Restaurant-style air fryer home fries are extra crispy, fluffy, and loaded with caramelized onions and peppers. Ready in under 20 minutes, these breakfast potatoes are the perfect side dish. No butter is needed!
Super crispy 20-minute air fryer home fries
I love breakfast potatoes! These crispy and thin air fryer hash browns are insanely delicious too, but when I am in the mood for something a little more classic, I go for these home fries. I really outdid myself with this air fryer home fries recipe. They are fluffy and tender on the inside, crispy on the outside, and taste exactly like the classic ones you can get at any diner in America.
Air fryer home fries are an easy side dish for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. They take under 20 minutes to make and only call for six simple ingredients. Plus, any level cook can make them since the recipe is easy to follow.
Another thing I love about this recipe is that they are secretly healthy! There is no butter in these home fries, and the recipe is gluten-free, vegan, and dairy-free. But don’t worry, these breakfast potatoes are insanely delicious.
You can even add bacon, turkey bacon, ham, cheese, and garlic to these home fries. I left so many recipe variations for you below!
Why you’ll love this air fryer recipe:
- The potatoes are ultra crispy and fluffy.
- No butter in this recipe.
- Breakfast potatoes are a great savory side dish.
- Easy to make in under 20 minutes.
- Kids will love them.
- Salty and perfectly seasoned.
- Option to add bacon, ham, turkey bacon, or cheese.
- Try these thin and crispy homemade air fryer hash browns next!
Ingredients & substitutions
These are the crispiest and most delicious air fryer home fries. This recipe calls for six simple ingredients found at any grocery store. You need potatoes, olive oil, garlic powder, onion, and a few seasonings. Here is a list of everything you need so you are prepared:
- Potatoes: We like Yukon gold potatoes for this home fries recipe because they are a starchier potato variety that gets very crispy when air fried. When they are air fried, the texture is tender and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. You can also use russet potatoes.
- Onion: We love white or yellow onions, but you can also use red onion (it will just have a sharper taste).
- Bell Pepper: Green bell pepper is our favorite, but red is great too. You can also use orange or yellow if needed – they are just a sweeter variety.
- Olive Oil: This is essential to get these breakfast potatoes extra crispy in the air fryer. You can also use avocado oil. There is no butter in this recipe.
- Seasonings: You’ll need garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper to season these crispy and savory breakfast potatoes.
- Green Onions: Optional, but we love garnishing these air fryer home fries with sliced green onion. They add a nice sharpness.
How to make homemade air fryer home fries
These ultra-crispy air fryer home fries take under 20 minutes to make! Any level cook can make them since they are so easy to prepare and make for the perfect savory breakfast side dish. Here are detailed step-by-step instructions with pictures for visual reference so any level cook can make them. The full recipe and ingredient measurements are at the bottom of this page in the recipe card.
First, preheat your air fryer to 400°F and lightly grease the basket with non-stick olive oil spray.
Then toss the potato pieces in a mixing bowl with the olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
Carefully line the bottom of your air fryer with parchment paper so the onions and peppers don’t fall off into the basket or get stuck on the grate in the second part of the recipe.
Add seasoned potatoes to the preheated air fryer and air fry at 400°F for 12 minutes.
Open the air fryer basket. Add the chopped onions and bell pepper. Shake the basket to combine.
Air fry for ANOTHER 4 – 8 minutes. Every air fryer is different, so check at the 4-minute mark, then decide if you want them to be crispier.
Serve hot, garnished with sliced green onions. Enjoy your extra crispy and tender air fryer home fries!
Expert tips for the perfect air fryer home fries
Don’t skip the olive oil. Trust me, olive oil is a must in this recipe! It’s essential if you want super crispy breakfast potatoes. If you skip out on the olive oil, the potatoes will dry out as they air fry.
Add the onions and bell pepper at the 12-minute mark. Let your potatoes air fry alone for 10 – 12 minutes so they have time to cook. Don’t add the onions and peppers with the potatoes in step #4 because they will burn if they are in the air fryer for too long.
Check your home fries are the 10 and 15-minute mark. Every air fryer model is different! It’s important to check every few minutes to ensure the potatoes are not burning. You may also need to add extra time if you want the potatoes to be crispier.
Make this recipe your own and add other ingredients. You can customize this air fryer home fries recipe by adding bacon, ham, cheese, garlic, or different seasonings. Make sure to read the next section to get ideas!
