These easy air fryer smashed potatoes are incredibly crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. A buttery, crisp, and flavorful appetizer or side dish to any meal!
Best crispy air fryer smashed potatoes
I am so excited to share this recipe with you! It’s one of my all-time favorites and is sure to be one of yours too soon. I mean just take a look at the pictures – how delicious and mouthwatering do they look?!
As you can probably tell, I am obsessed with them. Air fried smashed potatoes are so easy to make and only call for five ingredients. They are crispy and butter on the outside and super fluffy and soft on the inside.
If you are looking for a new and fun side dish that pairs well with just about any dinner, you need to try these air fryer smashed potatoes. They are perfect for family dinners, your kids will love them, and you can even serve them as a gameday or Holiday appetizer.
These smashed potatoes are about to be your new favorite air fryer recipe. You can even watch the video to see exactly how to make them!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Air fryer smashed potatoes are quick and easy to make.
- They are super tasty with a buttery, herb flavor.
- Extra crispy on the outside and tender, fluffy on the inside.
- The perfect side dish for any dinner.
- They are gluten free!
- Easily make these air fryer smashed potatoes vegan and dairy free.
- Full tasty-style video to see how to make these air fryer smashed potatoes.
- Try these air fryer sweet potato cubes for another fun and delicious recipe!
You only need five ingredients plus salt and pepper to make air fryer smashed potatoes! They make for the perfect quick side dish and appetizer. Here is a list of ingredients:
- Baby Gold Potatoes: The main ingredient! Grab about 8 – 10 small potatoes (or 1 pound).
- Butter: Honestly, butter makes everything taste better. You’ll need 1 Tablespoon to add the perfect rich flavor.
- Olive Oil: The key to making these mashed potatoes extra crispy!
- Garlic Powder: I love garlic, especially with potatoes. We use garlic powder to get the taste and avoid burning fresh garlic.
- Salt & Black Pepper: Seasoning to your preference.
- Parsley: For the perfect fresh garnish.
Kitchen tools required
This recipe requires a few different kitchen tools. Here is a list, so you are prepared and ready to cook!
How to make air fryer smashed potatoes
These homemade crispy smashed potatoes are made in a few simple steps right in your air fryer! They are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Here are step-by-step instructions:
First, bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat and add in 2 teaspoons of salt. Meanwhile, wash and dry the potatoes, then add them to the boiling water and cook for 15 – 25 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. They should be fully cooked and fork-tender soft. Alternatively, you can air fry or microwave them (instructions below).
When the potatoes are cooked, drain them in a colander and let them sit for 5 minutes until they can be handled safely. Meanwhile, preheat your air fryer to 400°F and coat with non-stick or olive oil spray.
Then, transfer the potatoes to a large sheet pan and use the bottom of a cup or serving fork to gently “smash” them. The thinner the potatoes, the crispier they will be. Be generous with the salt and pepper.
Next, drizzle with the melted butter first, followed by the olive oil. Then, sprinkle with the garlic powder, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. I recommend being generous with salt and pepper. Then, Using a spatula, carefully add the smashed potatoes into the preheated air fryer basket, making sure they do not overlap or else they will not get crispy.
Finally, air fry for 15 – 20 minutes until the potatoes are super crispy and golden. Do not flip them while cooking! Serve hot, garnished with parsley and flakey sea salt if desired.
What to serve with air fryer smashed potatoes:
You can serve them with so many things! Some of my favorite recipes to pair with smashed potatoes:
- Zucchini Turkey Meatballs
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs (Boneless & Skinless)
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Turkey Zucchini Boats
- Goat Cheese & Pesto Crusted Chicken
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use baby red potatoes?
Yes, you can use baby red potatoes instead of yellow or gold ones.
Can I microwave the potatoes instead of boiling them?
Yes! Just add the cleaned whole potatoes to a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for about 5 – 8 minutes until cooked, then continue with step 4 to air fry.
Can I air fry the potatoes instead of boiling them?
You can use your air fryer for the whole cooking process instead of boiling the potatoes to soften them. To do that, simply add the cleaned potatoes to air fryer at 400°F for 15 – 20 minutes, then continue with step 4.
Do I need to preheat my air fryer?
Yes! To get maximum crispiness, preheat your air fryer to 400°F.
Can I make them vegan?
Yes, make these smashed potatoes vegan with vegan butter or substitute the butter for an extra tablespoon of olive oil.
What if my air fryer basket is small?
If your air fryer basket doesn’t fit all the potatoes, cook in two batches to ensure maximum crispiness.
Can I make them in my oven?
Of course. If you don’t have an air fryer, just preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and evenly space out your seasoned, smashed potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Make sure they don’t overlap. Then, bake for 25-35 minutes, until crispy and golden.
What temperature is best to air fry smashed potatoes?
Air fry them at 400 degrees Ferenhight for 15 – 20 minutes for crispy and fluffy smashed potatoes.
How to store and reheat leftovers:
Smashed potatoes are best served warm and fresh out of the air fryer. However, they can be but can be stored for up to 5 days in a covered container in the refrigerator. To reheat, air fry at 400°F for 5 – 8 minutes until warm.
Try these air fryer recipes next!
- Air Fryer Quesadillas
- Air Fried Sweet Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Hash Browns
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- 1 lb baby gold potatoes, about 8 – 10 small potatoes
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat and add in 2 teaspoons of salt. Meanwhile, wash and dry the potatoes, then add them to the boiling water and cook for 15 – 25 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. They should be fully cooked and fork-tender soft. Alternatively, you can air fry or microwave them (instructions below).
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain them in a colander and let them sit for 5 minutes until they can be handled safely.
- Meanwhile, preheat your air fryer to 400°F and coat with non-stick or olive oil spray.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large sheet pan and use the bottom of a cup or serving fork to gently “smash” them. The thinner the potatoes, the crispier they will be. Be generous with the salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with the melted butter first, followed by olive oil. Then, sprinkle with the garlic powder, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. I recommend being generous with salt and pepper.
- Using a spatula, carefully add the smashed potatoes into the preheat air fryer basket, making sure they do not overlap or else they will not get crispy.
- Air fry for 15 – 20 minutes, until the potatoes are super crispy and golden. Do not flip them while cooking!
- Serve hot, garnished with parsley and flakey sea salt if desired.
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!