Air Fried Buffalo Chicken
Healthy air fried buffalo chicken breasts that are moist, perfectly crispy, and super easy to make in an air fryer. You can use store bought sauce or make your own homemade buffalo sauce with three simple ingredients. Such a delicious 20 minute meal that everyone will love!
The best air fried chicken breast
Chicken is a staple meal in my house. Honestly, there are so many chicken recipes out there that it can become overwhelming. But, out of all the chicken dishes I have tried, this air fryer buffalo one has got to be the top three!
Air fryer buffalo chicken breasts are moist and juicy with a crispy outside. Each bite bursts with flavor and pairs perfectly with so many side dishes.
This recipe is also so easy to prepare it makes for a quick lunch or dinner. I love to meal prep this recipe so I can enjoy it throughout a busy week!
If you are bored of plain old chicken breasts, you have to try this FUN & FLAVORFUL air fried buffalo chicken recipe.
Is buffalo chicken healthy?
Yes! Buffalo chicken is absolutely healthy. It is packed with lean protein and calls for simple good-for-you ingredients. Plus, it is also gluten free, paleo, low carb, and dairy free making it the perfect meal for everyone.
Ingredients in air fryer buffalo chicken
This delicious air fryer dinner recipe only uses a few simple ingredients. You can use store bought buffalo sauce or make your own with hot sauce, butter (or ghee if you are dairy free), and paprika. Here is a list of ingredients you’ll need for air fryer buffalo chicken:
- Chicken: Grab 3 medium skinless and boneless chicken breasts that are about 6 – 8 ounces each. You can easily double this recipe if you are serving your whole family!
- Buffalo Sauce: Next, you’ll need 1/3 cup of buffalo sauce, plus a little more for serving. If you are using store-bought buffalo sauce, I recommend New Primal medium heat.
- Salt & Pepper: Season your chicken with 1/2 a teaspoon of salt and 1/2 a teaspoon of black pepper.
- Avocado or olive oil cooking spray: You will just need a little, so your chicken does not stick to the bottom of the air fryer.
Homemade buffalo sauce:
If you do not have buffalo sauce, don’t worry… you can make your own with three ingredients! Here is what you’ll need for homemade buffalo sauce:
- Hot Sauce: I use Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. But your favorite brand should work!
- Butter or Ghee: You will need 1 Tablespoon of melted butter or ghee (if you are dairy free).
- Paprika: 1/2 a teaspoon of paprika adds a lot of flavor and makes this the best buffalo sauce.
Kitchen tools needed
I am all about simple recipes. Here are the three tools you need to make the best air fried buffalo chicken breasts:
How to make air fried buffalo chicken breast
Air fryer buffalo chicken is straightforward to make. You will be in and out of the kitchen in less than 25 minutes. Grab your air fryer, and let’s get cooking!
First, preheat your air fryer to 380°F and lightly grease the basket with cooking or avocado spray.
If you are making homemade buffalo sauce, then combine all the ingredients together in a small bowl and set to the side.
Meanwhile, pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and then place them into a shallow bowl. Pour the buffalo sauce on top of the chicken breasts and use kitchen tongs to ensure they are completely coated. Then, season the chicken with salt and pepper and let them marinate for 5 to 10 minutes.
Once the air fryer is heated, and the chicken has had time to marinate, evenly space out the chicken breast into the basket breast side down (the smooth side facing down).
Air fry for 10 minutes, then flip them over with kitchen tongs and let air fry for another 4 – 6 minutes. I used medium 7-ounce chicken breasts and cooked for a total of 15 minutes. They will be done once the internal temp reaches 165°F and the outside is crisp. Make sure to not overcook the chicken; it will be dry.
Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before cutting into it; then, drizzle with extra buffalo sauce and enjoying with a side of your favorite grain and roasted vegetable.
- Pat chicken dry. This will help the chicken get maximum buffalo flavor and have a crispy outside once air fried.
