This Asian-inspired spicy cucumber salad recipe is light, refreshing, and healthy. It’s packed with fresh ingredients like crisp accordion cucumbers, green onion, soy sauce, red chili flakes, garlic, and sesame oil. The perfect 5-minute side dish, appetizer, and snack!
The best accordion spicy cucumber salad recipe
I love cucumber – it is light, refreshing, healthy, and has the best crunch. It pairs well with just about everything and is a great salad addition. This spicy cucumber salad is going to be your new favorite Summer dish. It’s packed with bold flavors and makes for the perfect appetizer, snack, and side dish.
This spicy cucumber salad recipe takes 5 minutes to make, and it only calls for healthy ingredients like mini cucumbers, green onion, soy sauce, garlic, red chili flakes, and rice vinegar. It’s so easy to make.
My favorite part about this spicy cucumber salad is that we cut the mini cucumbers into mini accordions. They are spiralized and so fun to eat. Of course, you can cut them into bite-sized pieces or slices, but accordion cucumbers are so fun!
I cannot wait to hear what you think about this super easy and delicious Asian spicy cucumber salad. Everyone will love it and be surprised by your cooking skills! It’s the ideal meal prep, lunch, side, appetizer, and snack.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Made with spiral accordion cucumbers.
- The dressing is light, bright, and tangy.
- No oil in the vinaigrette.
- This spicy cucumber salad is healthy, gluten-free, and vegan.
- Perfect side dish for any meal.
- Viral Tik Tok and Instagram spicy cucumber salad.
- Great appetizer and snack.
- This recipe is oil-free and sugar-free.
- Great for warm weather and the Summer.
- Easy to make in 5 minutes.
- Try this refreshing Thai Mango Salad next!
Ingredients needed & substitutions
This is the best spicy cucumber salad recipe ever! It’s light, refreshing, and super fresh. Best of all, you only need a handful of simple ingredients. Here is a list of everything you need so you are prepared:
Accordion Cucumber Salad:
- Mini Cucumbers: They are so fresh and make this salad light and refreshing. Mini cumbers are also called Persian cucumbers.
- Green Onion: This adds the best sharpness to the salad. Use both the white and green parts.
- Sesame Seeds: For garnish.
Spicy Soy Dressing:
- Soy Sauce: For saltiness and flavor. You can also use coconut aminos or tamari.
- Rice Vinegar: This adds sharpness, tang, and the perfect amount of acidity to the simple soy dressing. You can also use white wine vinegar.
- Sesame Oil: This adds so much flavor and gives this spicy cucumber salad that authentic taste.
- Honey: Optional, but I love adding just a little for naturally sweetness. You can also use maple syrup.
- Garlic: For the best taste, use fresh garlic cloves.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: This adds some spicy heat.
How to make spicy cucumber salad
This spicy cucumber salad recipe takes 5 minutes to prepare! Any level cook can make it since it’s so easy to make and you don’t need an oven. Here are detailed step-by-step instructions with pictures for visual reference so anyone can make it. The full recipe and ingredient measurements are at the bottom of this page in the recipe card.
First, start by preparing the accordion cucumbers by washing, drying, and cutting the ends off the cucumbers. Then, doing this one at a time, place a cucumber between two chopsticks. After that, cut the cucumber at a 45° angle, making thin diagonal slices on the top (the chopstick will prevent you from cutting all the way through). Then, flip the cucumber over and make 90° angle cuts. Then, cut the spiraled cucumbers in half, then add them to a large mixing bowl.
Tip: Don’t cut the cucumbers straight across or at a 45° angle again – the spiral won’t work!
Then, make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Finally, assemble the salad by pouring the dressing over the cucumbers and mixing gently so the cucumbers don’t break. Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
How to cut perfect accordion cucumbers
Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to cut the famous Tik-Tok accordion cucumbers for this spicy cucumber salad recipe:
- Wash, dry, and cut the ends off the cucumbers.
- Place one mini or Persian cucumber between two chopsticks you don’t mind nicking up with cut marks.
