Warm cinnamon and maple-glazed air fryer apples are the perfect healthy dessert that everyone will love! They taste like apple pie filling and are vegan, gluten free, and refined sugar free.
The best air fried apples
Apple pie is great, but, if we are honest, the filling has always been my favorite part. That’s why I am so excited to share this new air fryer apple recipe with you. It tastes like apple pie filling, but better!
I was inspired to try air frying apples since I love my air fryer banana chips so much! I never thought I would be so into air frying fruit. But let me tell you, it is a complete game-changer.
These air fried baked apple bites are outrageously delicious. They are warm with a cozy maple cinnamon glaze and incredibly easy to make. Not only are they healthier than traditional baked apple pie fillings, but they are taster. The maple syrup flavor is better than all the added sugars of traditional recipes.
Anyways, I am so excited for you to give these air fryer baked apples a whirl! Please let me know what you think in the comments below.
What makes this recipe healthy?
This recipe is healthy for a few reasons. First, it only calls for 4 simple and wholesome ingredients: apples, cinnamon, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Second, there is no added refined sugar; these air fried apples are naturally sweet. Third, there is no flour making this recipe is gluten free. Fourth, these air fryer apples are dairy free, paleo, and vegan!
To make air fryer apples, you’ll need four simple, healthy, and wholesome ingredients. There is no refined sugar, no oils, no flour, and no gluten! Trust me, you probably have all these ingredients in your pantry already. Here is a list of ingredients, so you have every prepared:
- Apples: The first and most important ingredient is apples. You’ll be needing two large, crisp red apples. I used a Honey Crisp!
- Cinnamon: 1 teaspoon of cinnamon adds the most wonderful flavor to these air fryer apples. Honestly, they taste like apple pie filling.
- Coconut Oil: Just 1 Tablespoon of melted coconut oil will help make these apples tender on the inside but slightly crisp on the outside. Don’t worry; you cannot taste coconut at all if you use refined coconut oil.
- Maple Syrup: Finally, 2 Tablespoons of maple syrup is used for glazing these air fried apples and making them sweet and delicious!
Best types of apples to use
I highly recommend using apples that are sweet, crisp, and firm. The best apples for air frying are Pink Lady, Honey Crisp, Gala, and Jonagold. You can certainly use Granny Smith apples, but they tend to be sour by nature.
How to make air fryer apples
Making air fryer apples is so easy. This recipe takes about 15 minutes total, including prep time and cleaning. Plus, any level cook can make these air fried baked apple bites because it doesn’t require professional skill! Here are detailed step-by-step instructions for any level cook:
Step 1: First, preheat your air fryer to 380°F. Then, lightly spray with non-stick spray.
Step 2: Next, add the peeled apple cubes into a bowl and toss with 1 Tablespoon maple syrup, coconut oil, and cinnamon.
Step 3: Add apple cubes to the heated air fryer basket. Make sure they don’t overlap too much, or else they will not cook properly.
Step 4: Air fry for 10 – 14 minutes, shaking halfway through. They should be golden, slightly crispy on the outside, and tender on the inside.
Step 5: Remove from the air fryer and toss the warm apples in 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup.
What to serve with air fryer apples
The sky is the limit because you can enjoy air fryer apples as a snack, breakfast, or dessert! Here are my ideas:
Personally, I love enjoying air fryer apples as a healthy dessert with some vanilla ice cream, frozen yogurt, or whipped cream.
Skip the ice cream and add your air fryer apples to an oatmeal bowl for a yummy breakfast!
Enjoy these air-fried apples on their own as a little afternoon snack. They are delicious.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are they gluten free?
Yes, this recipe is 100% gluten free since there is no flour or grains. In fact, it is also dairy free, which makes this recipe paleo!
What can I use instead of coconut oil?
You can use olive oil or olive oil spray if you do not want to use coconut oil.
Can I double or tripple the recipe?
Yes, you can certainly double or triple this recipe. Just make sure that the apples are not piled on top of each other in the air fryer, or else they will not cook properly. You might need to air fry in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer basket.
Are they vegan?
Yup! Air fryer apples are vegan.
Can I store leftovers?
I recommend enjoying air fryer apples within 20 minutes. They are best when warm, but if you have extras, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator and warm them in the microwave when you are ready to enjoy them.
If you loved this recipe, try these next!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Air Fryer Apples
- 2 red apples, pink lady, honey crisp, or gala, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch bite-sized cubes
- 2 Tbsp real maple syrup, divided
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil, refined has no taste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your air fryer to 380°F and lightly spray with non-stick spray.
- Add the peeled apple cubes into a bowl and toss with 1 Tablespoon maple syrup, coconut oil, and cinnamon.
- Add apple cubes to the heated air fryer basket. Make sure they don’t overlap too much, or else they will not cook properly.
- Air fry for 10 – 14 minutes, shaking halfway through. They should be golden, slightly crispy on the outside, and tender on the inside.
- Remove from the air fryer and toss the warm apples in 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup.
- Enjoy warm with vanilla ice cream, oatmeal, or on its own!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply