Quick and easy chicken fajita tacos are super flavorful, healthy, and gluten-free. They’re packed with authentic Mexican-inspired flavors and made in one pan. The perfect under-30-minute weeknight dinner!
Easy and healthy chicken fajita tacos
I love tacos! Some of my favorites are these Baja shrimp tacos, al pastor shrimp tacos, and cauliflower tacos. But when I am in the mood for chicken, I make these chicken fajita tacos. My entire family devoured them so fast, that I had to make double the next time!
Chicken fajita tacos are so flavorful, made with simple ingredients, and packed with protein. They are seriously easy to make and take under 30 minutes to prepare. Such a great healthy meal prep lunch and weeknight dinner recipe.
These chicken fajitas are so delicious that it is hard to believe you are not actually eating them at a restaurant. It’s impossible to tell that this recipe is healthy.
Feel free to serve these healthy chicken fajita tacos on corn, whole wheat, almond flour, chickpea flour, or cassava flour tortillas. They are so customizable and a dish that everyone will love.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- One pan chicken fajitas.
- Super flavorful.
- Easy weeknight dinner recipe.
- High in protein.
- Healthy and gluten-free.
- Ready in under 25 minutes.
- Made with chicken breast.
- Simple ingredients.
- Try these Baja shrimp tacos next!
Ingredients and substitutions
You only need a few simple ingredients and a few spices to make these one-pan chicken fajita tacos. Here is a list of everything you need so you are prepared:
- Chicken: I used skinless and boneless chicken breasts – a great source o ff lean protein! If needed, you can substitute chicken breasts with chicken thighs (which is the darker meat of the chicken).
- Olive Oil: A dash of olive oil will help perfectly sear the chicken and soften the onions and bell peppers.
- Yellow Onion: You’ll need one large yellow onion for this recipe. You can also use a white onion or red onion.
- Bell Peppers: This recipe calls for 3 bell peppers. You can use any colors you want, but I love yellow, red, and green to make this meal extra colorful!
- Lime: For an extra tangy flavor.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro makes everything taste better (trust me).
- Tortillas: Grab 8 – 10 of your favorite type of tortillas. You can use flour, whole wheat, almond flour, chickpea flour, or corn if you are gluten-free.
- Fajita Seasonings: You are going to need chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Toppings: Feel free to add salsa, pico de gallo, avocado, guacamole, sour cream, cheese on top of your healthy chicken fajita tacos.
Kitchen tools required
Here is a list of kitchen utensils you will need to make these super easy chicken fajita tacos.
- Saute Pan
- Stirring Utensil
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Tools: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon, and 1/4 cup.
How to make healthy chicken fajita tacos
Everyone is going to love this easy, 25-minute dinner recipe. The chicken is super moist and flavorful, plus these chicken tacos are gluten-free and healthy! Here are detailed step-by-step instructions with pictures for visual reference so any level cook can make these chicken fajita tacos. The full recipe and ingredient measurements are at the bottom of this page in the recipe card.
In a small bowl, combine all the fajita seasoning ingredients and set them to the side.
Next, place your chicken breasts on a paper towel and pat dry. Then use your fingers to evenly spread 1/2 of the seasoning on both sides of the chicken breasts. Save the rest for later!
Meanwhile, heat a large saute pan with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to medium. Place the chicken breasts in and sear for 7 – 8 minutes on each side. Once done, remove the chicken from the pan and let them rest for 5 minutes on a plate. This will ensure they are super juicy.
Add the onion and bell peppers to the same pan over medium heat. Add the leftover seasoning and saute for 4 – 5 minutes until softer. Stir frequently, so they do not burn.
After the chicken has rested, carefully slice them into thin strips. Then, add the chicken back into the pan with the onions and bell peppers. Add in the lime juice and chopped cilantro, and stir.
Serve your healthy chicken fajitas warm with flour or corn tortillas, salsa, pico de gallo, sour cream, cheese, and guacamole.
Recipe tips & variations:
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before cutting: this is my #1 tip for chicken fajita tacos. If you cut the chicken too soon after cooking it, the juices will leak out, and the chicken strips will be dry., Make sure to let the chicken rest (untouched) for 5 minutes, so all the juices get locked inside, and the chicken is extra moist.
- Use chicken thighs: If you don’t have chicken breasts, use chicken thighs.
- Make sure the oil is hot: make sure the oil is hot, or else the chicken won’t sear, and it can get rubbery.
- Make them gluten-free: I used flour tortillas in this recipe, but you can also use corn, almond flour, chickpea flour, or cassava flour tortillas if you prefer.
- Make them low-carb & keto: serve these chicken fajita tacos in romaine or butter lettuce taco shells to make them low-carb and keto.
What to serve with chicken fajitas tacos:
Chicken fajita tacos go well with so many things! I love adding guacamole, salsa, sour cream, or Greek yogurt. Don’t forget a sprinkle of cheese, shredded lettuce, and diced red onion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use chicken thighs?
Yes, you can substitute the chicken breast with 6 chicken thighs.
Are these chicken tacos gluten-free?
Yes, these chicken fajita tacos are gluten-free. Just make sure to use corn, almond flour, chickpea flour, or your favorite gluten-free tortilla alternative.
Can I meal prep this recipe?
Yes! This is one of my favorite meal prep recipes. Save extras in the fridge and enjoy them throughout the week. I recommend storing the chicken and veggies separately from the tortillas, so they don’t get soggy.
Can we use shrimp instead?
Yes, you can substitute the chicken with shrimp too. Simply, cook cleaned and tail-off shrimp for 2 – 3 minutes on each side, remove from the heat, and continue with step 4. Feel free to check out these Baja shrimp tacos too!
How to store and reheat leftovers:
Storing: Place leftovers into individual airtight containers and store them in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days. Store the tortillas separately from the chicken fajitas, so they don’t get soggy.
Reheating: Reheat in the microwave for 1 – 2 minutes until warm.
If you love this recipe, try these next!
- Baja Shrimp Tacos
- Al Pastor Shrimp Tacos
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato Boats
- Cauliflower Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Burgers
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Chicken Fajita Tacos
- 3 medium chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large bell peppers, red, yellow, green, thinly sliced
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 8 – 10 tortillas, corn, almond flour, chickpea flour, flour, or whole wheat
- Optional toppings: salsa, pico de gallo, avocado, guacamole, sour cream, cheese
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all the fajita seasoning ingredients and set them to the side.
- Place your chicken breasts on a paper towel and pat dry. Then use your fingers to evenly spread 1/2 of the seasoning on both sides of the chicken breasts. Save the rest for later!
- Heat a large saute pan with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to medium. Place the chicken breasts in and sear for 7 – 8 minutes on each side. Once done, remove the chicken from the pan and let them rest for 5 minutes on a plate. This will ensure they are super juicy.
- In the same pan, add the onion and bell peppers over medium heat. Add in the leftover seasoning and saute for 4 – 5 minutes until softer. Stir frequently so they do not burn.
- After the chicken has rested, carefully slice them into thin strips.
- Add the chicken back into the pan with the onions and bell peppers. Add in the lime juice, chopped cilantro, and stir.
- Serve immediately with flour or corn tortillas, salsa, pico de gallo, sour cream, cheese, and guacamole.
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply