Everyone will love these cheesy homemade air fryer pizza rolls packed with mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce, and fresh basil. These easy pizza rolls are air-fried in under 15 minutes and make for the best appetizer, lunch, or dinner!
The best homemade air fryer pizza rolls
These are the best pizza rolls I have ever eaten. They are super cheesy, have the perfect amount of sauce, and are packed with flavor. This recipe is better than others because it’s you have the option to use homemade pizza dough or store-bought pizza dough.
But my favorite part about them is that they are cooked in the air fryer. The dough is slightly crunchy outside but soft and fluffy inside. Plus, the crispy cheese on the top is so tasty.
I love these pizza rolls, margarita style, but if you want to shake things up, you can add cut-up pepperoni, ham, pineapple, or even cooked veggies. The sky is the limit with these pizza bites.
You will love air fryer pizza rolls – they taste like a pizza but in mini form! I cannot wait to hear what you think because my family is obsessed!
Why you’ll love this air fryer recipe
- Air fryer pizza rolls are quick and easy to make.
- They are super cheesy and doughy.
- Great appetizer, snack, lunch, and dinner.
- Very customizable, so feel free to add your favorite pizza toppings.
- They are crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
- Try these Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks for another flavorful recipe!
These homemade air fryer pizza rolls call for five simple ingredients. They are cheesy, warm, and so delicious! Here is a list of ingredients, so you have everything prepared:
- Pizza Dough: First up, we need 1 pound of pizza dough, either store-bought or canned. I used the pre-made Trader Joe’s pizza dough found in the refrigerator section to make things easy, but you can homemade pizza dough, too, if you want!
- Marinara Sauce: Grab your favorite marinara sauce for these pizza rolls. Any marinara sauce or pizza sauce will work!
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese: To make these air fryer pizza rolls super cheesy, we use shredded mozzarella cheese – but you can use low-fat or regular.
- Parmesan: I love using grated parmesan cheese since it adds the best, most authentic flavor!
- Fresh Basil: Finally, you’ll need freshly chopped basil. This adds the best flavor.
Kitchen tools required
Clean-up is so easy with this pizza roll recipe. In fact, you only need your air fryer and a knife. Here is a list, so you are prepared and ready to cook:
- Air Fryer
- Parchment Paper
- Sharp Serrated Knife
- Measuring Cups: 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup.
How to make air fryer pizza rolls
These homemade pizza rolls are not only super delicious, but they only take 15 minutes to make in your air fryer! In fact, these pizza rolls come together in three simple steps: first, we roll out the dough and add toppings; second, roll up the dough and cut the rolls; and third, we air fry the pizza rolls for 10 – 15 minutes. Here are detailed step-by-step instructions for any level cook:
First, spray the bottom of air fryer with non-stick spray and place a piece of parchment paper down. Then, pre-heat air fryer to 320°F.
Lightly flour your workspace and roll out pizza dough into an 8″ x 12″ rectangle.
Then, evenly spread ½ cup of pizza sauce on top of the dough. Make sure to leave a 1-inch gap around the edges so you can seal the roll. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese, parmesan, and basil on top.
Staring on the long end of the rectangle, tightly roll the dough like you would with cinnamon rolls. The tighter, the better. Adjust the roll, so the seam-side is face down on your countertop and cut 10 – 12 individual 1-inch rolls. Lightly pinch the bottom of each roll to seal the sauce and cheese inside.
Evenly space out the rolls in your pre-heated air fryer – they should NOT touch. Leave about ½ inch of space between each. Cook in two batches if your air fryer is too small.
Air fry at 320°F for 11 – 15 minutes, until the cheese, is melted and the dough is cooked through. Check at the 11 minute mark and add time as needed.
Remove from the basket and cool down for a few minutes before serving with extra pizza sauce, marinara sauce, or pesto.
Tips for rolling and cutting pizza rolls
Rolling and cutting pizza rolls can sometimes be tricky, so here are my tips.
- Flour your work surface. This prevents to dough from sticking.
- Measure your dough. Use a large cookie sheet to make sure your dough is rolled out into an 8″ by 12″ rectangle.
