The easiest 10-minute tender, crispy, and garlicky air fryer roasted broccolini recipe. It’s healthy and made with just 4 ingredients. The perfect side dish for any meal!
Tender and crispy air fryer roasted broccolini
Broccolini is such an underrated vegetable. It is delicious, easy to make, and goes well with so many dishes. And this air fryer broccolini is next level! It’s tender, crispy, garlicky, and cheesy.
Most broccolini recipes either call for steaming or sauteing. Air frying broccolini is the best of both worlds: the broccolini stalks are tender, and the heads are crispy. But I don’t like soggy vegetables, so that’s why I developed this super crispy one. It is very similar to oven roasting but takes a third of the time.
One of my favorite parts about this recipe is that it calls for four simple ingredients and only takes 10 minutes to make. It’s the perfect easy side dish for any recipe! Plus, you can customize it by adding pesto, balsamic glaze, or soy sauce for an Asian-inspired taste. I left a long list of options below.
Anyways, I cannot wait to hear what you think about this incredibly delicious and easy broccolini recipe. Once you try air fryer broccolini, you’ll never be able to eat any other kind. It’s so good!
Why you’ll love this air fryer recipe
- Air fryer roasted broccolini is crispy and tender.
- Ready in under 10 minutes.
- Perfect for a busy weeknight side dish.
- Easy to make.
- It’s lemony and garlic parmesan flavored.
- Kids and picky eaters will love it!
- Only 4 ingredients.
- Healthy recipe.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, and a vegan option.
- Customizable with over 5 flavor variations.
- Try this crispy and delicious air fryer broccoli and cauliflower next!
Ingredients & substitutions
This air fryer roasted broccolini is made with four ingredients, plus salt and pepper. Here is a list of all the ingredients so you are prepared – scroll to the bottom of this blog post to see the entire recipe card with measurements.
- Broccolini: You need 8 ounces. Once air fried, the broccolini is tender and crispy.
- Olive Oil: To help crispen the broccolini up as we air fry them. You can substitute extra-virgin olive oil with melted unsalted butter or avocado oil.
- Garlic: For that classic garlic flavor. I used fresh minced garlic for the best flavor. You can substitute this with 1 teaspoon of garlic powder if needed.
- Spices: Salt, pepper, and red chili flakes if you want to give the air fryer broccolini a little kick.
- Lemon & Parmesan: For garnish! Fresh lemon juice gives the broccolini the best tangy brightness. The parmesan makes it cheesy and delicious.
Kitchen tools required
You only need a few kitchen utensils to make these crispy air fryers broccolini. Clean-up is so easy! Here is a list:
- Air Fryer
- Small mixing bowl
- Cutting Board & Kitchen Knife
- Measuring Tools: 1/2 teaspoon and 1 Tablespoon.
How to make air fryer broccolini
Air frying is the easiest and fastest way to prepare tender and crispy broccolini. Roasting or sauteing broccolini can take up to 20 or 30 minutes, but air frying them only takes 10 minutes. Here are step-by-step directions and pictures for visual reference:
First, preheat your air fryer to 370°F and lightly grease the basket with non-stick olive oil spray.
Then, rinse your broccolini, pat it dry, and cut the bottoms of the stalks off.
Now, toss the broccolini in a mixing bowl with olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
After that, add to preheated air fryer in a single layer. Make sure not to overlap, or else the broccolini won’t get crispy.
Finally, air fry at 370°F for 6 – 7 minutes until tender and crispy.
TIP: every air fryer is different, so I recommend piecing the broccolini with a fork at the 6-minute mark to check if it is tender and cooked. You can add up to 2 minutes extra of cooking time if needed.
Serve immediately with a squeeze of fresh lemon and a sprinkle of parmesan. Enjoy!
Taste & texture
Air fryer roasted broccolini is seasoned with garlic, salt, and pepper. It’s garlicky, flavorful, and bright with the added fresh lemon juice. It truly has the best flavor and makes for an easy meal prep side dish.
The texture of air fryer broccolini is tender and crisp; it is very similar to oven roasting. They are slightly charred on the edges but soft on the inside. Don’t worry they are NOT mushy.
Expert recipe tips
Here are my expert cooking tips for making the perfect air fryer roasted broccolini:
Trim the ends of the broccolini. The ends of broccolini are tough and chewy, so make sure to trim them off before air frying.
Make sure the broccolini is dry before air frying! You MUST do this because if you don’t, the broccolini may get mushy and steam instead of air fryer from all the excess liquid.
Shake the basket at the 6-minute mark. Every air fryer is different, so I recommend shaking the broccolini around at the 6-minute mark to ensure they are cooking evenly.
