17 Jan Healthy Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
The Best Healthy Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes! This nutritious and rich dish is the perfect lighter version of classic chicken parm. It’s saucy, cheesy, and gluten-free! Pair with your favorite marinara sauce for an easy 60-minute comforting dinner or lunch. Makes for the best meal prep and family dinner!
The Best Ever Healthy Chicken parmesan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Ok, this recipe is seriously insane. It is a combination of two of my favorite things EVER…. chicken parmesan and sweet potatoes. A match made in heaven if you ask me.
This is an easy chicken dinner your whole family will love! Made with homemade marinara sauce, freshly grater parmesan and melted mozzarella cheese. Personally, living on my own I love making this recipe as meal prep for the week ahead. Life gets busy and I do not always have time to make gourmet dinners every night. That’s why I love these stuffed sweet potatoes so much! Make four, store them in your fridge, and enjoy all week long for lunch or dinner.
Not only are these healthy stuffed sweet potatoes filling and delicious, but they are secretly super nutritious! I mean who doesn’t love sweet potatoes and chicken parmesan!
This saucy, filling, and hearty recipe is perfect for this time of year and going to be a fan favorite! I love serving mine with a side Cesar salad or enjoying it by itself. The perfect weekend or weekday dinner!
How I Made This Chicken Parm Recipe Lighter and Healthier:
This saucy and healthy chicken parmesan stuffed sweet potato recipe is rich and sure to be your go to dinner. Here are four ways that I made this chicken parm more nutritious and health friendly without taking away from the taste!
- Used sweet potatoes which are rich in vitamin A and fiber
- I shredded my own chicken by poaching it in water
- Reduced the amount of cheese by blending two different types together, making it healthier without taking away from the amazing taste!
- I added fresh cherry tomatoes
Ingredients in Healthy Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Sweet potatoes
You’ll only need a few, simple ingredients to get this easy recipe going! I am all about simplicity and ease, so don’t worry, you won’t need to go to the supermarket and buy a lot of expensive ingredients and spices. You probably have most of these ingredients in your pantry already. For this easy dinner recipe, you’ll need organic chicken breast, marinara sauce, cheese, and of course, sweet potatoes!
- Sweet Potatoes
- Chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion, minced
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Marinara Sauce (I love Cucina Antica)
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Fresh basil
- Freshly grated parmesan
- Shredded Mozzerella
Easy Ingredient Substitutions for stuffed sweet potatoes
You guys probably know by now that I love simple and easy recipes! If you don’t love every ingredient in this one, I am here to help you out with a list of the very best substitutions!
Sweet Potatoes: If you run out of sweet potatoes, simply use regular hasselback potatoes!
Mozzarella Cheese: Simply substitute for a dairy-free alternative or vegan brand.
Yellow onion: Substitute with a white or red onion.
Garlic Powder: Just swap for 2 -3 minced garlic cloves.
Make this easy dinner vegan! Just leave out the chicken, add chickpeas or tofu, and swap the cheese for a plant-based alternative.
Looking for other tasty lunch and dinner recipes? Check these out!
What You’ll Need to Make Easy Chicken Parm Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
For this easy recipe, you’ll only need a couple of kitchen tools making the clean up super easy! You’ll need two pots to cook the chicken and sauce and a baking sheet to cook the sweet potatoes.
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Baking tray
- Two deep pots
- Stirring utensil
- Two forks
- Measuring cups: 1 tsp, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to Make the Best Ever Healthy chicken parmesan stuffed sweet potatoes
My favorite thing about this simple and easy stuffed sweet potato recipe (besides the taste of course) is how easy it is to make! This recipe takes 60 minutes from start to finish and is absolutely perfect for healthy family dinners!
First, preheat your oven to 350F and grease a baking sheet. Then, wash and dry your sweet potatoes and pierce each potato 5 times with a fork. Place the pierced potatoes on the lightly greased baking tray, spray with some avocado or olive oil spray, and bake until fork-tender.