- Leave a 1-inch border around the dough. When you roll the pizza dough up, it is super important to leave a 1-inch border so you can seal the pizza sauce and cheese inside. If you don’t do this, the pizza sauce will leak out, and the rolls will fall apart. Check out my pictures below!
- Use a serrated knife or floss to cut the rolls. Much like a cinnamon roll, you want to get a clean cut. Use a very sharp knife or use the floss technique.
Once the pizza rolls are done air frying, serve them with your favorite dipping sauce. I love marinara sauce or BBQ sauce, but pesto, ranch dressing, or caesar dressing are also delicious options. You can even serve them alongside a simple strawberry salad, or this watermelon basil salad.
Tips for cooking pizza rolls in the air fryer
Here are my top tips and tricks for making the best homemade pizza rolls in an air fryer.
Pinch the bottom of the pizza roll before putting it into the air fryer. This will help keep the cheese and sauce inside the pizza roll.
Use parchment paper. This not only makes clean-up easier, but it also helps hold in the cheese and sauce.
Check pizza rolls at 11 minutes. Each air fryer is different, which means everything cooks differently. To make sure your pizza rolls are cooked through and not burnt, open your air fryer at the 11-minute mark and adjust the cooking time based on what you see.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you know when the pizza rolls are fully cooked?
To check if the air fryer pizza rolls are done, look at the centers of the tops. If the dough is fully cooked in the center, then the pizza rolls are done. If you are still unsure, you can always carefully remove one of the pizza rolls and cut it in half to check.
What is the best temperature to air fry pizza rolls?
You should air fry homemade pizza rolls at 320 degrees Fahrenheit. A lower temperature gives the pizza dough time to fully cook while not burning the cheese.
Can I use homemade pizza dough?
Yes, you can absolutely use homemade pizza dough in this recipe.
Can I add pepperoni or ham?
Yes! To shake things up, feel free to add 1/4 cup of cut-up pepperoni, ham, or turkey along with the cheese and basil in step 4.
Can I add vegetables or pineapple?
Yes! Add 1/4 cup of small pineapple pieces or cooked veggies along with the cheese and basil in step 4.
Can you cook frozen pizza rolls in the air fryer?
Yes! You can freeze your homemade pizza rolls for up to 3 months before air frying. When you are ready to enjoy, simply preheat your air fryer and follow the same cooking instructions. The air frying time will likely increase by 3 – 6 minutes, depending on the size of your pizza rolls.
How to store and reheat leftovers pizza rolls:
Storing: Air fryer pizza rolls are best enjoyed within 1 hour of air frying. However, you can store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating: For best results reheat in the air fryer at 350°F for 5 – 8 minutes for best results. You can also reheat them in the microwave if needed, but they will not be as crispy.
If you loved this Air fryer recipe, try these next!
- Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Quesadillas
- Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
- Air Fryer Italian Turkey Meatballs
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Best Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- 1 lb. store-bought or canned pizza dough, I used Trader Joe's bagged brand
- 1 cup pizza or marinara sauce, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, low fat or regular
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- Spray the bottom of air fryer with non-stick spray and place a piece of parchment paper down. Then, preheat air fryer to 320°F.
- Lightly flour your workspace and roll out pizza dough into an 8″ x 12″ rectangle.
- Evenly spread ½ cup of pizza sauce on top of the dough. Make sure to leave a 1-inch gap around the edges so you can seal the roll.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese, parmesan, and basil on top.
- Staring on the long end of the rectangle, tightly roll the dough like you would with cinnamon rolls. The tighter the better.
- Adjust the roll so the seam-side is face down on your countertop and cut 10 – 12 individual 1-inch rolls. Lightly pinch the bottom of each roll to seal the sauce and cheese inside.
- Evenly space out the rolls in your pre-heated air fryer – they should NOT touch. Leave about ½ inch of space between each. Cook in two batches if your air fryer is too small.
- Air fry at 320°F for 11 – 15 minutes, until the cheese, is melted and the dough is cooked through. Check at the 11 minute mark and add time as needed.
- Remove from the basket and cool down for a few minutes before serving with extra pizza sauce, marinara sauce, or pesto.
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!