The best cheesy healthy buffalo chicken dip made with Greek yogurt, low-fat cream cheese, nutritional yeast, and, of course, cheese! This lighter version of a classic appetizer is keto, gluten-free, ready in 25 minutes, and perfect for Gameday.
The best healthy buffalo chicken dip made with greek yogurt
Football season is in full swing, and this healthy buffalo chicken dip makes for the best Gameday appetizer. I love this buffalo chicken flatbread, but when I am in the mood for a dip, this is the best. I’ve been told it tastes better than the real thing! I mean, if that doesn’t convince you to try it, I don’t know what will.
This healthy buffalo chicken dip is cheesy, rich, and perfectly spiced. It’s made with Greek yogurt, low-fat cream cheese, and nutritional yeast, so you get that classic cheesy flavor. Don’t worry; no one will be able to tell it is made with healthier ingredients! There is no compromise on taste.
I might be biased here, but this is certainly the best buffalo chicken dip I have ever eaten. Make it ahead of time, bring it to a friend’s house, grab some veggie sticks and chips and sit back and enjoy your cheesy buff chicken dip.
Reasons why this buffalo chicken dip is healthy:
The word “healthy” is relative to each person, but I consider this buffalo chicken dip to be healthy for many reasons. Everyone will love it, and no one will be able to tell it is lightened up!
- Low fat & high protein. The base of this dip is Greek yogurt, which makes it lower in fat, higher in protein, and lower in calories.
- Reduced-fat cream cheese. We only use 1/3 cup of low-fat cream cheese, while classic recipes use 1 cup of full-fat cream cheese.
- Less cheese. We use a mixture of nutritional yeast and shredded cheese to get that super cheesy taste with half the amount of cheese traditional recipes call for.
- No mayonnaise. There is no mayo in this healthy buffalo chicken dip!
- Fits into your diet. This chicken dip is gluten-free, keto, and low-fat.
Buffalo chicken dip is usually made with lots of heavy ingredients, but don’t worry, my version is the best lightened-up recipe that doesn’t compromise on taste. We only use a handful of healthy ingredients that will leave you feeling good. It’s low in fat, low carb, gluten-free, and keto. Here is the list of ingredients:
- Chicken: First up, you’ll need shredded chicken. You can make your own by shredding an oven-roasted chicken breast or using rotisserie chicken. The easiest way is to use rotisserie chicken.
- Butter or Olive Oil: You need 1 tablespoon to saute the onions.
- Yellow Onion: This adds the perfect sweet but sharp note to this dip.
- Garlic: For the best taste, use freshly minced garlic cloves.
- Buffalo Sauce: The star of the show! You need 1/2 cup of your favorite buffalo sauce or Frank’s Red Hot Sauce.
- Greek Yogurt: This lightened-up version of buffalo chicken dip uses plain Greek yogurt as the base. There is NO mayo in this recipe!
- Low-Fat Cream Cheese: For the most authentic taste and texture! I used reduced reduced-fat (also called Neufchatel) cream cheese.
- Lemon: A dash of lemon juice makes everything taste better!
- Dijon Mustard: This adds the best tang; trust me, you can’t taste it, so even if you don’t like mustard, I highly recommend adding it.
- Nutritional Yeast: This is my secret ingredient to making this healthy buffalo chicken dip super cheesy.
- Spices: You’ll need dried dill, onion powder, and paprika.
- Shredded Cheese: Grab sharp cheddar or mozzarella cheese.
Kitchen tools need
This keto buffalo chicken dip requires a few kitchen tools to make. Here is an itemized list so you can grab everything before we get cooking. Plus, clean-up is super easy.
- Mixing Bowl
- 8″ x 8″ Baking Dish or 9″ x 9″ Pie Dish
- Cutting Board + Knife
- Large Saute Pan
- Measuring Tools: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make healthy buffalo chicken dip
This healthy buffalo chicken dip comes together in five simple steps. First, we will saute the onions; then we will mix in the Greek yogurt, low-fat cream cheese, and chicken; finally, we will sprinkle cheese on top and bake. Here are easy step-by-step instructions with pictures for visual reference:
First, preheat the oven to 400°F and grease an 8×8″ baking dish. You can use any round or square dish similar in size; however, if larger than 8×8″, reduce cooking time by 3 – 5 minutes.
Then, heat butter or olive oil in a large saute pan to medium heat and add onions. Saute for 3 – 5 minutes until translucent. Add in minced garlic, stir, and statue for 30 seconds until fragrant.
Meanwhile, mix the buffalo sauce, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, lemon juice, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, dill, onion powder, and paprika together in a mixing bowl
Once the onions and garlic are done, reduce heat to medium-low and pour the buffalo yogurt sauce on top. Continually whisk until the cream cheese is dissolved and the sauce is warm and slightly bubbly.
