The best quick and easy homemade air fryer pizza rolls are super cheesy, made without oil, and ready in 20 minutes. They’re made with pizza dough, mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce, and fresh basil. The perfect appetizer, lunch, or dinner!
Best homemade air fryer pizza roll recipe
These are the best pizza rolls I have ever eaten. They are super cheesy, have the perfect amount of sauce, and are packed with flavor. This recipe is better than others because it’s you have the option to use homemade pizza dough or store-bought pizza dough. We are also a huge than of these air fryer tortilla pizzas.
But my favorite part about them is that they are cooked in the air fryer without oil. The dough is slightly crunchy outside but soft and fluffy inside. Plus, the crispy cheese on the top is so tasty.
So, what makes these pizza rolls the best? Well, for starters, they are incredibly easy to make. You don’t need to be a culinary expert or spend hours in the kitchen. Just grab some basic ingredients, and you’re good to go.
And the taste? Oh, it’s absolutely fantastic. The combination of melty mozzarella, zesty marinara sauce, and savory parmesan, all wrapped in a crispy air-fried crust, is a flavor explosion you won’t want to miss. Plus, you can customize them with your favorite toppings to suit your cravings – think pepperoni, mushrooms, or bell peppers.
You will love air fryer pizza rolls – they taste like a pizza but in mini form! Plus, it’s a healthier alternative to traditional deep-fried pizza rolls. I cannot wait to hear your thoughts because my family is obsessed!
Why you’ll love this air fryer recipe
- Quick & Easy: Air fryer pizza rolls are quick and easy to make.
- Super Cheesy: They are super cheesy and doughy.
- Versatile: They make for a delicious appetizer, snack, lunch, and dinner.
- Great for parties: These pizza rolls are a fantastic party snack or appetizer. They’re bite-sized and perfect for sharing with a crowd.
- Customizable: Feel free to add your favorite pizza toppings: ham, pepperoni, chicken, mushrooms, pineapple, peppers, onions, etc.
- Crispy without oil: They are crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
- Not deep fried: This recipe is healthier than others because no oil is required.
- Family-friendly: Kids and adults will LOVE these homemade pizza rolls. They’re a family-friendly option for a quick and satisfying meal or snack.
- Try these Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks or these Air Fryer Tortilla Pizzas for another flavorful recipe!
Ingredients and substitutions
These homemade air fryer pizza rolls call for five simple ingredients. They are cheesy, warm, and so delicious! Here is a list of ingredients so you have everything prepared:
- Pizza Dough: First, we need 1 pound of pizza dough, store-bought or canned. I used the pre-made Trader Joe’s pizza dough found in the refrigerator section to make things easy, but you can make homemade pizza dough, too, if you want!
- Marinara Sauce: Grab your favorite marinara sauce for these pizza rolls. Any marinara sauce or pizza sauce will work!
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese: To make these air fryer pizza rolls super cheesy, we use shredded mozzarella cheese – but you can use low-fat or regular.
- Parmesan: I love using grated parmesan cheese since it adds the best, most authentic flavor!
- Fresh Basil: Finally, you’ll need freshly chopped basil. This adds the best flavor.
Kitchen tools needed
Clean-up is so easy with this pizza roll recipe. In fact, you only need your air fryer and a knife. Here is a list so you are prepared and ready to cook:
- Air Fryer
- Parchment Paper
- Sharp Serrated Knife
- Measuring Cups: 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup.
How to make homemade pizza rolls in the air fryer step-by-step
These homemade pizza rolls are not only super delicious, but they only take 15 minutes to make in your air fryer! These pizza rolls come together in three simple steps: first, we roll out the dough and add toppings; second, we roll up the dough and cut the rolls; and third, we air fry the pizza rolls for 10 – 15 minutes. Here are detailed step-by-step instructions for any level cook:
First, spray the bottom of the air fryer with non-stick spray and place a piece of parchment paper down. Then, preheat the air fryer to 320°F.
Lightly flour your workspace and roll out pizza dough into an 8″ x 12″ rectangle.
Then, evenly spread ½ cup of pizza sauce on the dough. Make sure to leave a 1-inch gap around the edges to seal the roll. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese, parmesan, and basil on top.
Staring at the long end of the rectangle, tightly roll the dough like you would with cinnamon rolls. The tighter, the better. Adjust the roll so the seam-side is face down on your countertop, and cut 10 – 12 individual 1-inch rolls. Lightly pinch the bottom of each roll to seal the sauce and cheese inside.
Evenly space out the rolls in your preheated air fryer – they should NOT touch. Leave about ½ inch of space between each. Cook in two batches if your air fryer is too small.
Air fry at 320°F for 11 – 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the dough is cooked through. Check at the 11-minute mark and add time as needed.
Remove from the basket and cool down for a few minutes before serving with extra pizza sauce, marinara sauce, or pesto.
Expert tips and recipe variations for air fryer pizza rolls
- Flour your work surface. This prevents the dough from sticking.
- Leave a 1-inch border around the dough. When you roll the pizza dough up, leaving a 1-inch border to seal the pizza sauce and cheese inside is super important. If you don’t do this, the pizza sauce will leak out, and the rolls will fall apart. Check out my pictures above!