- Place chicken smooth side down in air fryer. This makes sure the chicken is extra moist and juicy.
- Do not overcrowd air fryer. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to do two batches. The chicken should NOT overlap in the air fryer; it will result in less crispy chicken. If you are making double for meal prep just repeat the recipe twice through.
- Let chicken rest for 5 minutes before cutting. This step maximizes the juiciness of the chicken. Letting the chicken rest after beeing cooked ensures a moist chicken breast.
Fequently Asked Questions
Can I make air fryer buffalo chicken tenders?
Yes! You can absolutely make this recipe into chicken tenders. All you need to do is cut the chicken into strips length-wise, coat in buffalo sauce, and air fry for 10 – 12 minutes total.
What to serve with buffalo chicken:
Buffalo chicken goes well with so many things! I love enjoying mine with roasted broccoli and brown rice. If you are looking for something fresher, try this corn & arugula salad or even this balsamic grilled peach salad. I love adding mine to salads as the protein!
Is this recipe low carb and keto?
Yes, this recipe is keto since there is no breading. Such a great low carb recipe!
Can I freeze buffalo chicken breast?
Yes! You can freeze cooked buffalo chicken in any freezer safe bag or container for up to 2 months. Once you are ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature for a few hours. To reheat, place back in the air fryer for 5 – 8 minutes until warm or microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel for 20 – 30 seconds.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Buffalo chicken breasts make the perfect for meal prep because it is so easy to store and reheat leftovers!
To Store: Let the cooked buffalo chicken breast come to room temperature, then place in an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To Reheat: When you are ready to enjoy, reheat the chicken in the air fryer for 5 – 8 minutes until warm or microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel for 20 – 30 seconds.
Check these other air fryer recipes out!
Need some more healthier air fryer recipes? Here are some of my favorite air fried Healthful Blondie recipes to try out….
- Blackened Salmon with Mango Salsa
- Greek Chicken Meatballs with Homemade Tzatziki
- Air Fried Sweet Potato Steak Fries
- Super Crispy Tofu (Air Fried or Oven Baked)
- Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Turkey Meatball Poppers
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!Print
Healthy air-fried buffalo chicken breasts that are moist, perfectly crispy, and super easy to make in an air fryer. Such a delicious 20-minute meal that everyone will love! Gluten-Free, paleo, dairy-free, and low carb.
- 3 chicken breasts (6 – 8 ounces each), skinless and boneless
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce* (I used New Primal), plus more for serving
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Avocado or olive oil cooking spray
Make your own buffalo sauce:
- 1/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 1 Tbsp melted butter or ghee
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Preheat air fryer to 380°F and lightly grease basket with cooking or avocado spray.
- Meanwhile, pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and then place a shallow bowl.
- Pour the buffalo sauce on top and use kitchen tongs to flip chicken breasts to ensure they are completely coated. Season with salt and pepper and let marinate for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the air fryer is heated, evenly space out the chicken breast into the basket, breast side down (the smooth side).
- Air fry for 10 minutes, then with kitchen tongs and cook for another 4 – 6 minutes. I used medium 7-ounce chicken breasts and cooked for a total of 15 minutes. They will be done once the internal temp reaches 165°F and the outside is crisp. DO NOT overcook, it will be dry.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle with extra buffalo sauce and enjoy with a side of your favorite grain and vegetable.
Use store bought buffalo sauce or make your own.
To make chicken tenders: Cut chicken breast legth-wise into 3 – 4 strips each. Pat dry with a paper towel and coat in the buffalo sauce. Air fry for total of 10 – 12 minutes.
To Store: In an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
My Favorite Air Fryer: I highly recommend this one!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Lunch & Dinner
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American, Healthy
Keywords: Healthy buffalo chicken, buffalo fried chicken, healthy air fried buffalo chicken, gluten-free, dairy-free, kid-friendly, easy dinner, healthy chicken, healthy dinner
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!