This super easy cheesy and buttery air fryer garlic bread is made with parmesan cheese, fresh garlic, and herbs. It’s crispy, crunchy, and so delicious. The best under 10-minute side dish recipe!
The best crispy air fryer garlic bread recipe
Air frying garlic bread is the best way to cook it. It’s cheesy, buttery, crispy, and addicting. Garlic bread is one of those side dishes that seems to go well with everything! We love serving air fryer garlic bread with meatballs, pasta salads, chicken, soups, and seafood.
This is the best air fryer garlic bread recipe because it only takes 5 to 7 minutes to air fry. You don’t have to wait 20 minutes for an oven to preheat. The garlic bread comes out warm, soft on the inside, and crispy on the outside. Plus, the minced garlic is caramelized, and the cheese is melty.
One of the best things about this recipe is that you can use any bread you have on hand. I love using a baguette like French bread or ciabatta, but any loaf, roll, or bread will work.
Why you’ll love this air fryer recipe
- Quick & Easy: This garlic bread is quickly air-fried for 5 – 7 minutes.
- So Cheesy: It’s cheesy, buttery, and has the best garlic flavor.
- Ideal Side Dish: Perfect side dish or appetizer for any time of year.
- Make it Gluten-Free: Easily make it gluten-free with your favorite gluten-free bread.
- Customizable: I left over ten variations and flavor options (keep reading below).
- Everyone’s Favorite Dish: Everyone, even picky eaters and kids, will love it!
- Freezer-Friendly: Garlic bread is freezer-friendly and perfect for meal prep.
- Try these air fryer pizza rolls or this air fryer tortellini for another fun and flavorful air fryer recipe.
Ingredients & substitutions
Air fryer garlic bread calls for five simple ingredients. You’ll need a baguette, butter, garlic, parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley. Here is a list of all the ingredients so you are prepared. Make sure that you scroll to the bottom of this blog post to see the entire recipe card with measurements.
- Butter: There is nothing better than buttery garlic bread. I used salted butter, but you can also use unsalted butter and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Garlic: Grab 3 to 4 fresh garlic cloves. I highly recommend using freshly minced garlic for the best, most authentic flavor.
- Parmesan Cheese: This adds a lot of flavor and also makes this garlic bread cheesy.
- Fresh Parsley: Make sure to use fresh parsley and not dried. Fresh parsley adds the best herb and Italian flavor.
- Baguette: Finally, you need 1 loaf of crusted baguette. I love French bread or ciabatta, but you can also use sourdough.
How to make air fryer garlic bread
Air frying is the easiest cooking method to make homemade garlic bread. It only takes 5 minutes to air fry and 3 minutes to prepare. Here are step-by-step directions and pictures for visual reference:
First, preheat your air fryer to 350°F.
Then, mix the softened butter, minced garlic, half of the parmesan, and parsley in a small bowl.
After that, cut the loaf in half horizontally. Depending on the size of your air fryer, cut the baguette into quarters or a size that will fit into the air fryer. You may also need two rounds if you have a large baguette.
Next, spread the butter mixture over each piece of bread.
Finally, place them in the air fryer and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese on top.
Air fry for 5 – 7 minutes until golden, and the cheese is slightly crispy on top. Then, garnish with extra parsley, cut into individually sized pieces (if desired), and enjoy!
Expert tips for the best air fryer garlic bread
- Make sure the butter is at room temperature. I recommend letting the butter sit at room temperature for an hour before making this garlic bread. Room-temperature butter is easy to spread and mix with the other ingredients.
- Check at the 4-minute mark. Every air fryer is different, so I recommend checking the garlic bread at the 4-minute mark to see if it is cooking properly or browning quickly.
- Only use fresh ingredients. Use freshly minced garlic, parmesan, and parsley for the best natural flavor. Trust me.
- Make it dairy-free. You can make this garlic bread dairy-free by using dairy-free butter. I recommend Earth Balance sticks.
- Make it gluten-free. You can make this air fryer garlic bread gluten-free by using a gluten-free baguette or rolls.
- Serve it warm. Air fryer garlic bread is best served immediately after air frying when the cheese is still melted, and the bread is warm.
