Best golden, crispy homemade air fryer shredded hash browns are easy to make with just 3 ingredients. This recipe is the perfect healthy and gluten-free breakfast, brunch, or dinner side! You can use frozen hash browns too.
Best homemade air fryer hash browns with shredded potatoes
We are a huge breakfast household – from classic waffles to banana pancakes, to home fries. But nothing beats crispy hash browns – they are my favorite breakfast and brunch recipe. They go perfectly with eggs and bacon.
Anyways, you have to try this shredded air fryer hash browns recipe. It takes 15 minutes to make, is made with shredded potatoes, and is super flavorful. My favorite part is the crispy and crunchy edges.
These hash browns are made with just three simple ingredients plus salt and pepper. You probably already have all the ingredients in your pantry – olive oil, garlic powder, and potatoes. I used russet potatoes since they get extra crispy from their high-starch content, but you can also use Yukon gold or sweet potatoes.
Serve these crispy shredded hash browns with a side of scrambled or fried eggs for the best weekend brunch. They are gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, healthy, and perfect for family breakfasts and even brunch parties!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Crispy: Air fryer shredded hash browns are crispy with golden brown outsides and tender, soft insides
- Healthy: Since we use hand-shredded potatoes, these hash browns are healthy and made without random additives or ingredients.
- Less Oil: Air frying requires less oil compared to traditional frying methods, making this air fryer hash browns recipe a healthier alternative without sacrificing flavor and texture.
- 3 Ingredients: You need potatoes, garlic powder, and a dash of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- No Flipping Hassle: Unlike stovetop cooking, you don’t need to flip hash browns as often in an air fryer.
- Shredded Potatoes: I love that this recipe is made with hand-shredded potatoes, not hash brown patties.
- Gluten-Free & Vegan: These homemade hash browns are 100% gluten-free and vegan.
- Frozen Hash Browns Option: If you want, you can use bagged, frozen hash browns (shredded potatoes) instead of hand-shredding russet potatoes. You need about 3 cups.
Ingredients & substitutions
This air fryer shredded hash browns recipe requires three ingredients plus salt and pepper. They are so easy to make! Here is a list so you have everything prepared:
- Potatoes: Grab 3 large Russet potatoes for this hash browns recipe. Once air fried, the shredded potatoes get crispy edges and soft inside. I recommend russet potatoes because they have more starch and get crispier than other types of potatoes; however, you can substitute them with Yukon gold or sweet potatoes.
- Olive Oil: For this recipe, you’ll need 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, plus some spray to ensure the shredded potatoes get extra crispy. You can use avocado oil too.
- Garlic Powder: Add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder for the best flavor. I don’t recommend using freshly minced garlic because it will burn in the air fryer.
- Salt & Black Pepper: Add some for seasoning. Adjust to your preference.
How to air fryer hash browns
These homemade crispy hash browns come together in under 15 minutes in the air fryer. Simply shred your potatoes, season them, and air fry! You can even use frozen hash browns if needed! Here are step-by-step instructions:
First, preheat your air fryer to 370°F.
Then, scrub the potatoes clean under water and pat them dry. Using a box grater, carefully shred the potatoes. Add them to a colander and run the shredded potatoes under cold water until the water runs clear (about 10 – 20 seconds).
After that, transfer the shredded potatoes to a wad of paper towels or a clean dish towel and firmly press them dry, squeezing out all the excess liquid. Ensure the potato shreds are as dry as possible for the crispiest hash browns.
Then, transfer the shredded potatoes to a mixing bowl and add olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Spray the inside of your air fryer basket with avocado or olive oil. Then, add the seasoned shredded potatoes and use a spatula to spread and press the shreds into an even layer across the basket. The potatoes should be “packed” and NOT loosely spread about the basket.
Finally, spray the top with extra avocado or olive oil spray and air fry for 12-16 minutes, until golden with crispy edges—no need to flip. Every air fryer is different, so check at the 10-minute mark!
Carefully remove your shredded hash browns from the air fryer, and enjoy!
Expert recipe tips
- Shred your potatoes on the box grater’s largest setting. This ensures that your hash browns are thick and won’t burn too fast.
- Run the shredded potatoes under cold water. This step is super important because it removes the starch from the potatoes and allows the hash browns to cook properly and crispen.
- Dry the potato shreds well. The hash browns will not be as crispy if you don’t dry your potatoes!
- Use a spatula to press the shredded potatoes into the air fryer. This makes sure the hash browns cook evenly.
- Don’t skip out on the olive oil and spray. The olive oil and spray make the hash browns crispy, don’t omit them.
