This spicy buffalo chicken flatbread pizza recipe is topped with mozzarella cheese and healthy homemade yogurt ranch dressing. Ready in under 15 minutes, these pita flatbreads are perfect for lunch, dinner, or as a game day appetizer!
Homemade buffalo chicken flatbread pizzas
It is football season, which means all the buffalo chicken recipes! I love my air fryer buffalo chicken, but when I am in the mood for something a little more filling, I make these flatbreads.
This spicy buffalo chicken flatbread recipe is so tasty that it is hard to believe they are healthy. The combination of the homemade ranch dressing, the mozzarella cheese, and the buffalo chicken is out-of-this-world delicious. This recipe is brother and dad approved!
I do have to say, one of my favorite things about this recipe is how easy the flatbreads are to make. Any level cook can make them since we use simple ingredients (including store-bought pita).
Seriously, everyone will just love this recipe and beg you to make it every Sunday! It’s packed with protein from the chicken, has the best flavor for the buffalo sauce, and the flatbread is crispy.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Ready in under 15 minutes
- Homemade yogurt ranch dressing that is healthy and nutritious
- Healthy lunch and dinner
- Can be made gluten-free
- Perfect game day appetizer or side
Ingredients in buffalo chicken flatbread
This recipe calls for a handful of simple and healthy ingredients. You’ll need shredded rotisserie chicken, four pieces of naan or pita, and your favorite buffalo sauce. Here is a list of exactly what you’ll need:
buffalo chicken flatbreads:
- Pita bread: You can use whole wheat, regular, or gluten-free pitas. Naan bread also works!
- Buffalo sauce: Grab your favorite buffalo sauce. You can use mild, medium, or extra hot.
- Mozzarella cheese: To make these flatbreads nice and cheesy, we use 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Shredded chicken: You are going to need 1.5 to 2 cups of shredded chicken. I used rotisserie, which is the easiest, but you can also make your own!
- Green onions: To garnish and give your pizzas extra flavor, grab 2 green onions (which are also called scallions).
- Celery: We top these cheesy and spicy buffalo chicken flatbreads with sliced celery rib.
healthy ranch dressing:
- Greek yogurt: For the base of this healthy ranch dressing, you need 1/2 cup of non-fat or full-fat plain Greek yogurt.
- Dijon mustard: For flavor and tang, grab some dijon mustard.
- Lemon juice: A little bit of lemon juice goes a long way flavor-wise.
- Garlic powder: 1 teaspoon of garlic powder adds the best flavor to this homemade ranch.
- Onion powder: Plus some onion powder.
- Dried dill: Don’t forget the dried dill; this is what makes this healthy ranch taste like the real thing.
- Salt & pepper: Season based on your preferences.
- Water: You’ll need a little bit of water to make this ranch into a dressing consistency.
Kitchen tools needed
Buffalo chicken flatbread pizzas are so easy to make. They come together in under 15 minutes with these few kitchen tools:
- Two baking sheets
- Mixing bowl
- Stirring utensil
- Measuring Tools: 1/4 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon and 1/2 cup.
How to make buffalo chicken flatbread
Everyone is going to love these easy-to-make spicy buffalo chicken flatbreads. They are healthy, flavorful, and cheesy! Here are detailed step-by-step instructions with pictures for visual reference so any level cook can make them. The full recipe and ingredient measurements are at the bottom of this page in the recipe card.
Preheat your oven to 400°F and line one or two large baking sheets with parchment paper. The pitas should NOT overlap, so I recommend two sheets.
Next, in a small mixing bowl, prepare your ranch dressing by combining all the ingredients together. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
Then, place two pieces of pita on each lined baking sheet and bake for 3 – 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss the shredded chicken with 2 – 3 Tablespoons of buffalo sauce. The chicken should be coated but not drenched.
Once the pitas are done, carefully remove the sheets from the oven. Use the back of a spoon to spread 1 – 2 Tablespoons of ranch dressing and 1 – 2 Tablespoons of buffalo sauce on each pita, as if you were making a pizza.
Then, sprinkle 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup of shredded chicken on top of each pita. You can add more cheese if you desire. Sprinkle the thinly sliced white parts of the green onion on top.