Breakfast home fries flavor variations
- Bacon: While the potatoes are air frying, pan-fry 2 – 4 strips of bacon (pork or turkey bacon) until extra crisp. When the home fries are done air frying, top them with the crispy, cut-up bacon crumbles!
- Ham: Add 1/2 cup of diced ham to the air fryer with the potatoes in step #3.
- Cajun Seasoning: Season the potatoes with 2 teaspoons of cajun seasoning in step #2 instead of garlic powder and paprika.
- Garlic: Mince 1 large clove of garlic and add it to the home fries in step #5.
- Cheesy: Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese in step #5, along with the onions and peppers. Make sure to mix everything around, so the potatoes are coated in the cheese.
What to serve with breakfast potatoes
Air fryer home fires make for a great breakfast and brunch side dish! Here are a few ideas on what to serve them with:
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best potatoes for home fries?
Yukon gold potatoes are best for home fries; however, you can also use russet potatoes. These starchy potatoes get extra crispy as we air fry them.
Can I leave the potato skins on?
Yes, you can leave the potato skins on. I like to peel the potato purely as a preference. You can certainly leave the potato skins on too.
What’s the best substitute for Yukon gold potatoes?
In this recipe, you can substitute Yukon gold potatoes with russets potatoes or sweet potatoes.
Can I use sweet potato?
You can certainly use sweet potatoes for these air fryer home fries. You’ll need 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes.
Are home fries gluten-free?
This home fries recipe is gluten-free.
Is this recipe vegan?
These air fryer home fries are 100% vegan since we don’t use any butter in this recipe.
Can I bake them in the oven?
You can bake home fries in the oven if you don’t have an air fryer. Bake them at 400°F for 20 – 25 minutes until they are golden brown and crispy. Add the onions and peppers halfway through.
Can I cook them on the stovetop?
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can cook home fries on the stovetop. Simply heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Then, add the diced potatoes in a single layer and chopped onions. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes, do not stir. After they get crispy, turn the potatoes over with a spatula and repeat with the uncooked sides. You may need to repeat 1 to 2 more times.
What are the best breakfast side dishes?
I love breakfast and brunch side dishes! Some of my favorites are these air fryer breakfast potatoes, air fryer buttermilk biscuits, these air fryer chicken sausages, healthy zucchini fritters, and crispy air fryer hash browns. If I am craving something sweet, this caramelized air fryer pineapple recipe is amazing too.
What’s the best temperature to air fry home fries?
For best results, air fry home fries at 400°F. If the temperature is too low, the potatoes won’t cook through or get crispy; the centers may be starchy and raw.
How long do I air fry home fries at 400°F?
Home fries take about 14 to 18 minutes to air fry at 400°F. This is much shorter than waiting 25 to 35 minutes to cook them in a skillet or oven-roast them!
How many potatoes are there in one pound?
It depends on the size of your potatoes. There are about two potatoes in one pound if you use medium-sized russet or sweet potatoes. There are about 5 to 6 Yukon gold potatoes in one pound.
Can I freeze home fries?
I don’t recommend freezing air-fried crispy home fries. They will not reheat well and will be mushy.
How to store and reheat leftovers:
Storing: Air fryer home fries are best enjoyed hot after preparing since they will be extra crispy. However, you can store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheating: For best results, reheat in the air fryer at 350°F for 5 – 7 minutes or in the oven or toaster oven at 350°F for 5 – 10 minutes until warm. I don’t recommend reheating in the microwave since the potatoes will not get crispy.
If you love this recipe, try these next!
- Air Fryer Hash Browns
- Air Fryer Fingerling Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash (3 Ways!)
- Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Air Fryer Home Fries
- 1 ½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup white or yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ cup bell pepper (red or green), chopped
- Garnish: ¼ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- Optional Mix-Ins (READ RECIPE NOTES): 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 3 – 4 bacon (turkey or pork), 1/2 cup of diced ham
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F and lightly grease the basket with non-stick olive oil spray.
- Then toss the potato pieces in a mixing bowl with the olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Carefully line the bottom of your air fryer with parchment paper so the onions and peppers don’t fall off into the basket or get stuck on the grate in the second part of the recipe.
- Add seasoned potatoes to the preheated air fryer and air fry at 400°F for 12 minutes.
- Open the air fryer basket. Add the chopped onions and bell pepper. Shake the basket to combine.
- Air fry for ANOTHER 4 – 8 minutes. Every air fryer is different, so check at the 4-minute mark, then decide if you want them to be crispier.
- Serve hot garnished with sliced green onions. Enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!