Don’t skip out on the olive oil. You only need one tablespoon, and it is super important. The olive oil helps crispen up the broccolini as it air fries while also making them tender.
Make it vegan. You can easily make this air fryer broccolini recipe vegan by omitting the parmesan cheese or substituting it with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
Air fryer broccolini variations
Here are a few of my favorite air fryer broccolini flavor variations to change things up if you feel more adventurous!
Pesto. Add 2 – 3 tablespoons of your favorite pest to the broccoli before or after air frying. I love this nut-free basil one.
Asain-Inspired. Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce, 1/2 a teaspoon of sesame oil, and garnish with sesame seeds. Don’t add extra salt since soy sauce is already salty.
Balsamic Glazed. Drizzle and toss the air fryer broccolini in balsamic glaze.
Italian. Sprinkle 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese on top of the roasted broccolini after air frying them.
Cinnamon Maple Glazed. Add one tablespoon of pure maple syrup along with the olive oil. Remove the garlic powder, and replace it with 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon.
Rosemary or Parsley. Add freshly chopped up rosemary or parsley as a garnish to brighten the flavors up!
What to serve with air fryer broccolini
Air fryer roasted broccolini goes well with so many dishes. Here are some options broken out by protein types. You can serve it with chicken and turkey, salmon and tilapia, soups, and pizza recipes. Here are a few of my favorites:
Chicken & Turkey Recipes:
- Chicken Parm Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Buffalo Chicken Flatbread Recipe
- Balsamic Feta Stuffed Chicken
- Goat Cheese & Pesto Crusted Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs (Boneless & Skinless)
- Zucchini Turkey Meatballs
- Pumpkin Sweet Potato Soup
- Cauliflower Leek Potato Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Crustless Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use regular broccoli for this recipe?
Yes, you can also use broccoli florets for this air fryer recipe. The cook time may increase by 2 – 4 minutes. So check at the 7-minute mark and assess if you want the broccoli to be crispier. Check out this air fryer broccoli and cauliflower recipe too!
Why do I need to trim the ends off the broccolini?
The ends of broccolini stalks are tough and chewy, so I highly recommend trimming them off before cooking.
Can I make it oil free?
To make this air fryer broccolini recipe oil-free, substitute the olive oil with cooking spray. My favorites are olive oil spray and avocado oil spray. The broccolini will not be as crispy and tender, but it will work.
Is broccoli and broccolini low FODMAP?
Broccoli and broccolini can be low FODMAP; it depends on the serving size and part of the stalk. The florets (top parts) are low FODMAP if you enjoy a 3/4 cup serving. The stalks of both broccoli and broccolini are not considered low FODMAP.
Why is this recipe healthy?
Broccolini is a great healthy side dish for any meal. This recipe only uses healthy and simple ingredients, there is no added sugar, and they are vegan. Plus, broccolini is packed with calcium and magnesium.
Do they keep well for meal prep?
For maximum crispiness, air fryer roasted broccolini is best served warm straight out of their fryer. You can meal prep and reheat it later, but it will not be as crispy.
What temperature should I air fry broccolini?
You should air fry broccolini at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for tender stalks and crispy heads.
How long should I air fry broccolini at 370°F?
You should air fry broccolini for 6 to 8 minutes at 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to store and reheat leftovers:
Storing: Store leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating: You can reheat broccolini in an air fryer or microwave. For best results, reheat in an air fryer at 350ºF for 3 – 6 minutes until warm and crisp. If you are in a rush, you can microwave them for 30 – 45 seconds until warm (they will not be as crispy).
If you loved this recipe, try these next!
- Air Fried Parmesan Zucchini
- Air Fryer Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Green Beans (4 Ways!)
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash (3 Ways!)
- Air Fryer Baby Carrots
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Air Fryer Broccolini
- 1 bunch broccolini, (8 ounces)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp salt, more to taste
- ½ tsp fresh black pepper
- ½ tsp red chili flakes, optional
- 1 lemon, for serving
- Freshly grated parmesan, for serving
- Preheat your air fryer to 370°F and lightly grease the basket with non-stick olive oil spray.
- Rinse your broccolini, pat it dry, and cut the bottoms of the stalks off.
- Toss the broccolini in a mixing bowl with olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add to preheated air fryer in a single layer. Make sure not to overlap, or else the broccolini won’t get crispy.
- Air fry at 370°F for 6 – 7 minutes until tender and crispy. Every air fryer is different, so I recommend piecing the broccolini with a fork at the 6-minute mark to check if it is tender and cooked. You can add up to 2 minutes extra of cooking time if needed.
- Serve immediately with a squeeze of fresh lemon and a sprinkle of parmesan. Enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!