The easiest 10-minute huevos rancheros recipe that is healthy, traditional, and gluten-free. This Mexican-inspired breakfast and brunch recipe is made with toasted corn tortillas, black beans, egg, fresh pico de gallo, avocado, and a sprinkle of feta cheese.
Best ever 10-minute huevos rancheros recipe
Huevos rancheros are the perfect nourishing meal. This traditional vegetarian Mexican breakfast is also known as “rancher’s-style” eggs or huevos a la ranchera. It typically features crispy corn tortillas, black beans, and fried eggs topped with warmed salsa. I absolutely love this hearty meal and grew up eating it at least once a week (it was my mom’s favorite)!
To put my own healthful spin on this classic brunch and breakfast dish, I added some simple yet flavorful ingredients and topped these open faced breakfast tacos with feta cheese. Has anyone else tried feta cheese with huevos rancheros? Because let me just tell you, it is probably the best combination ever.
Anyways, I cannot wait to hear what you think about this healthy breakfast recipe! You can prepare your eggs sunny side up, over easy, and even scramble them. It is by far one of my favorites since it’s light, packed with protein, balanced with healthy fats, and super filling.
Why you’ll love this gluten-free recipe:
- These huevos rancheros are 100% gluten-free.
- A traditional huevos rancheros recipe.
- Ready in under 10 minutes.
- High in protein with 23g per serving.
- Topped with a homemade, warmed pico de gallo.
- Perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner.
- Made with black beans.
- Healthy recipe.
- Try these air fryer egg bites or chicken fajitas next!
Ingredients needed & substitutions
This deliciously light and fresh traditional huevos rancheros recipe calls for a handful of simple, healthy ingredients. This breakfast recipe has two easy parts: preparing and cooking the homemade pico de gallo and cooking the sunny side-up eggs. Here is a list of what you need:
homemade pico de gallo:
- Vine Tomatoes: The base of our freshly made pico de gallo.
- Green Onion: For sharpness and my secret ingredient.
- Red Onion: This adds flavor and sharpness to the pico de Gallo. You can also use white onion.
- Fresh Cilantro: Fresh is best!
- Lime: For flavor and to add some tangy.
- Habanero Pepper: For spice – you can also use a jalapeno.
huevos rancheros ingredients:
- Eggs: You need 4 or 6 large eggs.
- Black Beans: I love refined black or pinto beans, but you can also use regular cooked black beans.
- Tortillas: I love using corn tortillas to keep these huevos rancheros gluten-free. You can also use almond flour, chickpea flour, whole wheat, or flour tortillas.
- Garnishes: Feel free to add crumbled feta or cotija cheese, sliced avocado, guacamole, and hot sauce.
Kitchen tools needed
Here is a list of kitchen utensils you will need to make this easy gluten-free huevos rancheros recipe. Clean-up is so easy.
- Large nonstick skillet
- Two small mixing bowls
- A fork
- Measuring Tools: 1/4 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, 1/3 cup, and 1/2 cup.
How to make healthy huevos rancheros in 10 minutes
This healthy Mexican breakfast recipe is so easy to make! We’ll start by preparing and cooking the fresh pico de gallo salsa, followed by finely dicing the tomatoes and veggies, and, finally, cooking the eggs and plating everything up! Here are step-by-step directions on how to make healthy huevos rancheros:
First, heat a large nonstick skillet to medium heat and add in all the pico de gallo ingredients. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 4 – 6 minutes, until the liquid reduces. Once done, remove from the heat and set aside in a clean bowl.
Meanwhile, heat up the refried beans in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or place in a microwave save bowl with a damp paper towel on top for 60 – 90 seconds, or until warm. Taste and add desired about of salt and pepper.
Then, clean and place the large nonstick skillet back onto the stovetop on medium heat. Lightly coat with nonstick spray or add a dash of olive oil. Fry eggs to your desired doneness.
Meanwhile, in a small dry skillet over medium heat, warm each tortilla until soft and edges begin to brown.
To plate, add the tortillas to a plate. Top each tortilla with refried black beans and one fried egg. Evenly spoon the warmed salsa onto each egg, avoiding the egg yolk. Garnish with cilantro, feta cheese, avocado, and hot sauce if desired.
Enjoy this delicious vegetarian egg breakfast!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use flour or almond flour tortillas?
Yes, to keep this recipe gluten-free use almond flour tortillas. However, any type of tortilla will work!
Are huevos rancheros healthy?
Yes, huevos rancheros are most certainly a healthy, balanced, and nourishing meal. In fact, each serving has 16 grams of protein! The eggs are rich in omegas and vitamins. The corn tortillas are packed with fiber and will leave you full for hours. The fresh tomatoes are an incredible source of vitamins. You’ll not only love the flavor and taste of this Mexican breakfast recipe, but you’ll love that they are gluten-free and vegetarian!
Can I add more protein?
Yes, you can add chorizo, steak, ground turkey, turkey bacon, or regular bacon to these huevos rancheros to up the protein.
Can I make them dairy free?
Yes, just leave off the feta cheese.
Can you meal prep huevos rancheros?
Even though huevos rancheros is typically a breakfast and brunch dish, I absolutely love enjoying it any time of day, especially as a meal prep lunch or dinner! Simply prepare your pico de gallo and black beans per the directions. Then, store each component, including the toasted corn tortillas, in individual containers or separate sections of your Tupperware.
When you are ready to enjoy, heat everything up on the stovetop or in the microwave, and top with feta or cotija cheese, avocado, and freshly cooked eggs. If you go into the office for lunch, you can soft-boil or scramble your eggs ahead of time too!
Are huevos rancheros gluten-free?
Yes! Just make sure you use corn tortillas rather than flour tortillas.
How to store and reheat leftovers:
Storing: Simply store leftover pico de gallo and black beans separately in individual airtight containers in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. Warm the tortilla and fry the egg just before serving.
Reheating: For the best results, reheat the pico de gallo and black beans on the stovetop. If not, you can use a microwave and place a damp paper towel while heating.
If you love this recipe, try these next!
- Air Fryer Frittata
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Chicken Fajitas
- Baja Shrimp Tacos
- Sweet Potato Crusted Feta Quiche
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and
Healthy Huevos Rancheros (Gluten-Free)
Pico de gallo:
- 2 medium vine tomatoes, diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- ¼ cup green onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 large lime, juiced
- ½ habanero pepper, finely diced (optional for spice)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 – 6 eggs
- 1 can 15 oz of refined black or pinto beans
- 4 – 6 small corn tortillas
- Optional garnishes: crumbled feta or cotija cheese, sliced avocado, guacamole, hot sauce.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium heat and add in all the pico de gallo ingredients. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 4 – 6 minutes, until liquid reduces. Once done, remove from the heat and set aside in a clean bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat up the refried beans in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or place in a microwave save bowl with a damp paper towel on top for 60 – 90 seconds, or until warm. Taste and add desired about of salt and pepper.
- Clean and place the large nonstick skillet back onto the stovetop on medium heat. Lightly coat with nonstick spray or add a dash of olive oil. Fry eggs to your desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, in a small dry skillet over medium heat, warm each tortilla until soft and edges begin to brown.
- To plate, add the tortillas to a plate. Top each tortilla with refried black beans and one fried egg. Evenly spoon the warmed salsa onto each egg, avoiding the egg yolk. Garnish with cilantro, feta cheese, avocado, and hot sauce if desired.
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!