Say hello to the best healthy buffalo chicken dip made with Greek yogurt, low fat cream cheese, nutritional yeast, and, of course, cheese! This lighter version of a classic appetizer comes together in under 25 minutes, is perfect for Game day, and is keto and gluten-free!
The best greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip
Football season is in full swing and this healthy buffalo chicken dip makes for the best Game day appetizer. I love this buffalo chicken flatbread, but when I am in the mood for a dip, this is the best. I’ve been told it tastes better than the real thing! I mean, if that doesn’t convince you to try it, I don’t know what will.
This dip is cheesy, rich, and perfectly spiced. Its made with Greek yogurt, low-fat cream cheese, and nutritional yeast. But don’t worry, no one will be able to tell it is made with healthier ingredients! There is no compromise on taste.
I might be biased here, but this is certainly the best buffalo chicken dip I have ever eaten. Make it ahead of time, bring it to a friend’s house, grab some veggie sticks and chips and sit back and enjoy your cheesy buff chicken dip.
Why is it healthy?
The word “healthy” is relative to each person, but I consider this buffalo chicken dip to be healthy for many reasons. Everyone will love it, and no one will be able to tell it is lightened up!
- Low fat & high protein. The base of this dip is Greek yogurt, which makes it lower in fat, higher in protein, and lower in calories.
- Reduced cream cheese. We only use 1/3 cup of low-fat cream cheese, while classic recipes use 1 cup of full fat cream cheese.
- Less cheese. We use a mixture of nutritional yeast and shredded cheese to get that super cheesy taste with half the amount of cheese traditional recipes call for.
- Fits in your diet. This chicken dip is gluten free, keto, and low fat.
Buffalo chicken dip is usually made with lots of heavy ingredients, but don’t worry, my version is the best lighter version that doesn’t compromise on taste. We only use a handful of healthy ingredients that will leave you feeling good. It’s low in fat, low carb, gluten-free, and keto. Here is the list of ingredients:
- Chicken: First up, 2 cups of cooked shredded chicken. You can make your own by shredding an oven-roasted chicken breast or use rotisserie chicken like me!
- Butter or Olive Oil: We only need 1 Tablespoon worth to saute the onions.
- Yellow Onion: This adds the perfect sweet but sharp note to this dip. You need one small yellow onion.
- Garlic: For the best taste, add in 2 to 3 minced garlic cloves.
- Buffalo Sauce: The star of the show! You need 1/2 cup of buffalo sauce or Frank’s Red Hot Sauce.
- Greek Yogurt: This lightened up buffalo chicken dip uses plain Greek yogurt as the base, not mayo or lots of cream cheese.
- Low-Fat Cream Cheese: For the most authentic taste and texture, add in 1/3 cup of reduced reduced-fat or Neufchatel cream cheese.
- Lemon: A dash of lemon juice makes everything taste better!
- Dijon Mustard: This adds the best tang; trust me, you can’t taste it, so even if you don’t like mustard, I highly recommend adding it.
- Nutritional Yeast: This is my secret ingredient to making this healthy buffalo chicken dip super cheesy.
- Spices: You’ll need dried dill, onion powder, and paprika.
- Shredded Cheese: Grab sharp cheddar or mozzarella cheese.
Kitchen tools need
This keto buffalo chicken dip requires a few kitchen tools to make. Here is an itemized list so you can grab everything before we get cooking. Plus, clean up is super easy.
- Mixing Bowl
- 8″ x 8″ Baking Dish or 9″ x 9″ Pie Dish
- Cutting Board + Knife
- Large Saute Pan
- Measuring Tools: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make healthy buffalo chicken dip
This healthy buffalo chicken dip comes together in a few simple steps. First, we will saute the onions; then we will mix in the Greek yogurt, low fat cream cheese, and chicken; finally, we will sprinkle cheese on top and bake. Here are easy step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: First, preheat oven to 400°F and grease an 8×8″ baking dish. You can use any round or square dish similar in size; however, if larger than 8×8″, reduce cooking time by 3 – 5 minutes.
Step 2: Then, heat butter or olive oil in a large saute pan to medium heat and add onions. Saute for 3 – 5 minutes until translucent. Add in minced garlic, stir, and statue for 30 seconds until fragrant.
Step 3: Meanwhile, mix the buffalo sauce, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, lemon juice, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, dill, onion powder, and paprika together in a mixing bowl
Step 4: Once the onions and garlic are done, reduce heat to medium-low and pour the buffalo-yogurt sauce on top. Continually whisk until the cream cheese is dissolved and the sauce is warm and slightly bubbly.
Step 5: Then, remove from heat and stir in 2/3 cup of sharp cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Carefully transfer to the grease baking pan and top with another 1/3 cup of cheddar cheese.
Step 6: Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling. If you want a golden brown top, set the oven to broil for 1 – 3 extra minutes, then remove the dip immediately.
Let cool for 5 minutes before garnishing with the sliced green onion, feta, or drizzle of extra ranch dressing. Serve warm with your favorite veggie sticks and tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
What to serve with buffalo chicken dip?
The sky is the limit! Serve your healthy buffalo chicken dip with vegetable sticks like celery, carrots, cucumbers, and even broccoli. You can also serve it with chips, pita bread, or toasted breadsticks.
Is it low carb?
Yes, this buffalo chicken dip is low carb, and in fact, there are less than 3 grams of carbs per serving.
Can I use low fat greek yogurt?
Yes, you can use low-fat or full-fat Greek yogurt in this recipe; both work well and it is up to you which one you use. For the creamiest healthy buffalo chicken dip, I recommend using 2% or 5% plain Greek yogurt.
Is this buffalo chicken dip keto?
Yes, this buffalo chicken dip is keto since it is low in net carbs.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Absolutely! This recipe is perfect if you are planning for a Game day or want to bring it to a friend’s house. Simply, prepare the dip per the instructions, let it cool, wrap it in aluminum foil, and when you are ready to enjoy, pop it back into the oven at 350°F for 8 – 13 minutes until warm.
Try these healthier appetizers next!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, I used rotisserie
- 1 Tbsp of unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 - 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce or Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 + 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup of reduced-fat or Neufchatel cream cheese
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup extra shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Garnishes: 1 large green onion, thinly sliced and/or sprinkle of feta or blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease an 8x8” baking dish. You can use any round or square dish similar in size; however, if larger than 8x8”, reduce cooking time by 3 - 5 minutes.
- Heat butter or olive oil in a large saute pan to medium heat.
- Add onions and saute for 3 - 5 minutes until translucent. Add in minced garlic, stir, and statue for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Meanwhile, mix the buffalo sauce, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, lemon juice, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, dill, onion powder, and paprika together in a mixing bowl.
- Once the onions and garlic are done, reduce heat to medium-low and pour the buffalo-yogurt sauce on top. Continually whisk until the cream cheese is dissolved and the sauce is warm and slightly bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in cooked shredded chicken and 2/3 cup of sharp cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Carefully transfer to the grease baking pan and top with another 1/3 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling. If you want a golden brown top, set the oven to broil for 1 - 3 extra minutes, then remove the dip immediately.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before garnishing with the sliced green onion, feta, or drizzle of extra ranch dressing. Serve warm with your favorite veggie sticks and tortilla chips. Enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!