Super easy 10 minute huevos rancheros mexicanos that are healthy, authentic, and pack with flavor. This Mexican inspired breakfast and brunch recipe is made with toasted corn tortillas, refried black beans, and topped with an egg, fresh pico de gallo, avocado, and a sprinkle of feta cheese. The best homemade huevos a la ranchera!
Best ever huevos a la ranchera recipe
Huevos rancheros are the perfect nourishing meal. This traditional vegetarian Mexican breakfast is also known as “rancher’s-style” eggs or huevos a la ranchera. It typically features crispy corn tortillas, black beans, and fried eggs topped with warmed salsa. I absolutely love this hearty meal and grew up eating it at least once a week (it was my mom’s favorite)!
To put my own healthful spin on this classic brunch and breakfast dish, I added some simple yet flavorful ingredients and topped these open faced breakfast tacos with feta cheese. Has anyone else tried feta cheese with huevos rancheros? Because let me just tell you, it is probably the best combination ever.
Anyways, I cannot wait to hear what you think about this healthy breakfast recipe! You can prepare your eggs sunny side up, over easy, and even scramble them. It is by far one of my favorites since it’s light, packed with protein, balanced with healthy fats, and super filling.
Ingredients in huevos rancheros mexicanos
This deliciously light and fresh authentic huevos a la ranchera recipe calls for a handful of simple, good-for-you ingredients. This breakfast recipe has two easy parts: preparing and cooking the homemade pico de gallo and cooking the sunny side up eggs. To make this easy ranchero egg dish you’ll need:
homemade pico de gallo:
- Vine tomatoes
- Green onion
- Red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Habanero pepper
- Salt and black pepper
huevos rancheros ingredients:
- Refined black or pinto beans
- Corn tortillas
- Optional garnishes: crumbled feta or cotija cheese, sliced avocado, guacamole, and hot sauce
Best ingredient substitutions
If you find yourself missing an ingredient or two for these ranchero eggs and salsa, try these! I recommend substituting no more than 1-2 ingredients.
- Fried eggs: easily swap out for a soft boiled egg or omit if you are vegan.
- Refried black beans: I love refried black beans, but you can substitute them with refried pinto beans, whole black beans, kidney beans, or pinto beans.
- Homemade pico de gallo: short on time? Just use store-bought pico de gallo or salsa!
- Corn tortillas: swap corn tortillas with flour tortillas or your favorite grain-free alternative!
- Avocado: Just use guacamole instead!
How to make 10 minute huevos rancheros
This healthy Mexican breakfast recipe is so easy to make! We’ll start by preparing and cooking the fresh pico de gallo salsa, followed by finely dicing the tomatoes and veggies, and, finally, cooking the eggs and plate everything up! Here is how you make healthy huevos rancheros mexicanos:
Step 1: First, heat a large nonstick skillet to medium heat and add in all the pico de gallo ingredients. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 4 – 6 minutes, until liquid reduces. Once done, remove from the heat and set aside in a clean bowl.
Step 2: Meanwhile, heat up the refried beans in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or place in a microwave save bowl with a damp paper towel on top for 60 – 90 seconds, or until warm. Taste and add desired about of salt and pepper.
Step 3: Then, clean and place the large nonstick skillet back onto the stovetop on medium heat. Lightly coat with nonstick spray or add a dash of olive oil. Fry eggs to your desired doneness.
Step 4: Meanwhile, in a small dry skillet over medium heat, warm each tortilla until soft and edges begin to brown.
Step 5: To plate, add the tortillas to a plate. Top each tortilla with refried black beans and one fried egg. Evenly spoon the warmed salsa onto each egg, avoiding the egg yolk. Garnish with cilantro, feta cheese, avocado, and hot sauce if desired.
Enjoy this delicious vegetarian egg breakfast!
Fequently Asked Questions
Are huevos rancheros healthy?
Yes, huevos rancheros are most certainly a healthy, balanced, and nourishing meal. In fact, each serving has 16 grams of protein! The eggs are rich in omegas and vitamins. The corn tortillas are packed with fiber and will leave you full for hours. The fresh tomatoes are an incredible source of vitamins. You’ll not only love the flavor and taste of this Mexican breakfast recipe, but you’ll love that they are gluten free and vegetarian!
Huevos rancheros varitations
The sky is the limit with this delicious Mexican brunch! Add chorizo, steak, ground turkey, turkey bacon, or regular bacon to these huevos rancheros to up the protein.
Can I meal prep huevos rancheros?
Even though huevos rancheros mexicanos is typically a breakfast and brunch dish, I absolutely love enjoying it any time of day, especially as a meal prep lunch or dinner! To do this, simply prepare your pico de gallo and black beans per the directions. Then, store each component, including the toasted corn tortillas, in individual containers or separate sections of your Tupperware.
When you are ready to enjoy, heat everything up on the stovetop or in the microwave, top with feta or cotija cheese, avocado, and freshly cooked eggs. If you go into the office for lunch, you can soft-boil or scramble your eggs ahead of time too!
Is this recipe gluten free?
Yes! Just make sure you use corn tortillas rather than flour tortillas.
How to store leftovers?
Simply store leftover pico de gallo and black beans separately in individual airtight containers in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. Warm the tortilla and fry the egg just before serving.
How should I reheat huevos rancheros?
For the best results, reheat the pico de gallo and black beans on the stove top. If not, you can use a microwave and place a damp paper towel while heating.
Try these healthy Mexican recipe next!
Need some more healthier, easy, and simple breakfast, lunch, and dinner recipes? Here are some of my favorite Mexican inspired Healthful Blondie meals to try out….
- Mojito Lime Chicken Bowl
- Easy Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato Boats
- Healthy 30-Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Healthy Mexican Turkey Kale Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Blackened Salmon with Mango Salsa
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Easy 10 Minute Huevos Rancheros
Pico de gallo:
- 2 medium vine tomatoes, diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- ¼ cup green onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- ½ habanero pepper, finely diced (optional for spice)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 - 6 eggs
- 1 can 15 oz of refined black or pinto beans
- 4 - 6 small corn tortillas
- Optional garnishes: crumbled feta or cotija cheese, sliced avocado, guacamole, hot sauce.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium heat and add in all the pico de gallo ingredients. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 4 - 6 minutes, until liquid reduces. Once done, remove from the heat and set aside in a clean bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat up the refried beans in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or place in a microwave save bowl with a damp paper towel on top for 60 - 90 seconds, or until warm. Taste and add desired about of salt and pepper.
- Clean and place the large nonstick skillet back onto the stovetop on medium heat. Lightly coat with nonstick spray or add a dash of olive oil. Fry eggs to your desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, in a small dry skillet over medium heat, warm each tortilla until soft and edges begin to brown.
- To plate, add the tortillas to a plate. Top each tortilla with refried black beans and one fried egg. Evenly spoon the warmed salsa onto each egg, avoiding the egg yolk. Garnish with cilantro, feta cheese, avocado, and hot sauce if desired.
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!