Easy healthy 30-minute chicken tortilla soup for a comforting, hearty, and nutritious dinner. Made with simple ingredients like tomatoes, corn, carrots, cheese, poblano pepper, and crispy homemade tortilla strips. Delicious Mexican-inspired one-pot dinner made gluten-free, grain-free, and low-fat. The best chicken tortilla soup your family and kids will love!
The Best Ever Healthy 30-minute chicken tortilla soup
Chicken tortilla soup is one of my all-time favorite Mexican dishes! There is just something about the slightly spicy broth with tender shreaded chicken, with juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado, and those addictively crispy tortilla strips on top that I can’t resist. Tortilla soup makes for the best comforting dinner, especially in the cold winter months.
This healthy take on a traditional Mexican chicken tortilla soup is light, deep with flavor, and perfectly tangy. This chicken tortilla soup recipe takes things to a new level of deliciousness! It only takes 30 minutes and one pot to make! Seriously, any level cook can make this dinner recipe (even beginners!)
One of my favorite things about this tortilla soup recipe are the toppings! Add your own favorite toppings, from homemade crispy tortilla strips, a bit of cotija cheese, fresh guacamole, pico de gallo, or even sour cream. Everyone can add what they love, making this recipe super customizable!
This recipe makes enough that I stashed half in the freezer for those nights when I am tired and just want an easy dinner. This healthy chicken tortilla soup makes for the best meal prep! Absolutely ideal for family dinners, meal prep, athletes, and kids!
How I Made this chicken tortilla soup healthier:
This flavorful and Mexican-spiced chicken soup is clean, nutritious, and incredibly tasty! To make this easy chicken dish, you only need a few very simple ingredients, all of which are healthier alternatives to what you’ll find in store-bought brands or restaurant take-out. There is no added sugar, no gluten, and no random ingredients in this recipe!
Here are four ways that I made this healthy chicken tortilla soup more nutritious and health-friendly without taking away from the taste!
- Added fresh carrots for lots of vitamin A!
- I added a poblano pepper for lots of vitamins A and C!
- Used low-sodium chicken stock to increase the depth of flavors while reducing the sodium levels.
- I used grain-free tortillas, making think soup gluten-free, grain-free, and more protein-packed!
Ingredients in healthy chicken Tortilla soup
You’ll only need a few, simple ingredients to get this easy dinner recipe going! I am all about simplicity and ease, so don’t worry, you won’t need to go to the supermarket and buy a lot of expensive ingredients and spices. You probably have most of these ingredients in your pantry already. For this healthy dinner recipe, you’ll need chicken broth, tomatoes, and of course, chicken and tortillas!
- Chicken breasts or Rotisserie Chicken
- Olive Oil
- Yellow Onion
- Poblano Pepper – Tastes very similar to a green bell pepper with a little kick (not crazy spicy!! Just a mild heat)
- Whole Kernel Sweet Corn
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend – The perfect blend. of cheeses to top this delicious soup.
- Spices: cumin, chili powder, taco seasoning, salt and pepper
Easy Ingredient Substitutions for 30 minute chicken tortilla soup
You guys probably know by now that I love simple and easy recipes! If you don’t love every ingredient in this one, I am here to help you out with a list of the very best substitutions!
Make this dinner vegan! Just substitute the chicken with chickpeas or cauliflower and use vegetable broth not chicken broth. To prepare, add in the chickpeas or cauliflower on step 3!
Crushed Tomatoes: Simply use any canned diced tomato instead!
Canned Corn: Simply use 2 ears of fresh corn. Cut it off the cobb.
Chicken Broth: No worries, use vegetable broth is necessary.
Yellow Onion: Substitute yellow onion with any type of onion.
Dairy-Free: Just use dairy-free cheese!
Looking for other tasty dinner recipes? Check these out!
What You’ll Need to Make healthy 30-minute chicken tortilla soup
For this easy healthy dinner recipe, you’ll only need a couple of kitchen tools making the clean up super easy! To make this one-pot chicken tortilla soup, you’ll need:
- Chopping Knife
- Cutting Board
- One Large Pot or Dutch Oven
- Stirring Utensil
- Measuring cups: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 Tbsp, 1/4 cup, 1 cup.
How to Make Easy Healthy chicken tortilla soup
My favorite thing about this simple and easy chicken soup dinner recipe (besides the taste of course) is how easy they are to make! This recipe is the absolute perfect healthy family dinner or healthy meal prep recipe; plus, this Mexican chicken dish is gluten-free, grain-free, and healthy!
First, cut your tortilla into thin strips and toss in olive oil. Then, decide which method you are going to use to make the tortilla strips. If you are using the oven or toaster oven, heat to 375 F and line baking tray. After that, evenly spread across line tray and bake for 10 – 15 minutes until crispy. If you are using the stove-top method, Stove Top, heat a small pan to medium and fry until crispy (for about 5 – 7 minutes).
Meanwhile, lets start making the chicken tortilla soup!
First, in a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil to medium-high heat and add in the onion and poblano pepper. Stir intermittently and cook for 5 minutes until onions are soft. Next, add in the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
After that, add in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, carrots, corn, cumin, taco seasoning, chili powder, salt, pepper, lime juice, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add in the chicken breasts and reduce to a simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Then, remove the chicken breasts from the pot, shred using two forks or an electric mixer, and place back into soup.
Next, add the fresh cilantro, stir and simmer for 3 minutes. Taste soup and adjust seasonings if desired.
Now it’s time to plate! Spoon the soup into bowls, top with tortilla strips, lime, cilantro, cheese, avocado, and/or sour cream.
Serve immediately and enjoy your easy healthy 30-minute chicken tortilla soup!!
How to Store Extra Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Make extra healthy chicken tortilla soup? No worries, I love to save my extras in a sealed airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days or freeze for up to 6 months!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Healthy 30-Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, thinly diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into bite-sized rounds
- 1 can whole kernel sweet corn, 12 or 15 oz
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup shredded cheese, for garnish
- 1 avocado, optional for garnish
Crispy Tortilla Strips:
- 2 large tortillas, I love Siete Foods almond or chickpea flour tortilla
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
To Make Homemade Tortilla Strips:
- Cut tortilla into thin strips. Toss in olive oil and salt.
- Oven: Heat oven or toaster oven 375 and line baking tray. Evenly spread across line tray and bake for 10 - 12 minutes until crispy.
- Stove Top: Heat small pan to medium and fry until crispy (5 - 7 minutes).
To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil to medium-high heat. Add in onion and poblano pepper. Stir intermittently and cook for 5 minutes until onions are soft.
- Add in garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add in chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, carrots, corn, cumin, taco seasoning, chili powder, salt, pepper, lime juice, and bring to a boil.
- Add in chicken breasts and reduce to a simmer for 15 - 18 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken breasts from the pot, shred using two forks or an electric mixer, and place back into soup.
- Add fresh cilantro, stir, and let simmer for 3 minutes. Taste soup and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Spoon soup into bowls, top with tortilla strips, lime, cilantro, cheese, avocado, and/or sour cream.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply