Easy and super crispy tofu that can be air fried or oven baked. Made with just 6 simple ingredients and ready in 15 minutes, this tofu recipe is healthy, high in protein, and incredibly simple. Ideal for a quick dinner, lunch, meal prep, and salad addition.
The easiest crispy tofu recipe
Ok, hear me out here guys…. as a kid I never ate tofu. Not sure why to be honest with you because OH MY GOODNESS, it is just so delicious! I could eat this tofu recipe every single day if you asked me to.
Tofu is my new go to lunch and dinner protein! It is not only vegan and vegetarian but when cooked properly it is super crispy and insanely addictive. I never say no whenever my friends and family ask me to make this! Also, one of the best things about this easy tofu recipe is that you can air fry the tofu or even oven bake it. Both cooking methods will yield super crispy tofu with a soft and delicious inside.
My family and I are totally obsessed to say the least and I cannot wait to hear what you all think!
Is tofu healthy?
Tofu is a fantastic source of vegan and vegetarian protein! In fact, it has nearly 10 grams of protein per serving. Plus, tofu has all 9 essential amino acids and is packed with iron, calcium, manganesem and phosphorous. So yes, tofu is healthy and a great food to incorporate into your diet. I enjoy it one or two times a week!
Ingredients in super crispy tofu
This super quick and easy healthy tofu recipe calls for 6 simple, good-for-you ingredients. Crispy tofu makes for the best dinner and lunch. Easily add it to curries, stir-fries, or salads to boost protein. I even enjoy it plain because the seasoning is just that good!
- Extra-firm tofu: make sure you use extra-firm tofu; this allows the tofu cubes to get super crispy and not fall apart. But make sure to squeeze and press out the excess water before cubing it!
- Extra-virgin olive oil: just 1 Tablespoon of olive oil is needed to help crisp these tofu cubes up!
- Cornstarch or arrowroot starch: measure out 1 Tablespoon of arrowroot starch, cornstarch, or tapioca starch to give the tofu extra crunch on the outside.
- Seasonings: garlic powder, paprika, onion powder
- Salt and black pepper
How to cook tofu: air fried or oven baked
This easy crispy tofu recipe can be made in two ways: in the air fryer and in the oven! Here are step-by-step instructions on how to air fry tofu and how to oven bake tofu to crispy perfection!
First, remove tofu from the package and wrap the block in layered paper towels or a clean absorbate dish towel. Then, lie it on a flat surface and press tofu for at least 30 minutes. I place mine on a plate with 4 layers of folded paper towels on each side and leave a wood cutting board on top to press it down. Alternatively, you can also use a tofu press.
Next, preheat your oven to 425°F or air fryer to 400°F.
Then, cut the pressed tofu into bite-sized cubes (about 3/4 inches each). The block should yield about 40 cubes.
After that, add the cubes to a large bowl and gently toss them in olive oil. Then add in the arrowroot starch, garlic powder, paprika, salt, onion powder, and black pepper. Gently toss to combine.
How to oven baked crispy tofu:
Baking tofu will take about 30 minutes total. To cook tofu in the oven, evenly space out tofu cubes on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Do not allow them to overlap or touch. Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, flip each tofu bite over with tongs and place back into the oven for another 15 minutes.
How to air fry crispy tofu:
Air frying tofu will take about 15 minutes total. To air-fry tofu, evenly space out cubes in the preheated air fryer, try not to let them overlap. You may need to do two batches, depending on the size of your air fryer. Air fry at 400°F for 15 – 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
Tips for the best crispy tofu:
- Use EXTRA FIRM tofu. Make sure to use extra-firm tofu so that when you cut it into cubes and air fry or bake, it does not fall apart and best mushy. Stay away from silken tofu!
- Press & squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Do not skip out on the pressing step! If you do not get almost all of the liquid out, the tofu will not get crispy! Do this before you cut the tofu into cubes.
- Do not skip out on the olive oil. This recipe only calls for 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, but it is very important to make sure the tofu gets crispy and is coated in the spices!
- Evenly space tofu cubes out in the air fryer or baking sheet. Do not let your tofu cubes overlap on the baking sheet or in the air fryer! If they are not spaced out, they will NOT get crispy!
How to store and reheat tofu
Storage: Tofu is best fresh, but if you have leftovers, simply store extra crispy tofu in one large airtight container or individual airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheating: For the best results, reheat crispy tofu in the air frier at 350 degrees F for 3 – 5 minutes. You can also reheat tofu on stove top in pan for 2 – 4 minutes until warm and crisp again.
What to serve tofu with
Here are some of my favorite Healthful Blondie recipes to pair this healthy crispy tofu with…. just removed the other protein and swap out for crispy tofu!
- Mojito Lime Chicken Bowl
- Easy Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl
- Greek Chicken Meatballs With Homemade Tzatziki
- Sheet Pan Chicken With Crispy Balsamic Glazed Brussel Sprouts
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Super Crispy Tofu (Air Fried or Oven Baked)
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, 14 to 16 ounces
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Remove tofu from the package and wrap the block in layered paper towels or a clean absorbate dish towel. Lie on a flat surface and press tofu for at least 30 minutes. I place mine on a plate with 4 layers of folded paper towels on each side and leave a wood cutting board on top to press it down. Alternatively, you can also use a tofu press.
- Preheat oven to 425°F or air fryer to 400°F.
- Cut the tofu into bite-sized cubes (about 3/4 inches each). The block should yield about 40 cubes.
- Add cubes to a large bowl and gently toss them in olive oil.
- Add in the arrowroot starch, garlic powder, paprika, salt, onion powder, and black pepper. Gently toss to combine.
- Oven (30 minutes): Evenly space out tofu cubes on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Do not allow them to overlap or touch. Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, flip each tofu bite over with tongs and place back into the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Air fryer (15 minutes): Evenly space out cubes in the preheated air fryer, try not to let them overlap. You may need to do two batches, depending on the size of your air fryer. Air fry at 400°F for 15 - 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve in a salad, bowl, or with your favorite roasted veggie, and enjoy!
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply