Super flavorful and healthy mojito lime chicken burrito bowls that are loaded with cilantro brown rice, juicy chicken, black beans, sauteed bell peppers, and topped with homemade dressing. This Mexican inspired recipe is sure to be your new favorite meal. Ideal for meal prep, family dinners, and lunch!
The best healthy burrito bowls
Ok, I think I’ve found my new favorite dinner recipe. I love my taco stuffed sweet potatoes and turkey ranchero lettuce cups, but these healthy Chipotle style burrito bowls are next level! They have tons of flavor and are so easy to make.
These healthy burrito bowls are loaded with vegetables, served with homemade cilantro brown rice, and topped with a simple lime dressing. Plus, the pan-seared chicken is so juicy and tender.
These bowls make for the perfect lunch and dinner recipe that the entire family can enjoy. I love to make this recipe on a Sunday and save the rest for the week ahead; they are great for meal prepping.
Is this recipe healthy?
Not every burrito bowl recipe is “healthy.” That is why I am here to help! These easy mojito lime chicken burrito bowls are only made with a handful of simple ingredients and are jam packed with nutrients for a balanced and filling meal.
Each bowl is packed with 33 grams of lean protein! The black beans are high in fiber and protein as well. The bell peppers are loads of vitamins and micronutrients. And the avocado adds healthy fats to keep you full for hours and the brown rice adds fiber. So, yes these Mexican chicken bowls are definitely healthy!
These super flavorful healthy chicken burrito bowls call for a handful of simple, good-for-you ingredients. This recipe has three easy parts: the chicken marinade, second, the burrito bowls, and the homemade cilantro lime dressing. To make these chicken bowls you’ll need:
mojito lime marinade:
- Lime: we start with some fresh lime juice to help give this moist chicken the best flavor.
- Garlic cloves: minced garlic adds the best flavor.
- Fresh cilantro: plus, some cilantro is necessary for this tangy lime dressing.
- Spices: You need paprika, chili powder, and cumin.
- Salt & black pepper: taste your dressing and then adjust the seasonings to your liking.
chicken burrito bowls:
- Chicken breast: this recipe calls for 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts. We are going to marinate them and then pan-sear them.
- Olive oil: to sear the chicken, we use 1 Tablespoon of olive oil or avocado oil.
- Brown rice: brown rice is a fantastic whole grain, full of fiber, with a dash of protein.
- Romaine hearts lettuce: fresh romaine hearts is the ideal crunchy and fresh base to these burrito bowls.
- Bell pepper: bell peppers are not only super colorful, but they are so flavorful and fresh. I used two red bell peppers.
- Black beans: for extra protein, we’ll add black beans (or your favorite type of beans).
- Corn: corn adds the perfect sweet note to these flavorful burrito bowls.
- Red onion: dice up a red onion and add it to your healthy chicken burrito bowls for the best taste.
- Fresh pico de gallo or salsa: I bought premade pico de gallo in the vegetable section of my grocery store, but you can make your own too!
- Avocado: feel free to add some fresh and creamy avocado.
homemade cilantro dressing:
- Extra virgin olive oil: the base of this healthy lime dressing is olive oil.
- Lime: add in the juice from one lime for some tanginess.
- Cilantro: and chopped up fresh cilantro for the most authentic flavor.
- Garlic cloves: and some minced garlic.
- Cumin: to give this cilantro dressing an authentic Mexican inspired flavor, add in some ground cumin.
- Sea salt & black pepper
How to make mojito lime chicken burrito bowls
This healthy chicken burrito bowl recipe is so easy to make! You’ll need a saute pan to sear the chicken, a knife to cut the vegetables, and a bowl to mix the homemade cilantro dressing. So don’t worry, clean-up is going to be super easy. We’ll start by preparing and marinating the chicken, followed by preparing the chicken rice bowls, and, finally, top with the dressing! Here is a step-by-step how to make them:
Step 1: To start, in a large ziplock bag, mix together all the mojito lime marinade ingredients and then add in chicken, seal the bag and shake until chicken is evenly coated. Let the chicken marinate for at least 10 minutes and up to 1.5 hours.
Step 2: Next, in a large saute pan, heat the olive oil to medium-high heat. Add chicken to the pan and cook for 5 – 7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and no longer pink on the inside. Remove the chicken from the pan and let rest on a plate. Do not cut it yet.
Step 3: Next, add the sliced peppers to the same pan, and cook for about 5 minutes until soft and slightly charred. Add more olive oil if needed and season with salt and pepper.
Step 4: Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the cooked brown rice with lime juice, chopped cilantro, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Warm the black beans and corn according to the package instructions. I recommend heating beans in saute pan on low with the bean juice from the can.
Step 5: Then, make the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings based on your preference. Slice the chicken breasts.
Step 6: Finally, assemble bowls by adding lettuce as the base of each bowl, then evenly dividing and topping each with cilantro lime rice, warmed black beans, warmed corn, sauteed bell peppers, red onion, pico de gallo or salsa, chicken slices, and avocado slices. Sprinkle some cheese on top if desired, and enjoy!
Fequently Asked Questions
How do I meal prep this recipe?
To meal prep these healthy burrito bowls, be sure to let the chicken completely cool before dividing into separate airtight containers with all the salad compontents. When you are ready to eat your chicken and rice bowl, simply enjoy cold or microwave just the chicken before adding it back to the salad. I recommend dressing your bowls when you are ready to eat the bowl because no one likes soggy lettuce.
Are they gluten free?
Yes! These mojito lime chicken burrito bowls are gluten free since the only grain we are using is brown rice.
How do I store leftovers?
Simply store leftovers in one large airtight container or individual airtight containers in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. Store extra fajita bowl toppings and lettuce in a separate container to maximize freshness. Do not freeze.
How do I reheat burrito bowls?
For the best results, reheat your chicken and rice in the microwave and add on top of the cold salad.
Try these recipes next!
- Chicken Fajita Tacos
- Cauliflower Tacos with Cilantro Yogurt Crema
- Southwestern Zucchini Boats with Ground Turkey
- Easy Al Pastor Shrimp Tacos
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Mojito Lime Chicken Burrito Bowls
Mojito Lime Marinade:
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- 4 medium chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 - 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 cup of brown rice, cooked
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 6 - 8 cups of Romaine lettuce, chopped or shredded
- 2 large bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup black beans, warmed
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels, warmed
- ½ a red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh pico de gallo or salsa
- Optional Toppings: avocado, guacamole, sour cream, lime, cheese
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium limes, juiced (about ⅓ cup)
- 2 Tbsp of cilantro, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- In a large ziplock bag, mix together all the mojito lime marinade ingredients. Add in chicken, seal the bag and shake until chicken is evenly coated. Let marinate for at least 10 minutes and up to 1.5 hours.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil to medium-high heat. Add chicken to the pan and cook for 5 - 7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and no longer pink on the inside. Remove the chicken from the pan and let rest on a plate. Do not cut it yet.
- Meanwhile, add the sliced peppers to the pan, and cook for about 5 minutes until soft and slightly charred. Add more olive oil if needed and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix the cooked brown rice with lime juice, chopped cilantro, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Warm the black beans and corn according to the package instructions. I recommend heating beans in saute pan on low with the bean juice from the can.
- Make the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings based on your preference.
- Slice the chicken breasts.
- Assemble bowls by adding lettuce as the base of each bowl, then evenly dividing and topping each with cilantro lime rice, warmed black beans, warmed corn, sauteed bell peppers, red onion, pico de gallo or salsa, chicken slices, and avocado slices. Sprinkle some cheese on top if desired, and enjoy!
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!