- Use a serrated knife or floss to cut the rolls. Much like a cinnamon roll, you want to get a clean cut. Use a very sharp knife or use the floss technique.
- Pinch the bottom of the pizza rolls. This will help keep the cheese and sauce inside the pizza roll.
- Use parchment paper. This not only makes clean-up easier, but it also helps hold in the cheese and sauce.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket: Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking, so cook in batches if needed.
- Check pizza rolls at 11 minutes. Each air fryer is different, which means everything cooks differently. To ensure your pizza rolls are cooked through and not burnt, open your air fryer at the 11-minute mark and adjust the cooking time based on what you see.
- Customize them and add toppings: You can customize the fillings to suit your taste. Add your favorite toppings, such as pepperoni, bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms. We love adding 1/4 cup of small pineapple pieces or cooked veggies along with the cheese and basil in step 4.
What to serve with pizza rolls
Pizza rolls go well with so many dishes! Here are the best ones:
- Dips: Pizza rolls are meant to be dipped in delicious sauces. Try dips like marinara sauce, Caesar, ranch dressing, pesto, or a creamy garlic dip.
- Salad: A fresh salad is a great choice to balance the richness of pizza rolls. Try a simple garden salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and a vinaigrette dressing, this chicken Caesar pasta salad, this kale crunch salad, or this refreshing watermelon basil salad.
- Vegetable Sticks: Pizza rolls are perfect for game day. Try serving them with some crisp and colorful vegetable sticks like carrot, celery, and bell pepper with a dip, such as ranch dressing or hummus.
- Garlic Bread: Garlic bread or cheesy garlic breadsticks are always a great choice – we love this homemade garlic bread.
- Soup: A bowl of tomato soup, minestrone, or this lighter potato soup can turn your meal into a cozy and comforting dinner.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen pre-made pizza rolls?
Yes! If you don’t want to make homemade pizza rolls, you can use frozen pre-made pizza rolls like the brand Annie’s.
How do you know when the pizza rolls are fully cooked?
To check if the air fryer pizza rolls are done, look at the centers of the tops. The pizza rolls are done if the dough is fully cooked in the center. If you are unsure, you can always carefully remove one of the pizza rolls and cut it in half to check.
Can I use homemade pizza dough?
Yes, you can absolutely use homemade pizza dough in this recipe.
Are they dairy-free?
You can make these air fryer pizza rolls dairy-free and vegan using plant-based shredded cheese.
How long do pizza rolls go in the air fryer?
Pizza rolls typically take 11-15 minutes to cook at 320°F (160°C) in an air fryer. They are done when the outside dough is slightly crispy and the cheese is melted.
What is the best temperature to air fry pizza rolls?
You should air fry homemade pizza rolls at 320 degrees Fahrenheit. A lower temperature gives the pizza dough time to cook without burning the cheese.
Can you cook frozen pizza rolls in the air fryer?
Yes! You can freeze your homemade pizza rolls for up to 3 months before air frying. When ready to enjoy, preheat your air fryer and follow the exact cooking instructions. The air frying time will likely increase by 3 – 6 minutes, depending on the size of your pizza rolls.
How to store and reheat pizza rolls:
Storing: Air fryer pizza rolls are best enjoyed within 1 hour of air frying. However, you can store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating: For best results, reheat in the air fryer at 350°F for 5 – 8 minutes. You can also reheat them in the microwave if needed, but they will not be as crispy.
If you loved this air fryer recipe, try these next!
- Air Fryer Bagel Bites
- Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza
- Air Fryer Quesadillas
- Crispiest Air Fryer Gnocchi
- Air Fried Parmesan Zucchini
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Best Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- 1 lb. store-bought or canned pizza dough, I used Trader Joe's bagged brand
- 1 cup pizza or marinara sauce, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, low fat or regular
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- Spray the bottom of air fryer with non-stick spray and place a piece of parchment paper down. Then, preheat air fryer to 320°F.
- Lightly flour your workspace and roll out pizza dough into an 8″ x 12″ rectangle.
- Evenly spread ½ cup of pizza sauce on top of the dough. Make sure to leave a 1-inch gap around the edges so you can seal the roll.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese, parmesan, and basil on top.
- Staring on the long end of the rectangle, tightly roll the dough like you would with cinnamon rolls. The tighter the better.
- Adjust the roll so the seam-side is face down on your countertop and cut 10 – 12 individual 1-inch rolls. Lightly pinch the bottom of each roll to seal the sauce and cheese inside.
- Evenly space out the rolls in your pre-heated air fryer – they should NOT touch. Leave about ½ inch of space between each. Cook in two batches if your air fryer is too small.
- Air fry at 320°F for 11 – 15 minutes, until the cheese, is melted and the dough is cooked through. Check at the 11 minute mark and add time as needed.
- Carefully remove from the basket and cool down for a few minutes before serving with extra pizza sauce, marinara sauce, or pesto.
I only recommend products I love and use myself. In full disclosure, I may receive a small compensation for purchasing a product I recommend. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!