These air fryer quesadillas are cheesy, perfectly crisp, and so easy to make. Ready in under 10 minutes, you can add chicken, steak, shrimp, beans, vegetables, or just cheese for the best classic quesadilla.
The best air fryer quesadilla recipe
I love quesadillas so much that I eat them at least once a day. These air fryer quesadillas are so delicious – they are cheesy with crisp and buttery edges. Each bite melts in your mouth… they are seriously addictive!
You can enjoy air fryer quesadillas plain with just cheese, or you can add chicken, pulled pork, steak, vegetables, bell peppers, and/or beans. The sky is the limit with variations, and I left a long list for you below. Just keep reading!
One of the best things about these air-fried quesadillas is that they take 7 minutes to make and call for three ingredients. Clean-up will be easy, you’ll save tons of time, and you do not need to have any cooking skills to make them.
Quesadillas are a perfect appetizer for Gameday, quick lunch, or as simple dinner. Kids and picky eaters will love this recipe.
Why you’ll love this air fryer recipe:
- Air fryer quesadillas take 7 minutes to make.
- The tortilla gets nice and crispy.
- The cheese is melty.
- The easiest way to cook a quesadilla.
- Just 3 ingredients are needed.
- Serve them as an appetizer, or for a quick lunch or dinner.
- It can be made 100% gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Vegan option too.
- You can add chicken, beef, beans, bell peppers, or pulled pork.
- Try these 5-minute air fryer tortilla pizzas next!
You only need three ingredients to make air fryer quesadillas! They make for the perfect quick lunch, dinner, and appetizer. Here is a list of ingredients:
- Flour Tortillas: First up, grab soft tortillas. I recommend using flour tortillas or a soft gluten-free version that gold in half easily.
- Shredded Cheese: You can use your favorite shredded cheese. I love sharp cheddar or a Mexican blend for these air fryer quesadillas.
- Olive Oil or Spray: To make sure that these quesadillas are crispy on the outside, you’ll need to spray the bottom of the air fryer basket and the tops of the quesadillas with olive oil or spray.
Kitchen tools required
Clean-up is so easy with this quesadilla recipe. In fact, you only need your air fryer and a spatula. Here is a list, so you are prepared and ready to cook!
How to make air fryer quesadillas
These homemade quesadillas are made in a few simple steps right in your air fryer! They are crispy on the outside and super cheesy on the inside. Here are step-by-step instructions:
First, preheat your air fryer to 350°F and spray the air fryer basket with olive oil, avocado oil, or nonstick spray.
Then, add about 1/4 to 1/3 cup cheese onto one side of the first tortilla, fold it in half, and place it into the air fryer basket. I used super soft flour tortillas, so it was not hard to fold; if there is resistance, heat up your tortilla in the microwave (with no cheese) for 10 – 15 seconds. If you are adding mix-in like chicken, beans, or vegetables, add them in this step too.
Repeat step 2 with the second tortilla.
Next, lightly brush the tops with olive oil or lightly spray again with avocado or olive oil. Air fry for 1 minute, then open the air fryer basket and use a spatula to press the quesadilla down, making sure it is folded in half and secure.
Continue to air fry for 3 – 5 minutes, flipping the quesadillas halfway through. They should be golden brown, and slightly crisp, and the cheese should be melted. Remove from the air fryer and gently press down with a spatula to ensure the quesadillas hold together.
Cut into triangles and serve immediately with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Expert tips for air fryer quesadillas
- Use soft tortillas. This is my #1 tip. Make sure you use a soft and foldable tortilla since you need to fold the tortillas in half before air frying. I recommend staying away from chickpea or cassava flour tortillas.
- Brush the tops with olive oil, melted butter, or cooking spray. This ensures extra crispy and golden quesadillas.
- Check how they are air frying after 1 minute. This is very important! Open the air fryer basket and use a spatula to press the quesadilla down to ensure it is folded in half and secure.
- Make it vegan. You can make these air fryer quesadillas vegan by using dairy-free, vegan shredded cheese.
- Add protein. Feel free to add cooked chicken, steak, beans, shrimp, pulled pork, or tofu. I left instructions in the recipe card.
