating my grilled cheese with each bite.
This dairy free tomato soup will not disappoint! It is super creamy and rich but also light and healthy. You will never be able to tell it is a lightened-up version of a classic rich tomato soup. I used both fresh and canned tomatoes to make sure it bursts with natural flavors, is naturally sweet, and has the best taste.
Seriously, if you are looking for an easy and cozy weeknight dinner, the gluten free tomato soup is perfect. You can enjoy it all year long and makes for the best meal prep. Your kids, friends, and family will just love this healthy soup recipe!
Is tomato soup healthy?
Yes! Tomato soup is certainly a healthy meal option. First, this recipe is dairy free and vegan because we use light coconut milk instead of heavy cream. Second, this tomato soup is gluten free and paleo. Third, it is light and sugar free since we are naturally sweetening it with the caramelized cherry tomatoes and a dash of balsamic vinegar.
If you are looking for a healthy meal, try this incredibly creamy tomato soup. It is packed with healthy ingredients like fresh cherry tomatoes, basil, and onion!
Ingredients in suagr free tomato soup
All of my recipes call for simple and healthy ingredients. And this creamy dairy free tomato soup is loaded with vegetables, packed with fresh herbs, and only uses good-for-you ingredients. Here is a list of what you will need:
- Avocado Oil or Olive Oil: This paleo tomato soup calls for 1 Tablespoon of either olive oil or avocado oil to saute the onions and fresh tomatoes.
- Yellow Onion: Grab one yellow onion and dice it up.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Cut 1 pint of cherry tomatoes in half. We are going to caramelize them to give this sugar free tomato soup natural sweetness.
- Garlic: Mince 3 garlic cloves and add them to the pot. This gives this gluten free tomato soups the best flavor.
- Dried Oregano: Add in 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano.
- Crushed tomatoes: You’ll need one 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes for the base of the soup.
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth: Add in 1 + 1/3 cups of either chicken or vegetable broth for extra flavor and richness. Make sure it is vegetable broth to make this a vegan tomato soup recpice.
- Balsamic Vinegar: We are not adding any sugar to this tomato soup, it is sugar free and naturally sweetened! Instead, we use 1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to bring the sweetness out in the tomatoes.
- Salt & Pepper: You will need 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper for flavor.
- Fresh Basil: Add in 1/2 cup of fresh basil to give this soup the best natural flavors.
- Coconut Milk: Finally, add in 1/2 cup of light coconut milk to make this dairy free tomato soup rich, creamy, and vegan.
Kichen tools needed
This tomato soup is so easy to make. It will come together in around 30 minutes with these few kitchen tools:
How to make dairy free tomato soup
Say hello to your new go-to soup recipe. This creamy and healthy tomato soup recipe comes together in a few simple steps. You do not need to be an experienced cook to make this.
Step One: Heat avocado oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven to medium heat and add in the onion and cherry tomatoes. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes until the onions are translucent.
Step Two: Add in the minced garlic and dried oregano and saute for 1 minute until fragrant.
Step Three: Add in the crushed tomatoes, chicken or vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix and bring to a rapid boil, then reduce the heat at letting the soup simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
Step Five: Transfer the blended soup back to the pot on the stovetop, add in the light coconut milk, and let the soup simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
Serve warm, topped with fresh basil, and side grilled cheese! Enjoy your delicious vegan and paleo tomato soup.
I love this gluten free tomato soup as is, but if you want to customize them to your preferences, be my guest! Here is a list of my recommended ingredient substitutions to help you out.
- Light Coconut Milk: You can use full-fat coconut milk or heavy cream in place of the light coconut milk.
- Dried Oregano: You can substitute the dried oregano for 1 Tablespoon of freshly chopped up oregano.
- Crushed Tomatoes: Instead of crushed tomatoes, you can use fire roasted tomatoes or diced tomatoes. Just make sure the only ingredients are tomatoes and salt.
- Cherry Tomatoes: You can use grape tomatoes here.
- Balsamic Vinegar: I recommend using 2 teaspoons of coconut sugar here if you do not want to use the balsamic vinegar.
What to serve with tomato soup:
This tomato soup recipe wouldn’t be complete without a cheesy grilled cheese. You can use gluten free bread and even dairy free cheese if you are vegan!
Besides grilled cheese, I serve this tomato soup as a side at dinner with grilled chicken, homemade pasta, and sometimes steak. Tomato soup pairs well with almost every protein! My personal favorite is my feta stuffed chicken breasts.
Fequently Asked Questions
Is tomato soup gluten free?
Yes! This recipe is absolutely gluten-free. Just make sure you use gluten free bread if you are serving it with a grilled cheese.
Is tomato soup paleo?
Yes, this tomato soup is paleo and whole 30 since there is no dairy, gluten, or grains. Most tomato soup recipes are not since they use heavy creamy. But this creamy dairy free tomato soup is certainly paleo.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes! Just make sure you are using a large enough pot o fit all the ingredients.
How long does tomato soup take to cook?
Some tomato soups can take up to 2 – 3 hours to simmer and cook. I don’t have time for that given I am working and very active. That is why I made this recipe for you! It is easy, comes together in 30 minutes, and is perfect for busy moms and people.
Can I freeze tomato soup?
Yes! You can freeze cooked tomato soup. Let the soup cool to room temperature then transfer it to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. When you are ready to enjoy, place the frozen tomato soup in the refrigerator overnight or reheat it at low tempurature on the stovetop until defrosted and warm. Continuously stir it as it thaws.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Storing leftover soup is easy. You can double or triple to recipe for meal prep too!
Storing: Store vegan tomato soup in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for 4 – 6 days.
Reheating: Reheat in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds until warm or on the stovetop on low until warm.
Check out more healthy dinner recipes!
Need some more healthier dinner recipes? Here are some of my favorite Healthful Blondie recipes to try out….
- Healthy 30-Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Balsamic Feta Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Cauliflower Tacos With Cilantro Yogurt Crema
- Vegetable Fried Rice
- Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!Print
The best ever creamy tomato soup recipe that is rich, comforting, and bursts with flavor. This healthy, sugar and dairy free tomato soup is made with fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, canned tomatoes, and light coconut milk. Serve with grilled cheese for a comforting lunch or dinner. Plus, it’s gluten free, vegan, and paleo!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes (about 1 + ½ cups), halved
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 + 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional for spice)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, removed from stem and chopped
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat avocado oil to medium heat. Add onion and cherry tomatoes. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes, until the onions are translucent and tomatoes are caramelized.
- Add minced garlic and dried oregano. Saute for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken or vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix and bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat at them soup simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Carefully transfer soup into a blender or use an immersion blender. Add in basil and blend until smooth.
- Transfer blended soup back to the pot on the stovetop, add in the light coconut milk, and let the soup simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Serve warm, topped with fresh basil, and side grilled cheese!
Light Coconut Milk: You can use full-fat coconut milk or heavy cream in place of the light coconut milk.
Crushed Tomatoes: Instead of crushed tomatoes, you can use fire-roasted tomatoes or diced tomatoes.
Cherry Tomatoes: You can use grape tomatoes.
Balsamic Vinegar: I recommend using 2 teaspoons of coconut sugar here if you do not want to use the balsamic vinegar.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Lunch & Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American, Healthy
Keywords: Healthy tomato soup, dairy free tomato soup, whole 30 tomato soup, gluten free tomato soup, paleo tomato soup, creamy tomato soup
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!