- Cut the cucumber at a 45° angle, making very thin diagonal slices on the top (the chopstick will prevent you from cutting all the way through).
- Flip the cucumber over and make 90° angle cuts. Don’t cut the cucumbers straight across or at a 45° angle again – the spiral won’t work!
- Finally, cut the spiraled cucumbers in half, then add them to a large mixing bowl.
Recipe tips & variations
- Use mini cucumbers. They are also called Persian cucumbers at some grocery stores. Mini cucumbers are much smaller than English cucumbers, which makes them perfect for cutting into accordions.
- If you use English cucumbers – cut them into bit sides pieces. Don’t try to make the accordion cuts on English cucumbers; they are too wide.
- Taste the dressing and adjust the seasonings. You can always tweak the spice and sweetness levels. Start with my recipe and then adjust based on your taste buds.
- Add lettuce if you want. Feel free to serve this spicy cucumber salad recipe on a bed of chopped remain, spinach, Boston lettuce, or iceberg. It will add volume.
- Let the salad marinate. This is not essential, but if time permits, let the spicy cucumber salad marinate in the dressing for maximum flavor.
- Meal prep & make ahead of time. This recipe is perfect for meal prep. It keeps for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Add chopped almonds, cashews, or peanuts. This adds extra crunch!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to cut the cucumbers in spirals?
No! You can cut the cucumbers into bite-sized pieces too.
Can I use an English cucumber?
If you want to make accordion cucumbers, you must use mini or Persian cucumbers; however, you can certainly use an English cucumber in this recipe too. Simply wash, dry, and cut the English cucumber into bite-sized pieces.
Can I add almonds, cashews, or peanuts?
Yes! I love adding chopped almonds, cashews, or peanuts to this spicy cucumber salad for extra crunch.
Do I need to peel the cucumber skin off?
You can if you want, but it is unnecessary and an extra step.
Is spicy cucumber salad healthy?
Yes, this spicy cucumber salad recipe is healthy for many reasons; here are a few: (1) it is made with fresh and simple ingredients, (2) it is refined sugar-free, (3) low calorie, (4) low carb and keto, and (5) it is vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
Is it vegan?
Yes, this spicy cucumber salad is vegan. Remember to use maple syrup instead of honey in the dressing.
How many calories are in Persian cucumbers?
Mini Persian cucumbers are low in calories. They have about 18 calories per 100g serving which is about two mini cucumbers.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Spicy cucumber salad is great for meal prep. You can easily make it ahead of time for lunches or for an event or party. If fact, letting the salad marinate in the dressing for 30 minutes before serving enhances the depth of flavor. You can store it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
What to serve with spicy cucumber salad:
Spicy cucumber salad goes well with so many dishes. You can serve it with this simple grilled chicken, these air fryer boneless chicken thighs, these Asian chicken meatballs, or this air fryer teriyaki chicken. If you’re craving seafood, try these furikake salmon bowls, air fryer tilapia, or these air fryer teriyaki salmon bites.
How to store:
For best results, keep any leftover spicy cucumber salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
If you love this recipe, try these next!
- Thai Mango Salad
- Asian Chicken Meatballs
- Shrimp Poke Bowls
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Teriyaki Salmon Bites
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Spicy Cucumber Salad
- 8 mini or Persian cucumbers
- 1 green onion, ends trimmed and finely sliced
- Sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tbsp low-sodium soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminios (if gluten free)
- 1 ½ tbsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp crushed or full red chili flakes
- Prepare the Accordion Cucumbers. Wash, dry, and cut the ends off the cucumbers. Now, doing this one at a time, place a cucumber between two chopsticks. Cut the cucumber at a 45° angle, making thin diagonal slices on the top (the chopstick will prevent you from cutting all the way through). Flip the cucumber over and make 90° angle cuts. Don’t cut the cucumbers straight across or at a 45° angle again – the spiral won’t work! Cut the spiraled cucumbers in half, then add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- Assemble the salad. Pour dressing over cucumbers and mix gently so the cucumbers don’t break. Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!