Air fryer quesadilla variations
You can add anything you want inside these quesadillas: from chicken and steak to beans and vegetables. Here are my recommendations:
- Chicken Quesadilla: Add about 1/4 cup of cooked cubed or shredded chicken.
- Steak Quesadilla: Add about 1/4 cup of cooked cubed steak.
- Pork Quesadilla: Add about 1/4 cup of cooked shredded or pulled pork.
- Bean Quesadilla: Add about 1/4 cup of black beans, kidney beans, or even refried beans.
- Vegetable Quesadilla: Add about 1/4 cup of cooked fajita vegetables.
- Shrimp Quesadilla: Add 4 – 5 pieces of cooked shrimp to each quesadilla.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use corn tortillas?
I recommend using a soft flour tortilla; however, you can also use a corn one if needed to make this recipe gluten-free. Try to buy a brand that is super soft and foldable.
Can I use almond flour tortillas?
You can use almond flour tortillas for this recipe; however, almond flour tortillas tend to break when they fold in half. Ensure that they are sealed properly and check at the 1-minute and 2-minute mark when air frying.
Do I need to preheat my air fryer?
Yes! To get maximum crispiness and melty cheese, preheat your air fryer to 350°F while preparing the quesadillas.
Can I add chicken, shrimp, steak, or beans?
Yes! You can enjoy air fryer quesadillas plain with just cheese, or you can add cooked chicken, pulled pork, cooked steak, cooked shrimp, vegetables, bell peppers, and/or beans.
Can I make them vegan?
Yes, just use your favorite dairy-free shredded cheese.
Can I make them dairy free?
You can make these air fryer quesadillas dairy-free by using vegan shredded cheese. Try almond milk cheese or your favorite type.
What should I serve with quesadillas?
I love serving my quesadillas with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, Greek yogurt, and/or pico de Gallo. Pick your favorites and have fun with them!
What if my air fryer basket is small?
If your air fryer basket does not fit two quesadillas, simply cook one at a time.
Can I double or triple the recipe?
Yes, you can make as make quesadillas as you want with this recipe! Just cook them in batches, and do not allow the quesadillas to overlap in the air fryer.
What’s the best temperature to air fry a quesadilla?
For best results, air fry quesadillas at 350°F. If the temperature is too low, the tortillas won’t crispen up. If the temperature is too high, they can burn.
How long do I air fry quesadillas at 350°F?
Quesadillas take about 5 to 6 minutes to air fry at 350°F.
If you love this recipe, try these next!
- Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza
- Air Fryer Bagel Bites
- Air Fryer Halloumi
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Air Fryer Quesadillas
- 2 soft flour tortillas, at room temperature
- ½ – ⅔ cups shredded cheese, I recommend sharp cheddar or Mexican-blend
- Avocado or olive oil spray
- Optional Mix-Ins: shredded or cubed cooked chicken, cooked steak, cooked shrimp, cooked pulled pork, black or kidney beans, corn, fajita vegetables,
- Optional Toppings: salsa, guacamole, Greek yogurt, sour cream, or hot sauce,
- Preheat air fryer to 350°F and spray air fryer basket with olive oil, avocado oil, or nonstick spray.
- Cheese Quesadilla: Add about 1/4 to 1/3 cup cheese onto one side of the first tortilla, fold it in half, and place it into the air fryer basket. I used super soft flour tortillas, so it was not hard to fold, if there is resistance, heat up your tortilla in the microwave (with no cheese) for 10 – 15 seconds.
- Optional Mix-Ins: If you are adding mix-ins, add half the amount of cheese onto one side of the first tortilla, add desired mix-ins, top with the remaining cheese, then fold the tortilla in half and add to the air fryer.
- Repeat step 2 or 3 with the second tortilla.
- Lightly brush the tops with olive oil or lightly spray again with avocado or olive oil.
- Air fry for 1 minute, then open the air fryer basket and use a spatula to press the quesadilla down, making sure it is folded in half and secure.
- Continue to air fry for 3 – 5 minutes, flipping the quesadillas halfway through. They should be golden brown, slightly crisp, and the cheese should be melted.
- Remove from the air fryer and gently press down with a spatula to ensure the quesadillas hold together.
- Cut into triangles and serve immediately with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!