Best Ever Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice
Best ever healthy vegetable fried rice for a comforting, hearty, and nutritious dinner. Made with simple ingredients like cauliflower rice, broccoli, carrots, eggs, and organic brown rice, this delicious Asian-inspired one-pan dinner is made gluten-free, dairy-free, and low-fat. An easy dinner your family and kids will love!
The best healthy vegetable fried rice
Vegtable fried rice is one of my all-time favorite Asian dishes! There is just something about the nutrious tender veggies, crispy rice, and soy sauce flavor that I can’t resist. Fried rice makes for the best comforting dinner, especially in the cold winter months. Plus it’s SO EASY TO MAKE.
This healthy take on traditional fried rice is light, deep with flavor, and perfectly tangy. It only takes 20 minutes and one pan to make! Seriously, any level cook can make this dinner recipe (even beginners!)
One of my favorite things about this easy fried rice recipe is how customizable it is! Bring your vegetarian egg vegetable fried rice to the next level by adding shrimp, ground turkey, tofu, chicken, beef, or even pineapple! You can even make this dinner vegan by adding tofu or tempeh and taking out the egg.
This recipe makes enough that I stashed half in the freezer or fridge for those nights when I am tired and just want an easy dinner. This healthy vegetable fried rice makes for the best meal prep and tastes better than a restaurant fried rice!
How I Made this easy fried rice healthier:
This flavorful healthier fried rice is nutritious and incredibly tasty! You only need a few very simple ingredients, all of which are healthier alternatives to what you’ll find in store-bought brands or restaurant take-out. There is no added sugar, no gluten, and no random ingredients in this recipe!
Here are three ways that I made this fried rice more nutritious and health-friendly without taking away from the taste!
- Added fresh carrots and red bell pepper for lots of vitamin A!
- Used a combination of cauliflower rice and brown rice to add volume and vitamin C!
- Used low-sodium gluten free soy sauce (tamari soy sauce) to increase the depth of flavors while reducing the sodium levels.
Ingredients in healthy egg fried rice
You’ll only need a few, simple ingredients to get this easy dinner recipe going! I am all about simplicity and ease, so don’t worry, you won’t need to go to the supermarket and buy a lot of expensive ingredients and spices. Kind of crazy how flavorful this healthy version of fried rice is!
- Olive oil
- White onion
- Red bell pepper
- Frozen veggies: You will want at least one whole bag (12 oz) of frozen veggies to make this tasty fried rice. I used broccoli florets and peas!
- Frozen cauliflower rice
- Salt & black pepper
- Cooked brown rice (I used 1 bag of Trader Joe’s frozen brown rice)
- Soy sauce or tamari – make use you use tamari if you are gluten free!
- Sesame oil
- Green onions
Healthy fried rice is a very simple recipe. I love spicing it up with some toppings! Here are some tasty topping ideas….
- Sesame seeds
- Green onion slices
- Slivered almonds
- Crushed red pepper flakes
Easy healthy fried rice variations
The sky’s the limit when it comes to homemade fried rice variations, so feel free to get creative and use up other leftover ingredients you may happen to have on hand. Here are some of the BEST classic add-ins:
- Chicken Fried Rice: Add some delicious chicken to this meal to increase the protein! You can either sauté some chicken in a separate sauté pan while making your fried rice or shred a rotisserie chicken.
- Turkey Fried Rice: Saute some ground lean turkey in a pan while making the healthy fried rice. Then add it to your rice!
- Tofu Fried Rice: Saute some tofu in a pan while making the healthy fried rice. Then add it to your rice!
- Shrimp Fried Rice: Sauté half a pound of peeled and cleaned raw shrimp in a separate pan while making your fried rice. Then add the shrimp to your rice.
- Beef or Pork Fried Rice: Sauté steak, pork chop, or ground beef in a separate pan. Then dice and add to your rice.
- Pineapple Fried Rice: Add some fresh pineapple to your rice by chopping and stirring it in!
What You’ll Need to Make restaurant style fried rice
For this easy healthy dinner recipe, you’ll only need a couple of kitchen tools making the clean up super easy! To make this one-pan healthy vegetable fried rice, you’ll need:
- Chopping Knife
- Cutting Board
- One Large Pot or Dutch Oven
- Stirring Utensil
- Measuring cups: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 Tbsp, 1/2 cup, 1 cup.
How to Make best ever healthy vegetable fried rice
My favorite thing about this simple and easy vegetarian dinner recipe (besides the taste of course) is how easy they are to make! This recipe is the absolute perfect healthy family dinner or healthy meal prep recipe; plus, this Asian fried rice dish is gluten-free and healthy!
To begin, simply cook your eggs in a large pan or dutch-oven. Set to the side when done cooking.
Next, using the same pan, heat olive oil to medium-high heat and add carrots, onions, red bell pepper. Cook for 3 minutes until softened. Then, add in your frozen vegetables (I used broccoli & peas), garlic, and fresh grated ginger. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Now it’s time to add in the cauliflower rice, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes and stir until heated through.
After that, add in your cooked brown rice, soy sauce, sesame oil, and scrambled eggs. If there are large clumps of rice or egg, break them apart with a spatula. Finally, add in sliced green onions.
Serve your easy fried rice immediately with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, sliced green onions, and whatever else you might want!
Refrigerate extras in a sealed container for up to 4 days and enjoy your best ever healthy vegetable fried rice.
How to Store Extra easy vegetable egg fried rice
Make extra healthy vegetable fried rice? No worries, I love to save my extras in a sealed airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months. This is the perfect meal prep recipe!
Looking for other tasty dinner recipes? Check these out!
Need some more tasty dinner, lunch, or meal prep ideas? Here are some of my favorite Healthful Blondie dinner recipes to try out….
- Thai Peanut Chicken Curry
- Moroccan Chicken Tagine
- 30-Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Healthy Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!Print
Best ever healthy vegetable fried rice for a comforting, hearty, and nutritious dinner. Made with simple ingredients, this delicious Asian-inspired one-pan dinner is made gluten-free, dairy-free, and low-fat. An easy dinner your family and kids will love!
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 (12oz) bag frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (I used 1 bag of Trader Joe’s frozen brown rice)
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and beat them together.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with nonstick spray or drizzle of olive oil. Cook eggs for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Transfer soft scrambled eggs to a separate plate.
- Return skillet to stovetop and add olive oil. Once hot, add carrots, onions, red bell pepper. Cook for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add in broccoli, peas, garlic, and ginger. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in cauliflower rice, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes and stir until heated through.
- Add in cooked brown rice, soy sauce, sesame oil, and scrambled eggs. If there are large clumps of rice, break them apart with spatula. Add in green onions.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
- Refrigerate extras in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
Can use any frozen vegetables!
Can substitute soy sauce with liquid coconut aminos.
Make vegan by removing egg and adding tofu or temph.
- Category: Lunch, Dinner, Meal Prep, One Pan
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: healthy fried rice, vegetable fried rice, gluten free, gluten free dinner, egg fried rice, healthy vegetable fried rice, best ever fried rice, 20 minute dinner, easy dinner, one pan dinner, one pan meal, healthy lunch, meal prep, sugar free, low fat
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!