Air fryer garlic bread variations
- Caprese Garlic Bread. Add 2 – 3 tomato slices to each piece of garlic bread while you air fry. Then, after air frying, top the garlic bread with a drizzle of balsamic glaze and chopped-up basil.
- Caramelized Onion Garlic Bread. Add 1/3 cup of caramelized onion on top of the garlic bread when there are 1 – 2 minutes of air frying left.
- Goat Cheese Garlic Bread. Add 2 – 4 ounces of crumbled goat cheese to the garlic bread before air frying. Check at the 4-minute mark and asses if you need to air fry for longer.
- Extra Cheesy Garlic Bread. Add 1/3 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese or Monterey Jack.
- Use sourdough or ciabatta. Instead of French bread, you can use thick slices of sourdough or ciabatta.
What to eat with garlic bread
Garlic bread is a delicious and versatile side dish that pairs well with a variety of main courses and appetizers. Here are some ideas for what to eat with garlic bread:
- Spaghetti or Pasta Dishes: Try this Chicken Bolognese Pasta, Lemon Caper Pasta, or this Chicken Broccoli Pasta Bake.
- Meatballs: We love these extra-juicy Zucchini Turkey Meatballs!
- Soup: Serve garlic bread alongside a bowl of your favorite soup; we love this Greek Chickpea Soup, this creamy Tomato Soup, and this Turkey Lentil Soup.
- Eggs: Garlic bread can be a tasty side dish for breakfast or brunch, served with scrambled eggs or omelets.
- Chicken: Chicken and garlic bread are the perfect pairing. Try this juicy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs, these Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breast, or this Balsamic Feta Stuffed Chicken.
- Seafood: Pair garlic bread with seafood dishes like shrimp scampi, crab cakes, or grilled fish.
- Salad: For a light dish, serve garlic bread with a mixed greens salad or this blackened salmon Caesar salad.
- Pasta Salads: This filling and protein-packed chicken Caesar pasta salad and this Greek chickpea pasta salad go great with garlic bread.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of bread is best for garlic bread?
French bread or ciabatta is the best type of bread for garlic bread.
Can I use regular sliced bread?
Yes, you can use sliced bread for this garlic bread. The air fry time will decrease to 3 – 5 minutes.
Can you use stale bread for garlic bread?
Yes, you can use slightly stale bread for garlic bread since the butter will help soften it as it cooks. Do not use super hard bread that has been stale for weeks.
Is it gluten-free?
You can make gluten-free garlic bread by using gluten-free baguettes or rolls.
Can I bake it if I don’t have an air fryer?
To bake garlic bread, preheat your oven to 400°F and bake for 10 – 12 minutes until golden, buttery, and crisp.
Can you cook frozen garlic bread in an air fryer?
Yes, you can cook frozen garlic bread in the air fryer. Follow the package instructions for temperature and time, but it’s usually around 8-10 minutes at 350°F (175°C).
How to store, freeze, and reheat air fryer garlic bread:
Storing: Air fryer garlic bread is best stored at room temperature for 1 – 2 days. If you store it in the fridge, it can become hard and stale.
Freezing: You can freeze cooked garlic bread by wrapping it tightly in foil or plastic wrap and placing it in a freezer-safe container or bag to prevent freezer burn. When you’re ready to enjoy it, reheat it in the oven or an air fryer for a crispy texture.
Reheating: You can reheat garlic bread in the oven, toaster oven, or air fryer. Set the oven, toaster oven, and air fryer to 350ºF and reheat the bread for 5 – 10 minutes until warm.
If you loved this recipe, try these next!
- Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Gluten-Free Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Air Fryer Chicken Sausages
- Air Fryer Tortellini
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- 4 – 5 tbsp salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 – 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, more if desired
- 2 tsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 baguette, French bread or ciabatta
- Preheat air fryer to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the softened butter, minced garlic, half of the parmesan, and parsley.
- Cut the loaf in half horizontally. Depending on the size of your air fryer, cut the baguette into quarters or a size that will fit into air fryer.
- Spread butter mixture over each piece of bread, place them in the air fryer, and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese on top.
- Air fry for 5 – 7 minutes, until golden and the cheese is slightly crispy on top.
- Garnish with extra parsley, cut into individually sized pieces (if desired), and enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!