The easiest 15-minute air fryer bbq chicken breast recipe that is healthy and gluten free. Made with 3 ingredients, this air-fried chicken is tender and juicy on the inside, crisp on the outside, and covered in a sweet and tangy barbecue sauce. Perfect for busy weeknight dinners!
The best air fryer bbq chicken breasts
Nothing screams Summer more than bbq chicken! And with warm weather right around the corner, I am so excited to share this recipe with you because I know I’ll be making it all summer long.
If you are a long-time Healthful Blondie follower, you know I love air fryers. They have changed cooking! It makes complicated recipes simple and easy to make. Typically, bbq chicken recipes require marinating, dry rubs, brining, etc. but now, with a trusty air fryer, you can make fancy barbecue chicken in 15 minutes!
Air frying chicken ensures the juices are locked in, and the chicken is super tender and moist on the inside and slightly crisp on the outside. It is the best of both worlds! Paired with a naturally sweet and tangy bbq sauce, this recipe is about to become your go-to.
Air fryer bbq chicken breasts are perfect for weeknight dinners, meal prep, lunch, and summertime cookouts. They only take 15 minutes to air fryer and only require three ingredients. I cannot wait to hear what you think!
Is this recipe healthy?
This bbq chicken recipe is healthy for a handful of reasons. First, it is made with sugar-free barbecue sauce. Second, there is no added oil since we are air frying the chicken. Third, it is gluten free, low carb, and has no breading. Fourth, it calls for 3 simple ingredients plus a few spices. So yes, the barbeque chicken is healthy.
You need three simple ingredients, plus some spices, for this healthy air fryer bbq chicken breast recipe. There is no marinade required, so grab your favorite barbecue sauce and let’s get cooking! Here is a list of ingredients, so you have everything prepared:
- Chicken Breast: First up, grab three medium-sized boneless and skinless chicken breasts. When air-fried, they are tender, juicy, and super moist.
- BBQ Sauce: The star ingredient in this recipe is 1/3 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce. This gives the chicken the best tangy, slightly sweet, smoky flavor. I love using this brand!
- Spices: We use a combination of paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to season the chicken and give it a ton of flavor.
- Cooking Spray: This prevents the chicken from sticking to the bottom of the air fryer.
Kitchen tools you’ll need
You only need an air fryer and a few measuring tools for this dinner recipe. Clean-up is a breeze, and you will be in and out of the kitchen in under 20 minutes! Here are the utensils and tools you’ll need:
How to make easy air fryer bbq chicken breast
Healthy air-fried bbq chicken breasts are easy to make since you don’t need to marinate the chicken. We will start by seasoning the chicken breast, then air frying them, and finally, we will coat the cooked chicken breasts in barbecue sauce. Here are detailed step-by-step instructions for any level cook:
Step 1: First, preheat the air fryer to 360°F; then lightly grease the basket with olive oil or avocado spray.
Step 2: Next, combine seasoning spices in a small bowl and set to the side.
Step 3: Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel; then use your hands to evenly season with the spices.
Step 4: Air fry for 10 minutes, then flip the chicken breasts with tongs and air fry for another 4 – 6 minutes. Remove the chicken breasts from the air fryer and generously top with BBQ sauce. Return to air fryer and cook for another 1 – 2 minutes, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Let chicken breast rest for 5 minutes before cutting and serving!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is bbq chicken gluten free?
Yes, this bbq chicken recipe is 100% gluten free since there is no breading.
What to serve with air fryer bbq chicken breast?
I like to serve air fryer bbq chicken breast with rice or sweet potatoes and a side of roasted vegetables. This recipe is also perfect for summer cookouts, so you can serve it with corn on the cob and a salad.
Is it spicy?
It depends on the type of bbq sauce you use. Some are mild, and some are hot, so make sure you buy the one you want in the store.
Can I use chicken thigh?
You can use chicken thigh instead of chicken breast for this recipe; just adjust the cooking time. Air fry for 8 minutes, then flip them over and air fryer for another 4 – 6 minutes until cooked through.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Let the chicken come to room temperature, then store leftovers in individual airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days for meal prep. Reheat in the microwave for 60 – 90 seconds until warm.
If you loved this air fryer recipe, try these next!
- Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken
- Air Fried Buffalo Chicken
- Air Fryer Orange Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breast
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F and lightly grease basket with olive oil or avocado spray.
- Combine seasoning spices in a small bowl.
- Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel, and then use your hands to evenly season with the spices.
- Air fry for 10 minutes, then flip the chicken breasts with tongs and air fry for another 4 - 6 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the air fryer and generously top with BBQ sauce.
- Return to air fryer and cook for another 1 - 2 minutes, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Let chicken breast rest for 5 minutes before cutting and serving!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!