This refreshing watermelon basil salad is full of healthy ingredients like fresh blueberries, sliced cucumber, and crumbled feta cheese. It’s tossed in a simple lime dressing and makes for the perfect summer side dish!
The best watermelon feta blueberry salad
Watermelon feta salad is a classic summer dish. But this recipe is so much better than the traditional ones because we add crunchy cucumbers, fresh basil, and sweet blueberries.
This watermelon basil salad is refreshing and tossed in a simple lime dressing made from black pepper, salt, olive oil, and fresh lime juice. It’s tangy and sweet.
One of the best parts about this salad recipe is that it only takes 10 minutes to throw together! Any level cook can make this easy recipe, and it’s the perfect side dish.
You can even spice things up and add different ingredients like avocado, almonds, walnuts, or habanero pepper. I list out so many recipe variations below!
Why you’ll love this healthy recipe
- Easy no-bake summer recipe ready in under 10 minutes.
- It’s gluten-free and grain-free.
- Dressed in a tangy lime dressing.
- Refreshing watermelon feta salad with blueberries and basil.
- Perfect side dish for cookouts and family grill nights.
- Easily make a day in advance and store in the fridge.
This watermelon salad calls for seven ingredients. You’ll need fresh watermelon, blueberries, feta, basil, and limes. Here is a list of ingredients so you are prepared:
Watermelon Blueberry Salad:
- Watermelon: You need around 6 cups of fresh watermelon cut up into 1-inch cubes. I like to buy a whole watermelon from the store or farmer’s market and cut it up. You can buy pre-cut watermelon, but it’s not the freshest.
- English Cucumber: For a refreshing crunch. If you use a regular cucumber rather than an English one. I recommend scooping out the seeds in the middle before adding them to the salad.
- Blueberries: For the perfect sweet summer flavor. I just love the blueberries in this watermelon feta salad. They add a great pop of flavor.
- Basil: Make sure to use fresh basil! This adds the best herb flavor to this salad.
- Feta Cheese: For a creamy and tangy flavor. You can buy pre-crumbled feta, or you can crumble a block up with your hands.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: You only need a little! It’s super tasty, but you can leave it off if you want.
- Limes: Plus, you’ll need the juice from 1 to 2 limes for a tangy flavor.
- Honey: The honey is optional in this recipe because the blueberries already add sweetness. Feel free to add one tablespoon!
- Salt & Pepper: Season to taste, but trust me when I say that the combination of black pepper and watermelon is crazy delicious!
Kitchen tools required
You only need a few kitchen utensils to make this fresh watermelon basil and feta salad. Here is a list:
- Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Kitchen Knife
- Salad Spoons
- Measuring Tools: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make watermelon basil salad
This refreshing watermelon basil salad comes together in three steps in under 10 minutes. It’s great for meal prep, as a side for a family dinner, or dish for a block party. Here are step-by-step directions:
First, add watermelon, cucumber, blueberries, basil, and feta to a large salad bowl.
Then, make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
Finally, pour dressing on top of the watermelon salad and gently toss to combine. I recommend tasting it and then adjusting the seasoning to your preference.
Then, sprinkle with extra feta crumbles for serving, and enjoy the very best watermelon basil feta salad!
Watermelon basil salad variations
This watermelon basil salad is so easy to customize to your preferences. Here are some of my favorite ways to change it up:
- Add avocado. Cut up 1 avocado into bite-sized pieces and add it to the salad for extra creaminess and healthy fats.
- Add spice. If you want to make this salad spicy, add in 1 habanero chili seeded and finely chopped.
- Add nuts. For extra crunchiness, feel free to add in 1/3 – 1/2 cup of slivered almonds, walnuts, or pecans.
- Use goat cheese. Instead of feta, you can you crumbled goat cheese.
- Make it a full meal. Add 4 – 5 ounces of arugula or spinach to bulk this salad up.
- Add other berries. Instead of blueberries, use strawberries or blackberries.
- Skip olive oil dressing. You can leave off the olive oil if you want.
Watermelon salad serving suggestions
Watermelon basil salad is the perfect healthy side dish for summer grilling and cookouts. It pairs well with so many recipes! Here are some ideas:
- Grilled Honey Soy Chicken Thigh Skewers
- Grilled Turkey Burgers
- No-Bean Veggie Burger
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breast
- Balsamic Feta Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Zucchini Boats with Ground Turkey
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make it dairy free?
To make this watermelon basil salad dairy-free, remove the feta cheese and substitute it with cubes of avocado. The avocado makes the salad creamy too!
Can I use goat cheese instead of feta?
Yes! You can use crumbled goat cheese instead of the feta in this watermelon salad.
Is watermelon salad still good without the dressing?
Yes! You can serve this watermelon salad without the lime dressing if you want. I love the lime dressing because it ties all the flavors together, but it is not necessary.
Is this recipe healthy?
Yes, this watermelon salad is undoubtedly healthy. It is made with simple and fresh ingredients, there are no artificial sugars or flavors, and it’s packed with micronutrients.
How long does it keep?
This watermelon basil and feta salad keep for up to 2 days in the fridge.
Can I make it in advance?
Yes, you can make this salad up to 1 day in advance if you plan on serving it at a party or cookout. Just cover the top of the salad bowl with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store it in the fridge.
How to store leftovers:
Store leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
If you love this salad recipe, try these next!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Watermelon Basil Salad
- 5 – 6 cups cubed watermelon, 1-inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups English cucumber, peeled and cut into quarter moons
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ⅓ – ½ cup crumbed feta cheese
- 1 -2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice, about 1 – 2 limes
- 1 tbsp honey, for optional sweetness
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Add watermelon, cucumber, blueberries, basil, and feta to a large salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing on top of the watermelon salad and gently toss to combine. I recommend tasting it and then adjusting the seasoning to your preference.
- Sprinkle with extra feta crumbles for serving, and enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!