Learn how to make the easiest and best air fryer frittata recipe. It’s healthy, high in protein, keto, and very customizable – add chicken sausage, turkey, broccoli, pepper, mushrooms, or any leftover vegetables. No heavy cream is needed!
The best crustless air fryer frittata
I am a self-proclaimed air fryer queen. I love my air fryer so much because you can cook anything! When it comes to breakfast foods, I love these air fryer egg bites, air fryer hashbrowns, air fryer baked oats, and these air fryer home fries. So… it’s only natural I add a frittata recipe!
This is the best air fryer frittata recipe for so many reasons! First, it’s healthy and keto-friendly. Second, it is super high in protein, with over 22 grams per serving. Third, it’s easy to make in under 30 minutes. Fourth, it’s meal-prep and freezer friendly.
As I am sure you can tell, I love this frittata recipe. It’s easy to make and full of fresh ingredients. Also, you don’t have to wait for your oven to preheat for 30 minutes since it’s cooked in an air fryer. This crustless quiche is a must-try!
This air fryer frittata is super customizable too. You can add turkey, sausage, chicken, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, zucchini, and so many other healthy ingredients. Kids and picky eaters will love it!
Why you’ll love this air fryer recipe:
- This frittata is flavorful and so easy to make.
- It’s cooked in an air fryer.
- Ready in under 30 minutes.
- High in protein with 22g per serving.
- A crustless quiche that’s healthy and keto.
- It’s gluten-free.
- No heavy cream!
- You can make it with just egg whites.
- Made with cottage cheese.
- Packed with lots of hidden vegetables.
- Perfect for breakfast and brunch.
- Great for meal prep.
- Try these air fryer egg bites or air fryer chicken sausages next!
Ingredients needed & substitutions
This is seriously the best-ever air fryer frittata recipe! You only need eight simple ingredients, plus salt & pepper. Here is a list of everything you need so you are prepared:
- Eggs: The base of this crustless air fryer frittata. You can also use liquid egg whites.
- Cottage Cheese: We use cottage cheese instead of heavy cream to moisten this frittata. It’s healthier, lower in fat, and higher in protein than cream. If you are dairy-free, you plant-based cottage cheese. You can also use ricotta cheese or plain Greek yogurt if necessary.
- Seasonings: You’ll need garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Onion: Grab a yellow or white onion for some sharpness and lots of flavor. You can also use red onion if needed.
- Broccoli: You just need the florets (the tops). You can’t taste the broccoli, so it is a great way to sneak vegetables into your diet. Feel free to substitute with zucchini, bell pepper, or mushrooms.
- Chicken Sausage: You can also use pork sausage, deli turkey, or ham. This adds flavor and extra protein.
- Spinach: You can’t taste it, I promise. The spinach adds lots of iron, vitamin C, and vitamin K.
- Cheese: You can use your favorite type of shredded cheese or feta. If you are dairy-free, use dairy-free shredded cheese.
Kitchen tools required
Here is a list of kitchen utensils you will need to make this easy air fryer frittata. Clean-up is so easy.
- Air Fryer
- High-Speed Blender
- 8×8’ pan or 8-inch pie pan
- Measuring Tools: 1/4 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, 1/3 cup, and 1/2 cup.
How to make an air fryer frittata
This air fryer frittata takes under 30 minutes to make! Any level cook can make it since it’s so easy to prepare. I love serving it for breakfast or brunch. Here are detailed step-by-step instructions with pictures for visual reference so anyone can make it. The full recipe and ingredient measurements are at the bottom of this page in the recipe card.
First, preheat your air fryer to 325°F.
Then, add the eggs, cottage cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a blender and blend on high for 20 – 30 seconds until smooth.
After that, grease an air fryer-safe 8×8′ pan or an 8-inch pie pan with non-stick spray or butter and add the onion, broccoli, sausage (or turkey), spinach, and cheese to the pan.
Next, pour the egg mixture on top. Then, use your finger or a spoon to mix and make sure the filling is evenly distributed. Then, cover the pan with foil – make sure it’s not touching the filling. This ensures the top is not overly browned as it air fries.
Air fry at 325°F for 15 minutes. Then, remove the foil and air fry for another 5 – 10 minutes until the top is golden and the eggs are set.
Allow your crustless air fryer frittata to rest for 5 minutes. Serve immediately & enjoy!
Expert tips for perfect air fryer frittata
- Cover the top with aluminum foil. This is my #1 tip for making the perfect air fryer frittata. Covering the pan with foil for the first 15 minutes of air frying ensures that the top of the frittata doesn’t burn or get overly browned. This step is not necessary, but if you skip it, your frittata will be dark golden.
- Blend the eggs and cottage cheese. This ensures the cottage cheese is completely emulsified into the egg mixture. If you use a hand whisk, small clumps of cottage cheese will be in your frittata.
- Grease your pan. This is so important! Make sure you grease your baking pan well, so the frittata doesn’t get stuck to the sides.
- Make it vegetarian. I added chicken sausage to mine for extra protein, but you can easily make this keto air fryer frittata vegetarian by leaving off the meat.
- Egg white frittata. Make this frittata lower in calories and higher in protein by substituting the 6 eggs with 14 – 16 egg whites or 1 + 1/4 cup of liquid egg whites.
Air fryer frittata variations:
- Egg White Frittata. Make this air fryer frittata with egg whites by substituting the 6 eggs with 14 – 16 egg whites or 1 + 1/4 cup of liquid egg whites.
