These juicy grilled BBQ shrimp skewers are the perfect healthy 10-minute summer meal. They’re quick and easy to grill and coated in tangy barbecue sauce!
The juiciest 10-minute bbq shrimp
You have to try these incredibly juicy and flavorful grilled bbq shrimp skewers. They are perfect for perfect summer barbecues and cookouts!
Shrimp is one of my favorite proteins – it is very high in lean protein, healthy, and keto. It tastes so good paired with this barbecue sauce and this watermelon feta salad.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it only takes 5 minutes to prep and 5 minutes to grill. You do not need to marinate the shrimp before cooking! Plus, shrimp cook super quickly, so this is the perfect busy person recipe.
Anyways, I cannot wait to hear what you think about this super juicy barbecue grilled shrimp recipe. It’s one of my all-time favorites!
Why you’ll love this summer recipe
- Juiciest grilled shrimp skewers coated in bbq sauce.
- Easy summer lunch or dinner.
- Ideal for family dinner, grill-outs, or block parties.
- Healthy, high-protein recipe.
- Gluten-free, keto, and dairy-free grilled shrimp.
- You can grill it outdoors or indoors on a grill pan.
- Ready in under 10 minutes.
- You don’t need to marinate the shrimp.
These grilled bbq shrimp skewers call for five ingredients. You’ll need raw shrimp, bbq sauce, seasonings, and a dash of olive oil. Here is a list of all the ingredients, so you are prepared:
- Shrimp: You need 1 pound of peeled and deveined shrimp. You can use fresh or frozen shrimp; however, if using frozen shrimp, make sure to thaw them before grilling!
- BBQ Sauce: I love Stubb’s sugar-free barbecue sauce, but you can use your favorite one.
- Olive Oil: Just one tablespoon to keep the shrimp extra moist and juicy when we grill them.
- Paprika: To add some extra flavor to the grilled shrimp.
- Garlic Powder: Plus a little garlic powder for the best taste.
Kitchen tools required
You only need a few kitchen utensils to make these grilled bbq shrimp skewers. Here is a list:
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Skewers or Metal Skewers
- Grill or Grill Pan
- Measuring Tools: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon, and 1/3 cup
How to make grilled bbq shrimp
These bbq shrimp skewers are so easy to make and take under 5 minutes to grill. They are great for summer cookouts, grilling, and dinners. Here are step-by-step directions:
First, preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
You can also use an indoor grill pan. Make sure to lightly grease your grill by spraying or dipping paper towels in oil and spreading them across the grill.
Then, add the shrimp to a large mixing bowl along with 3 Tbsp of BBQ sauce, olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Save the rest of the BBQ sauce to brush onto the shrimp later.
Thread 5 to 6 shrimp onto each grilling skewer. If you are using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water for 30 minutes so they do not burn on the grill.
Next, grill the shrimp for about 2 minutes on the first side. Flip and brush the grilled side with extra bbq sauce. Grill the second side for an additional 2 – 3 minutes. Once done, remove from the grill and brush both sides again with the remaining bbq sauce.
NOTE: Shrimp cook quickly, so make sure you don’t overcook them, or they will be rubbery and tough.
Serve immediately and enjoy your grilled bbq shrimp!
What does shrimp taste like?
Many people who don’t like fish love shrimp! Properly cooked shrimp is juicy, tender, and doesn’t have an overly fishy taste. It has a very mild flavor and works great with many different sauces, marinades, and condiments.
Tips for grilled shrimp
- Preheat your grill. If it is not preheated, then the cook times will change, and you could end up with raw shrimp or overcooked shrimp.
- Don’t overcook the shrimp. Shrimp cooks very quickly, so make sure you don’t overcook them. Otherwise, they will be rubbery and tough.
- Peel and devein the shrimp. Do not use shrimp with shells still on. Otherwise, the bbq sauce won’t season the shrimp. Tails are fine!
- Brush your cooked shrimp with sauce again. This locks in all the flavors and makes them extra tasty.
- Broil the shrimp in the oven if you don’t have a grill. If you don’t have a grill pan or a grill, use your oven. Simply place the shrimp skewers on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and broil for 2-3 minutes on one side, then carefully flip and broil for another 2-3 minutes.
Barbecue grilled shrimp suggestions
Grilled bbq shrimp is the perfect healthy summer dinner. It pairs well with so many side dishes! Here are eight of my favorite recipes:
- Watermelon Basil Salad
- Orzo Pesto Salad
- Kale Crunch Salad
- Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad
- Summer Corn & Arugula Salad
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Healthy Cornbread
Frequently Asked Questions
How long should you grill shrimp?
You should grill shrimp for about 5 – 6 minutes total – 2 minutes on the first side and another 2 – 3 minutes on the other side.
What’s the best temperature to grill shrimp?
I always grill my shrimp on medium-high, which is about 370 – 450 degrees Ferenhight.
Is grilled shrimp keto?
Yes, this grilled shrimp recipe is keto, gluten free, and grain free.
Why is my grilled shrimp rubbery?
Overcooked shrimp is tough and rubbery. Remember that shrimp cooks very quickly, so make sure to cook them no more than 2 – 3 minutes per side.
Do I need to soak wooden skewers in water before using them on the grill?
To prevent burning, soak your wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes prior to grilling. This ensures that they don’t catch fire on the grill.
Can I use a grill pan instead of an outdoor grill?
Yes, you can use a grill pan indoors on the stove to cook these grilled bbq shrimp skewers. I wrote out the instructions below on the recipe card.
How long do they keep?
Grilled shrimp keep for 3 days in the refrigerator. I recommend you enjoy them as soon as they are cooked for the best taste!
How to store and reheat leftovers:
Storing: Store leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheating: For best results, reheat grilled shrimp off the skewer in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds or until warm.
If you love this recipe, try these next!
- Al Pastor Shrimp Tacos
- Harissa Shrimp with Cauliflower & Broccoli Couscous
- Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breast
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Grilled BBQ Shrimp
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce, I love Stubb’s sugar-free
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ – 1 tsp salt, based on taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. You can also use an indoor grill pan. Make sure to lightly grease your grill by spraying or dipping paper towels in oil and spreading them across the grill.
- Add the shrimp to a large mixing bowl along with 3 Tbsp of BBQ sauce, olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Save the rest of the BBQ sauce to brush onto the shrimp later.
- Thread 5 to 6 shrimp onto each grilling skewer. If using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water for 30 minutes, so they do not burn on the grill.
- Grill the shrimp for about 2 minutes on the first side. Flip and brush the grilled side with extra bbq sauce.
- Grill the second side for an additional 2 – 3 minutes. Once done, remove from the grill and brush both sides again with the remaining bbq sauce. NOTE: Shrimp cook quickly, so make sure you don’t overcook them, or they will be rubbery and tough.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!