When the sweet potatoes have about 20 minutes left, bring 2 – 3 cups of water to a boil on the stovetop. Season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper. If there are very large, I recommend cutting them in half before you add them to the water.
Next, place the seasoned chicken into the boiling water. Chicken should be covered by 1 inch of water. Reduce heat and let simmer until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F or is no longer pink in the center. This will take about 10 to 16 minutes. Remove the chicken from the water, let cool for 5 minutes, and then use two forks to shred the chicken.
Meanwhile, place a second pot on stovetop, add olive oil, and heat to medium. Saute your chopped onions and halved cherry tomatoes for 5 – 7 minutes. Then add in the marinara sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian season, and basil. Stir and let simmer for 3 minutes.
Next, add in the shredded chicken. Stir and let simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
Now, lower the temperature to low and add in the freshly grated parmesan and 1 Tablespoon of shredded mozzarella. Taste and adjust seasonings! Keep warm while you prep the sweet potatoes.
Once sweet potatoes are done baking, let cool slightly. Make a slit on the tops of sweet potatoes. With a fork, open the split and lightly fluff the insides to make space for toppings. Fill each sweet potato with the chicken parm mixture. Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella on top and place back in the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
Top with some fresh basil, maybe some gluten-free bread crumbs for some crunch, and enjoy! Serve immediately and store in an airtight container in fridge for up to 5 days.
How to Store Extra stuffed sweet potatoes
Make extra chicken parmesan stuffed sweet potatoes? No worries, this healthy dinner recipe is actually the best meal prep recipe ever! I love to save my extras in a sealed airtight container in the fridge. You can save any extras for up to 5 days and enjoy as lunch or dinner!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!Print
The best healthy chicken parmesan stuffed sweet potatoes! This nutritious and rich dish is the perfect lighter version of classic chicken parm. It’s saucy, cheesy, and gluten-free! Pair with your favorite marinara sauce for an easy 60-minute comforting dinner or lunch. Makes for the best meal prep and family dinner!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 10–15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning, more to taste
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parmesan, grated
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- optional topping: sprinkle of panko bread crumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes. Pierce each potato 5 times with fork, place on lightly greased baking tray, and spray with olive oil. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until fork-tender.
- When sweet potatoes have about 20 minutes left, bring 2 – 3 cups of water to a boil on stovetop. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place into boiling water. Chicken should be covered by 1 inch of water. Reduce heat and let simmer until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F or is no longer pink in the center. About 10 to 16 minutes. Remove chicken from water, let cool for 5 minutes, and use two forks to the shred chicken.
- Meanwhile, place a second pot on the stovetop, add olive oil, and heat to medium.
- Saute chopped onion and halved cherry tomatoes for 6 minutes. Add in minced garlic, stir, cook for 1 minute.
- Add in marinara sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian season, and basil. Stir and let simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add in shredded chicken. Stir and let simmer for additional 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add in freshly grated parmesan and 1 Tablespoon of shredded mozzarella. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Once sweet potatoes are done baking, let cool slightly. Cut the sweet potatoes open. With a fork, open the split and lightly fluff the insides to make space for toppings.
- Fill each sweet potato with chicken parm mixture. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top and place back in oven for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh basil, panko, and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in fridge for up to 5 days.
Can substitute chicken for chickpeas or tofu if vegan.
Can substitute parmesan and mozzarella for vegan or dairy-free alternatives.
Can substitute for 6 small sweet potatoes.
- Category: Lunch & Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: sweet potato, stuffed sweet potato, chicken parm, chicken parmesan, healthy chicken parmesan, healthy chicken parmesan stuffed sweet potato, sweet potato recipe, healthy dinner, healthy lunch, meal prep, meal prep dinner, gluten-free dinner, easy dinner, oven, healthy stuffed potato, healthy stuffed sweet potato
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!