Bake for another 7 – 10 minutes, until the sides are golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Finally, remove from the oven and garnish with extra drizzles of ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, a sprinkle of green onion, and sliced celery.
Enjoy this delicious and spicy buffalo chicken flatbread recipe topped with healthy homemade ranch dressing!
What makes them healthy?
I love making healthier recipes that taste like the real thing! And these homemade buffalo chicken flatbread pizzas are spicy, cheesy, and good for you. First, they are super high in protein and are made with whole grains. Second, they can be made gluten-free if you use gluten free pita or naan. Third, the ranch dressing is made from greek yogurt, which is low in fat and high in protein. So, yes, these buffalo chicken flatbreads are healthy and will leave you feeling full and nourished.
I love these flatbreads as is, but if you want to customize them to your preferences, be my guest! Here is a list of my recommended ingredient substitutions to help you out.
- Buffalo Sauce: You can substitute the buffalo sauce with Frank’s Red Hot sauce.
- Shredded Chicken: Use grilled chicken strips cut up into bite-sized pieces.
- Pitas: Try naan, store-bought flatbread bases, or frozen bases.
- Mozerella Cheese: If you don’t have shredded mozzarella, you can use shredded cheddar, Colby, Swiss, or Monterey Jack.
- Garlic Powder: Use 2 cloves of minced garlic.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between naan and pita?
The main difference between naan and pita is that naan is usually thicker, softer, and more like a pillow, while pita has a much lighter texture and is generally thinner. Ingredient-wise, naan is made with flour, eggs, butter, and yogurt, and pita is made from flour, yeasts, salt, and water. For these buffalo chicken flatbread pizzas, you can use either; but, I like using pita bread.
Can I use whole wheat or gluten-free pita bread?
Yes! Use any type of pita bread you want. You can even you an Italian seasoned one if you want a little more flavor.
Can I use cooked chicken breast?
Yes, you can thinly slice or shred 1 large grilled or oven roasted chicken breast.
What is the difference between flatbread pizza and regular pizza?
The difference between flatbread pizza and regular pizza comes down to the pizza dough. Traditional pizza uses yeasted dough that has to proof and rise. On the other hand, flatbread pizza either uses pita bread as the base or a no-yeast dough.
What is the best substitute for shredded mozzarella?
I love mozzarella, but you can also use your favorite shredded cheese. I recommend cheddar, swiss, Mexican blend, or Italian 4 Cheese for these buffalo chicken flatbreads.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Storing: Place leftovers into individual airtight containers and store them in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days.
Reheating: For best results, reheat leftover buffalo chicken flatbread in the oven at 350°F for 5 – 10 minutes until warm. If you are in a rush, you can reheat in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds until warm, but the pita will not be as crisp.
If you loved this recipe, check these out next!
- Air Fried Buffalo Chicken
- Air Fryer Bagel Bites
- Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza
- Stuffed Chicken Parmesan Burgers
- Hot Honey Chicken Tenders
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Buffalo Chicken Flatbread Recipe
- 4 pieces pita bread, naan also works
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 green onions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt, non-fat or full fat
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 – 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried dill
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ salt
- 2 – 3 tbsp of water
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line one or two large baking sheets with parchment paper. The pitas should NOT overlap, so I recommend two sheets.
- In a small mixing bowl, prepare your ranch dressing by combining all the ingredients together. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Place two pieces of pita on each lined baking sheet and bake for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the shredded chicken with 2 – 3 Tablespoons of buffalo sauce. The chicken should be coated but not drenched.
- Once the pitas are done, carefully remove the sheets from the oven. Use the back of a spoon to spread 1 – 2 Tablespoons of ranch dressing and 1 – 2 Tablespoons of buffalo sauce on each pita, as if you were making a pizza.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup of shredded chicken on top of each pita. You can add more cheese if you desire. Sprinkle the thinly sliced white parts of the green onion on top.
- Bake for another 7 – 10 minutes, until the sides are golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with extra drizzles of ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, a sprinkle of green onion, and sliced celery.
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!