- Turkey Frittata. Use cooked turkey or chopped-up sliced turkey (deli-style).
- Chicken Sausage Frittata. Add chopped-up cooked chicken sausage.
- Vegetarian Frittata. Remove the sausage and make this frittata vegetarian.
- Mushroom Frittata. Instead of the broccoli, add 2/3 cup of chopped-up white or baby bella mushrooms.
- Buffalo Chicken Frittata. Add 1/2 cup of shredded cooked chicken and 1/4 cup of buffalo sauce.
- Pepper & Onion Frittata. Instead of the broccoli, add 1/2 cup of chopped-up bell pepper – any color will work!
- Pizza Frittata. Instead of sausage, add 1/2 cup of chopped pepperoni. Instead of the broccoli, add 1/2 cup of sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Leftover Veggie. Instead of the broccoli and spinach, add 2/3 cup of leftover vegetables you have in your fridge. I love sauteed bell pepper, chicken fajitas, roasted cauliflower, and sautéed zucchini.
What to serve with a frittata:
Frittatas are perfect for breakfast and brunch! I love serving them with these homemade asiago bagels, almond milk biscuits, air fryer buttermilk biscuits, and healthy zucchini fritters.
If you want a sweet side, frittatas also pair well with these chunky monkey banana pancakes, healthy lemon pound cake, french toast, or this french toast casserole.
- Check out all my pancake recipes here!
- Check out all my breakfast recipes here!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it healthy?
Yes, this air fryer frittata is healthy. First, it is high in protein, with 22 grams of protein for two slices. Second, it is low-carb and keto since it’s crustless. Third, it is packed with hidden vegetables like broccoli, spinach, and onion. Lastly, it is gluten-free and sugar-free.
What’s the best substitute for cottage cheese?
You can use ricotta cheese or plain Greek yogurt instead of cottage cheese.
Is this air fryer frittata the same as a crustless quiche?
Yes, this air fryer frittata is the same as a crustless quiche since there is no crust.
Can I use egg whites only?
You can make this air fryer frittata with just egg whites if you want. To do this, substitute the 6 eggs with 14 – 16 egg whites or 1 + 1/4 cup of liquid egg whites.
What’s the difference between a frittata and a quiche?
Both frittatas and quiches are egg-based breakfasts. The main difference is that frittatas are crustless, and quiches have a pastry-based crust. Texture-wise, quiches are typically creamer since they call for heavy cream, while frittatas are lighter and airier.
Is broccoli keto?
Yes, broccoli is considered a keto-friendly vegetable because it’s high in fiber and low in net carbs. Broccoli has around 2 net carbs per 1 cup of broccoli florets.
Is this frittata keto?
Yes, this air fryer frittata is keto and low-carb since there is no crust.
Can I make the air fryer frittata dairy free?
To make this air fryer frittata dairy free, substitute the cottage cheese with dairy-free (plant-based) cottage cheese or ricotta and substitute the cheese with your favorite dairy-free alternative. I love almond milk shredded cheese.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Yes, this air fryer frittata is great for meal prep breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Simply let it cool to around room temperature, slice it, then transfer the slices to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or in the air fryer at 275°F for 5 – 10 minutes.
What’s the best temperature to air fry a frittata?
For best results, air fry a frittata at 325°F. If the temperature is too low, the eggs won’t be set, and the frittata will be loose. If the temperature is too high, the frittata will burn, and the eggs will overcook and get rubbery.
How long do I air fry a frittata at 325°F?
A frittata takes about 20 to 25 minutes to air fry at 325°F.
Can you freeze a frittata?
Yes, you can freeze a frittata. Let it cool to room temperature, remove the frittata from the pan, and cut it into slices or keep it whole. Transfer the pieces or whole frittata to an airtight (freezer-safe) container or bag and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to enjoy it, reheat by placing the frozen frittata on a baking sheet and reheat in the oven at 300°F for 15 – 20 minutes. You can also reheat a frozen frittata in the air fryer at 275°F for 15 – 20 minutes.
How to store & reheat:
Storing: For best results, store leftover air fryer frittata slices in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheating: Reheat in the air fryer at 275°F for 3 – 5 minutes or in the microwave for 1 – 2 minutes until warm again.
If you love this recipe, try these next!
- Air Fryer Egg Bites
- Sweet Potato Crusted Feta Quiche
- Keto Egg Bites (5 ways!)
- Air Fryer Chicken Sausages
- 10-Minute Huevos Rancheros
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Air Fryer Frittata
- 6 large eggs
- ⅓ cup cottage cheese, (low fat or 2%)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ small yellow or white onion, diced
- ⅔ cup broccoli florets, chopped
- ½ cup cooked chicken sausages, deli turkey, or ham, chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup shredded cheese or feta
- Preheat your air fryer to 325°F.
- Add the eggs, cottage cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a blender and blend on high for 20 – 30 seconds until smooth.
- Grease an air fryer-safe 8×8’ pan or an 8-inch pie pan with non-stick spray or butter.
- Add onion, broccoli, sausage (or turkey), spinach, and cheese to pan.
- Pour the egg mixture on top. Then, use your finger or a spoon to mix and make sure the filling is evenly distributed.
- Cover the pan with foil – make sure it’s not touching the filling. This ensures the top is not overly browned as it air fries.
- Air fry at 325°F for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and air fry for another 5 – 10 minutes until the top is golden and the eggs are set.
- Allow it to rest for 5 minutes. Serve immediately & enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply