Cozy up with this rich and creamy oat milk hot chocolate. Made with 5 simple ingredients and real chocolate, this hot cocoa is a must this winter!
Cozy hot cocoa make with oat milk
Now that it is chilly outside, nothing screams sweater weather and the holidays more than this hot cocoa. In fact, I am sipping on a mug right now as I write this post. It makes me so happy.
This hot cocoa reminds me of going to a Christmas tree farm with my family all bundled up, snow on the ground, hands clasped around a cup of hot chocolate to stay warm. Pure joy.
Oat milk hot chocolate is rich, creamy, and perfectly sweet. I would go as far as to say that it’s better than traditional hot chocolate because oat milk is much creamier than regular milk or almond milk. It might be dairy-free, but no one will be able to tell. In fact, I bet they will ask why it’s so good.
Just pour a glass, top with some whipped cream, and cozy up on the couch with a blanket and a book. Everyone will love this hot chocolate recipe!
Is oat milk gluten free?
Not all oat milk is gluten free, so be sure to look at the packaging before purchasing. Most oat milk brands are; however, it is essential to double-check that the oats used are gluten-free certified. If you are making homemade oat milk, use gluten-free certified oats.
You only need five ingredients to make rich oat milk hot chocolate! It makes for the perfect breakfast, snack, and dessert. Here is a list of ingredients:
- Oat Milk: The oat milk makes this hot chocolate much creamier and richer than traditional recipes. You will need 4 cups of your favorite brand.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: To add the chocolate flavor, add in 3 Tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder. I don’t recommend the Trader Joe’s brand as I found it lacks flavor.
- Sugar: For some sweetness, add in your favorite sweetener. I used sugar, but you can use coconut sugar, honey, or maple syrup.
- Vanilla Extract: For the best taste, add in a dash of vanilla.
- Semisweet Chocolate: My secret ingredient to making this hot chocolate super chocolaty and rich. We’ll melt in 1/3 cup of semisweet chocolate into the oat milk for the best taste.
Kitchen tools need
Clean up is so easy. In fact, you only need a pot and a whisk. Here is a list, so you are prepared:
- Small Pot
- Measuring Tools: 1/4 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon, 1/3 cup and 1 cup.
How to make oat milk hot chocolate
Homemade oat milk hot chocolate is made in three simple steps! It is rich, creamy, and sure to be a family favorite. Here are step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: First, add oat milk to a small pot and heat over medium-low. Do not let the milk boil; it will burn.
Step 2: Add in cocoa powder, sugar, and vanilla extract and gently whisk until combined.
Step 3: Once warm, add chocolate chips or chopped bar and continuously whisk until it melts.
Serve immediately topped with your choice of whipped cream, toasted or mini marshmallows, and chocolate shavings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use dark chocolate?
Yes, you can use dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or semi-sweet chocolate for this oat milk hot cocoa recipe.
Can I use vegan chocolate?
If you want to make this hot chocolate vegan, then use vegan chocolate chips or cut up a vegan chocolate bar.
Can I add coffee?
If you want to caffeinate this hot chocolate, I recommend adding in 1 -2 espresso shots.
What to top hot chocolate with?
The sky is the limit! I love topping hot chocolate with whipped cream, toasted marshmallows, mini marshmallows, and even chocolate shavings. Have fun with it!
Can I double this recipe?
Yes, you can easily double this recipe if you are preparing it for a larger group. Just remember to use a larger pot.
Try these recipes next!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
- Add oat milk to a small pot and heat over medium-low. Do not let the milk boil, it will burn.
- Add in cocoa powder, sugar, and vanilla extract and gently whisk until combined.
- Once warm, add chocolate chips and continuously whisk until it melts.
- Serve immediately topped with your choice of whipped cream, toasted or mini marshmallows, and chocolate shavings.
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!