Crispy roasted cauliflower tacos topped with the most delicious creamy and zesty cilantro yogurt crema. These vegetarian tacos are healthy, packed with protein, and can be customized to your preferences. The best Mexican inspired lunch or dinner that everyone will love!
The best vegetarian tacos
Tacos are one of my all-time favorite foods. They are the perfect finger good, easy to make, and always a crowd favorite. I love my Al Pastor Shrimp Tacos, but I felt it was time to share a vegetarian taco recipe!
This recipe satisfies my taco cravings while still providing a healthy and nutritious option. I love the taste of crispy roasted cauliflower, especially when paired with warm black beans, creamy cilantro yogurt crema, and fresh vegetables. Every single bite tastes like heaven!
I have to admit, these crispy cauliflower tacos are sure to be your new favorite recipe. They are light, tangy, and insanely flavorful. Plus, if you are trying to get more plant-based meals into your diet, this recipe is for you!
Why you’ll love roasted cauliflower tacos:
- High in protein
- Easy to make
- Crispy roasted cauliflower
- Healthy meal prep
- Healthy yogurt crema
- Gluten free
Ingredients in crispy cauliflower tacos
All of my recipes call for simple and healthy ingredients. And these cauliflower tacos are loaded with vegetables, packed with plant protein, and only use good-for-you ingredients. Here is a list of what you will need:
- Cauliflower: Start by cutting 1 large head of cauliflower into small to medium-sized florets. We will roast them to make them extra crispy for these vegetarian tacos.
- Avocado oil: Then, combine the cauliflower with 1 – 2 Tablespoons of avocado oil or olive oil to help crispen the florets up.
- Spices: add 2 + 1/2 teaspoons of cumin, 1 + 1/2 teaspoons of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, and 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder for the best Mexican flavors.
- Salt & Black pepper: Next, add in 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Beans: Then, grab 1 can of refried black beans, refried pinto beans, or whole black beans for extra plant-based protein.
- Tortillas: You will need 8 tortillas for serving. I recommend corn tortillas or whole wheat tortillas. But, flour, chickpea, or almond flour tortillas work too!
- For serving: Add lots of fresh veggies to your tacos for servings. I love halved cherry tomatoes, diced red onion, shredded red cabbage, avocado, and fresh cilantro.
Ingredients in cilantro lime yogurt crema
This taco recipe wouldn’t be complete without the tasty cilantro lime crema, made with greek yogurt. This crema is high in protein, creamy, and healthy!
- Greek yogurt: Firstly, add 1 cup of nonfat Greek yogurt or full-fat Greek yogurt to a bowl. This is the base of our healthy creamy crema.
- Garlic: Then, mince 1 garlic glove and add it to the yogurt crema for the best flavor.
- Lime: Next, grab 1 lime. You will need the zest of one lime for a tangy flavor and the juice from 1 lime.
- Cilantro: Then, add in 3 Tablespoons of freshly chopped up cilantro. This adds the best fresh flavor to this healthy Mexican crema.
- Spices: To make this yogurt crema extra flavorful, add in 1 + 1/2 teaspoons of chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin.
How to make roasted cauliflower tacos with cilantro yogurt crema
I love simple recipes that are easy to throw together. And these crispy roasted cauliflower tacos with cilantro lime crema are exactly that! Here is what you need to do to make cauliflower tacos:
To start, preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Then, in a large mixing bowl, combine your cut cauliflower florets, avocado oil, cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix the cauliflower with the spices and oil to fully coat the florets and then evenly space them out on the baking tray. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until the florets reach your desired crispiness.
Meanwhile, prepare your cilantro yogurt crema in a small mixing bowl by combining all the ingredients. Stir and let rest for at least 10 minutes while you finish preparing the tacos.
While the cauliflower is roasting, heat the refried beans on the stovetop or in the microwave according to the package directions. And warm your tortillas on the stovetop by adding them one by one to a low heated non-stick skillet or by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and microwaving for 20 – 40 seconds.