- Use frozen hash browns. If needed, you can certainly use frozen shredded hash browns (found in the freezer section of your grocery store). Just add around 3 cups to a mixing bowl with olive oil, garlic powder, and salt & pepper. Do not allow them to thaw before cooking.
- Don’t overfill your air fryer. All air fryers have different basket sizes. Make sure you don’t overfill your air fryer with seasoned shredded potatoes because they will not cook properly or crisp up. If you have a small air fryer, cook in batches!
- Add onions & bell pepper. Mix things up and add diced onions, bell peppers, or other vegetables to your hash browns for extra flavor and texture. Just cook down the vegetables in a pan for 2 – 4 minutes before adding the potatoes to ensure they’re evenly cooked. You can add up to 1/2 cup to this recipe.
How to cook frozen hash browns in the air fryer:
You can easily use this recipe to make frozen air fryer shredded hash browns. Simply follow the same preparations and cooking instructions below, but instead of hand-shredded three russet potatoes, add 3 cups of frozen hash browns to the mixing bowl. Do not allow the frozen hash browns to thaw before air frying, or they will be soggy, not crispy.
Are hash browns gluten-free?
Traditional homemade hash browns made from potatoes, salt, and oil are naturally gluten-free. However, if you’re purchasing pre-made hash browns or enjoying them at a restaurant, it’s important to check for any added ingredients (like flour) that might contain gluten. Some pre-packaged frozen hash browns could have additives, fillers, and seasonings that contain gluten. Always read labels to ensure they are gluten-free certified.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of potatoes are best for hash browns?
Russet potatoes are best for making hash browns. They get very crispy since they have a high starch content. However, you can also use other varieties like Yukon Gold or sweet potatoes for a different flavor and texture.
Can I use sweet potatoes instead?
Yes, you can use sweet potato instead for these hash browns, but the air fry time will be LESS. I tested them and air-fried them for 8 – 10 minutes total.
Are hash browns vegan?
Hash browns are vegan if the recipe uses oil instead of butter. These air fryer hash browns are 100% vegan. There is no butter in this recipe.
Is this recipe gluten-free?
This recipe is 100% gluten-free. Russet potatoes are naturally gluten-free, and we don’t add flour.
Can I double the recipe?
If you want to double this recipe, you must cook it in batches. Don’t overfill your air fryer with shredded potatoes because they will not cook properly or crisp up.
Can you put shredded hash browns in the air fryer?
Yes! You can put shredded hash browns in the air fryer. Air fryers are a great way to cook shredded hash browns since they are crispy and golden without excessive oil.
Can I add onions or other vegetables to my hash browns?
Feel free to add diced onions, bell peppers, or other vegetables to your hash browns for extra flavor and texture. Just cook down the vegetables in a pan for 2 – 4 minutes before adding the potatoes to ensure they’re evenly cooked. You can add up to 1/2 cup to this recipe.
Are hash browns healthy?
Not all hash browns are healthy since many pre-made hashbrowns contain additives, fillers, and excess salt. This recipe is since (1) we only use three ingredients, (2) there are no fillers, additives, or flours, (3) we only use one tablespoon of olive oil, (4) they are air fried, not deep dried or pan fried, (5) we use homemade shredded potatoes, and (6) they are gluten-free, vegan, and dairy-free.
How to store and reheat hash browns:
Storing: Air fryer hash browns are best enjoyed within 10 – 20 minutes of cooking. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days.
Reheating: For best results, reheat in the air fryer at 350°F for 4 – 7 minutes or until warm. You can also reheat in the oven at 350°F for 5 – 10 minutes or until warm.
If you love this recipe, try these next!
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Crispy Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Fingerling Potatoes
- Air Fryer Home Fries
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Air Fryer Shredded Hash Browns
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp extra-vergin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat your air fryer to 370°F.
- Scrub potatoes clean under water and pat them dry. Using a box grater, carefully shred the potatoes. Add them to a colander and run the shredded potatoes under cold water until the water runs clear (about 10 – 20 seconds).
- Transfer the shredded potatoes to a wad of paper towels or a clean dish towel and firmly press them dry, squeezing out all the excess liquid. For the crispiest hash browns, make sure the potato shreds are as dry as possible.
- Transfer shredded potatoes to a mixing bowl and add olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Spray the inside of your air fryer basket with avocado or olive oil spray. Add seasoned shredded potatoes and use a spatula to spread and press the shreds into an even layer across the basket. The potatoes should be “packed” and NOT loosely spread about the basket.
- Spray the top with extra avocado or olive oil spray and air fry for 12-16 minutes, until golden with crispy edges. No need to flip. Every air fryer is different, so check at the 10-minute mark.
- Remove from the air fryer and enjoy!
I only recommend products I love and use myself. In full disclosure, I may receive a small compensation for purchasing a product I recommend. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!