Then, remove from heat and stir in 2/3 cup of sharp cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Carefully transfer to the greased baking pan and top with another 1/3 cup of cheddar cheese.
Finally, bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling. If you want a golden brown top, set the oven to broil for 1 – 3 extra minutes, then remove the dip immediately.
Let it cool for 5 minutes before garnishing with the sliced green onion, feta, or drizzle of extra ranch dressing. Serve warm with your favorite veggie sticks and tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Expert recipe tips:
Don’t skip out on the cream cheese. You can use reduced fat or regular! The cream cheese gives this healthy buffalo chicken dip recipe that classic texture without mayo!
Add extra cheese on top. If you like your dip to be extra cheese, feel free to add extra cheese on top of the dip before you bake it.
Use rotisserie chicken or homemade shredded chicken. I love to shred up rotisserie chicken since that saves the most time. You can also bake 1 or 2 chicken breasts in the oven, shred them up with two forks and use that instead. Just remember to measure!
Make it ahead of time. You can make this buffalo chicken dip ahead of time to serve at a party. Make the dip up to step 5, then wrap it in aluminum foil and store it in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you are ready to serve it, follow the rest of the instructions and heat the dip in the oven.
One of the best things about buffalo chicken dip is that you can enjoy it in so many ways! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Veggie sticks (celery, carrots, or cucumbers)
- Broccoli florets
- Tortilla chips
- Pita chips
- Pita bread
- Garlic bread
- Just spoon it!
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best type of chicken to use?
For simplicity and ease, I always use rotisserie chicken. However, you can bake chicken breast ahead of time, shred them, and use those too.
Is this buffalo chicken dip low carb and keto?
Yes, this buffalo chicken dip is low carb, and in fact, there are less than 3 grams of carbs per serving.
Can I use low-fat greek yogurt?
You can use low-fat or full-fat Greek yogurt in this recipe; both work well, and it is up to you which one you use. I recommend using 2% or 5% plain Greek yogurt for the creamiest healthy buffalo chicken dip.
What can I use instead of mozzarella or cheddar cheese?
If you aren’t a fan of cheddar cheese or mozzarella, substitute it with your favorite shredded cheese. Any kind works!
Can I make it ahead of time?
Absolutely! This recipe is perfect if you are planning a Game day or want to bring it to a friend’s house. Prepare the dip per the instructions, let it cool, wrap it in aluminum foil, and when you are ready to enjoy, pop it back into the oven at 350°F for 8 – 13 minutes until warm.
How to store, freeze, and reheat leftovers:
Storing: For best results, cover the original baking dish well with aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezing: I haven’t tried freezing this healthy buffalo chicken dip, and I wouldn’t recommend it. It will freeze well, and the texture will change.
Reheating: I recommend reheating leftover dip in the oven for the best taste. Place the original baking dish in the oven and bake at 350°F for 5 – 10 minutes until warm. If you are in a rush, you can reheat it in the microwave by coving a microwave-safe bowl with a damp paper towel and reheating for 30 – 90 seconds until warm.
If you loved this recipe, try these next!
- Buffalo Chicken Flatbread
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- BBQ Chicken Sweet Potato Sliders
- Broccoli Cheddar Turkey Meatball Poppers
- Air Fryer Quesadillas
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, I used rotisserie
- 1 – 2 tbsp unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finley chopped
- 2 – 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup buffalo sauce or Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat or Neufchatel cream cheese
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 – 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¾ tsp dried dill
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese, (reserve ⅓ cup for sprinkling on top)
- Garnishes: 1 large green onion thinly sliced and/or sprinkle of feta or blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease an 8×8” baking dish. You can use any round or square dish similar in size; however, if larger than 8×8”, reduce cooking time by 3 – 5 minutes.
- Heat butter or olive oil in a large saute pan to medium heat. Add onions and saute for 3 – 5 minutes until translucent. Add in minced garlic, stir, and statue for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Meanwhile, mix the buffalo sauce, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, lemon juice, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, dill, onion powder, and paprika together in a mixing bowl.
- Once the onions and garlic are done, reduce heat to medium-low and pour the buffalo-yogurt sauce on top. Continually whisk until the cream cheese is dissolved and the sauce is warm and slightly bubbly. Then remove from heat and stir in cooked shredded chicken and 2/3 cup of sharp cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Carefully transfer to the grease baking pan and top with another 1/3 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling. If you want a golden brown top, set the oven to broil for 1 – 3 extra minutes, then remove the dip immediately.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before garnishing with the sliced green onion, feta, or drizzle of extra ranch dressing. Serve warm with your favorite veggie sticks and tortilla chips. Enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!