Finally, assemble your tacos by spreading warmed refried black beans on each taco, with roasted cauliflower, cilantro yogurt crema, and halved cherry tomatoes, diced red onion, red onion, avocado, or red cabbage. Enjoy your delicious crispy vegetarian tacos immediately!
I love these cauliflower tacos as is, but if you want to customize them to your preferences, be my guest! Here is a list of my recommended ingredient substitutions to help you out.
- Beans: You can use lentils or chickpeas here! Just prepare and cook according to the package instructions.
- Spices: You can substitute the spices in the tacos for a Mexican taco seasoning. Use 1 + 1/2 Tablespoons.
- Cauliflower Burrito Bowl: Instead of tacos, swap the tortillas out for a bed of romaine lettuce or spinach to make a burrito bowl!
- Make them Vegan: Instead of Greek yogurt, use a plant-based unflavored yogurt as a substitute.
Are cauliflower tacos healthy?
Yes! Crispy cauliflower tacos are absolutely healthy. They are gluten free, nut free, vegetarian, and super tasty!
First, the main ingredient in these tacos is cauliflower, a delicious and nutritious vegetable. Second, these tacos are loaded with other nourishing ingredients like black beans, cherry tomatoes, and fresh vegetable toppings.
Third, these vegetarian tacos are wrapped in either corn or whole wheat tortillas, making them free of refined flour and grains. Lastly, the black beans and yogurt crema are high in protein, making this a balanced meal.
Fequently Asked Questions
Is this recipe gluten free?
Yes! This recipe is absolutely gluten-free. Cauliflower tacos are made using corn tortillas making this recipe totally gluten-free.
What is the difference between roasted and steamed cauliflower?
Roasted cauliflower is prepared in the oven; it has a crispy exterior and is tender inside. Steamed cauliflower is prepared on the stovetop in a steaming basket; it is soft and tender with no crispiness. I highly recommend roasted cauliflower for this taco recipe.
How to store and reheat leftovers
If you have leftover ingredients for later, this recipe is straightforward to store and reheat.
Storing: Store roasted cauliflower in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for 4 – 6 days. Store any extra beans and toppings in separate containers in the fridge as well.
Reheating: Reheat cauliflower and beans in the microwave. Simply assemble your taco when you are ready to enjoy!
Check out more healthy Mexican dinner recipes!
Need some more healthier Mexican-inspired dinner recipes? Here are some of my favorite Healthful Blondie recipes to try out….
- Al Pastor Shrimp Tacos
- Southwestern Zucchini Boats With Ground Turkey
- 10 Minute Huevos Rancheros
- 30-Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Mojito Lime Chicken Bowl
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Cauliflower Tacos with Cilantro Yogurt Crema
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into small to medium-sized florets
- 1 - 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 + 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 can refried beans
- 8 corn or whole wheat tortillas
- For serving: halved cherry tomatoes, diced red onion, shredded red cabbage, avocado, and fresh cilantro
Cilantro Yogurt Crema:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Zest of 1/2 a lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, finely diced
- 1 + 1/2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Preheat your oven to 425°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cauliflower florets, avocado oil, cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix to fully coat and then evenly space out on the baking tray. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until they reach your desired crispiness.
- Meanwhile, prepare your cilantro yogurt crema in a small mixing bowl by combining all the ingredients. Stir and let rest for at least 10 minutes while you finish preparing the tacos.
- Heat the refried beans on the stovetop or in the microwave according to the package directions.
- Warm your tortillas on the stovetop by adding them one by one to a low heated non-stick skillet or by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and microwaving for 20 - 40 seconds.
- Assemble tacos by spreading warmed refried black beans on each taco, with roasted cauliflower, cilantro yogurt crema, and halved cherry tomatoes, diced red onion, red onion, avocado, or red cabbage.
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!