The best skinny spicy margarita recipe made with tequila, fresh lime, orange juice, and a hint of jalapeño. They’re easy to make with just 5 ingredients and served in tajin rimmed glasses! The best healthier spicy margs.
The best spicy skinny margarita recipe
Margaritas are such a fun and tasty cocktail! They’re refreshing, easy to make, and the ideal Summer drink.
And these spicy margaritas are next-level delicious! They have a hint of spice from some jalapeño slices and are served in homemade tajin rimmed glasses.
I called this recipe a “skinny” margarita because it’s naturally sweetened with freshly squeezed orange juice rather than sugar or syrup. These spicy margaritas are also low-calorie and healthier than traditional recipes.
You can enjoy one or two of these spicy margaritas for half the amount of sugar and calories that traditional ones. They are still sweet from the oranges and pack heat from the jalapeños.
Why you’ll love this healthy margarita recipe
- Easily make it in less than 5 minutes
- Single-serve recipe or make a pitcher
- Naturally sweetened with fresh orange juice
- Healthier margaritas with no refined sugar!
- Under 150 calories
- Refreshing healthy cocktail
You only need five ingredients to make these skinny spicy margaritas! Instead of sugar or syrup, we use freshly squeezed orange juice and a dash of honey to sweeten them. Here is a list, so you have all your ingredients prepared:
- Silver Tequila: This is another term for Blanco tequila. You can use any brand you want; I love Silver Patron.
- Limes: You’ll need 2 – 3 limes for this skinny margarita recipe.
- Orange: Instead of sugar, we use the juice from half an orange. It adds the best natural sweetness to these skinny spicy margaritas.
- Honey (Optional): If you want a little extra sweetness, feel free to add a little honey. This is an all-natural sweetener, so don’t worry, it’s healthy!
- Jalapeño: This adds the perfect amount of spiciness to these skinny margaritas. You just need one if you are making 2 or 3 spicy margs. Buy more if you plan on making more or making a pitcher.
- Tajin Seasoning: You can always stick to the classics and use coarse sea salt, but I love enjoying my spicy margaritas in tajin-rimmed glasses. It adds a fun and delicious flavor.
Kitchen tools needed
Here is a list of all the kitchen tools you’ll need to make this margarita recipe. Don’t worry, you probably have everything already! If you don’t, I offer lots of alternative kitchen utensils that work perfectly.
- Cocktail shaker or sealable jar
- Double jigger (shot glass)
- Strainer (if not using a cocktail shaker with one)
- Small plate
- Cocktail glass or drinking cup
How to make skinny spicy margaritas
Skinny spicy margaritas are so easy to make in under 5 minutes. They are naturally sweetened with fresh orange juice and have the perfect amount of heat. Here are step-by-step instructions on how to make a single-serve spicy skinny margarita:
First, add tajin onto a small plate. Then, wet the rim of your glass by rubbing a lime wedge around the top edge, then dip it into the tajin. Fill the glass with ice and set it to the side.
In a cocktail shaker, add tequila, lime juice, orange juice, honey, and jalapeño slices. Then, top with ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, use a sealable jar or water bottle.
Strain and pour into tajin rimmed glass. Then, garnish with lime wedges and an extra jalapeño slice.
Enjoy your healthy spicy margarita!
How to make pitcher spicy skinny margaritas
You can make this single-serve recipe into a skinny spicy margarita pitcher recipe by scaling this recipe by 6. Just add all your ingredients to a large pitcher, stir, adds lots of ice, and enjoy! A pitcher of this skinny spicy margarita recipe will serve 6 – 7 people.
Why are they called skinny margaritas?
Skinny margaritas have no added refined sugar in them; they are naturally sweetened with juice or honey and are lower in calories than traditional recipes.
That’s why this spicy margarita recipe is “skinny” – it’s naturally sweetened with fresh orange juice and has only 150 calories per glass. There is NO cane sugar or syrup in them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are they low sugar?
Yes, there is no added refined sugar in this spicy margarita recipe. There are 3 grams of sugar total, all of which come from the freshly squeezed orange juice and honey.
What is a spicy margarita?
A spicy margarita is a classic margarita with added “heat” and “spiciness.” We use a Jalapeño in this recipe, but serrano chilies are common too!
What is tajin seasoning?
We rim our margarita glasses with tajin seasoning, which is a traditional and popular Mexican spice made from dried peppers, lime, and salt. It has some heat but is not spicy.
How many calories are in a skinny margarita?
There are 150 calories in this spicy skinny margarita recipe.
How to store leftovers:
Spicy margaritas are best enjoyed right after you make them. If you make extras, you can refrigerate the leftovers for up to 1 day.
If you loved this recipe, try these next!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Skinny Spicy Margarita Recipe
- 2 ounces (¼ cup) silver tequila, also called Blanco tequila
- 1.5 ounces (3 Tbsp) fresh lime juice, about 1 lime
- 1 ounce (2 Tbsp) fresh orange juice, about ½ an orange
- 1 – 2 tsp honey or agave nectar, optional depending on your desired level of sweetness
- 2 – 3 slices slices of fresh jalapeño, add more for spicer margarita
- 1 lime, sliced for garnish
- Tajin seasoning or coarsely ground sea salt
- Add tajin onto a small plate. Wet the rim of your glass by rubbing a lime wedge around the top edge, then dip it into the tajin. Fill the glass with ice and set it to the side.
- In a cocktail shaker, add tequila, lime juice, orange juice, honey (optional), and jalapeño slices. Top with ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, use a sealable jar or water bottle.
- Strain and pour into tajin rimmed glass.
- Garnish with lime wedges and extra jalapeño slices. Enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply