This overnight brioche french toast casserole recipe with a buttery cinnamon streusel is the perfect easy and sweet breakfast. Prepare it the night before, bake it in the morning, and top it with fresh berries and powdered sugar. Everyone will love it!
The best overnight brioche french toast casserole
I love french toast! From these homemade french toast bagels to this protein french toast recipe. But I have to admit, this overnight french toast casserole is my favorite recipe. It’s made with soft and fluffy brioche bread is the perfect dish to serve at a Sunday brunch, party, or family breakfast. It takes under 10 minutes to prepare the night before, and then all you need to do is bake it in the morning!
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that we use coconut sugar and maple syrup to sweeten the french toast. That means there is no refined sugar in this recipe!
Each bite melts in your mouth. Once baked, the french toast is soft and warm on the inside, with a little crunch on top. Plus, we can’t forget the cinnamon streusel on top. It’s honestly the best part.
This recipe is the perfect sweet brunch or breakfast! Pair this with this crustless feta quiche or shakshuka, for a sweet and savory duo.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Easy to make
- Perfect breakfast, brunch, or dessert
- No refined sugar!
- Sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar
- Kids will love it!
- Prep it the night before and bake it in the morning
- Warm, buttery cinnamon streusel on top
- Try these french toast bagels or this high-protein french toast next!
The taste & texture:
This brioche french toast casserole is sweet, buttery, and tastes like classic french toast. The primary flavors come from the vanilla and cinnamon streusel topping.
Once baked, brioche french toast casserole is incredibly soft and fluffy inside with a crispy outside. The streusel topping is buttery and melts in your mouth. French toast casserole is not dry.
Ingredients needed & substitutions
This brioche french toast casserole calls for a handful of simple ingredients. You probably have everything in your pantry already! Here is a list of ingredients, so you have everything prepared:
French toast casserole:
- Brioche Bread: First up, grab 1 loaf (14 – 16oz) of brioche bread and cut it into 1-inch cubes. Once soaked overnight and baked, brioche is warm, soft, and delicious! You can also use Texas Toast or Challah.
- Oat Milk or Almond Milk: Add oat milk or almond milk. It makes this french toast casserole so rich. You can also you 2% or whole cow’s milk.
- Eggs: The eggs to help this casserole hold together. It also adds protein!
- Maple Syrup: Add maple syrup for a little dash of natural sweetness. You can also use honey.
- Vanilla Extract: 1 Tablespoon seems like a lot of vanilla extract, but I promise it adds the BEST flavor.
- Ground Cinnamon: Finally, cinnamon adds that warm, cozy, and delicious classic french toast taste.
- All-Purpose Flour: For the base of this cinnamon streusel. You can use gluten-free flour if needed.
- Coconut Sugar: The key to making the crumble and sweet streusel so delicious! You can also use light brown sugar.
- Ground Cinnamon: For all the good flavors.
- Butter: Next, you need cold, cubed butter to make this streusel melt in your mouth.
Kitchen tools required
You’ll need a few kitchen utensils to make this overnight brioche french toast casserole recipe – don’t worry, I bet you have all of them already!
- Cutting Board
- 9×13 or 9×11 Baking Dish
- Measuring Tools: 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon, 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make overnight brioche french toast casserole
This brioche french toast casserole comes together in two parts. We start by preparing and soaking the french toast overnight and baking it the following morning. Here are detailed step-by-step instructions with pictures for visual reference so any level baker can make them. The full recipe and ingredient measurements are in the recipe card’s bottom of this page.
First, lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray or butter. Then, add the cubed brioche to the greased baking dish.
Next, whisk together almond milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Pour the mixture over the bread and use your hands to ensure all bread pieces are saturated. Wrap the baking dish with tin foil and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight, if possible.
Once the casserole is ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Then, make the streusel topping by adding all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl. Use two knives or your hands to “cut” the cubed butter into the flour. It should be crumbly.
Once the oven is heated, remove the tin foil, evenly sprinkle the streusel on top of the casserole, and bake for 40 – 50 minutes until the top is golden brown. If browning too fast, add tin foil back on top during the last 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve with fresh berries. Enjoy!
Expert tips & tricks
- You MUST soak the french toast casserole in the fridge for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best!
- Don’t skimp out on the streusel topping. The butter melts as the french toast casserole bakes and makes it super soft and moist.
- Cut the brioche bread into 1-inch cubes, nothing smaller, or the casserole can get mushy.
- Feel free to use texas toast bread or challah if you don’t have brioche.
- If the casserole is browning too fast in the oven, add tin foil back on top during the last 15 minutes.
- It’s ok if the brioche french toast casserole deflates after you remove it from the oven. The moisture is releasing.
Topping ideas for sweet french toast casserole
Here are a few delicious ideas on how to top your homemade brioche french toast casserole:
- Fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries)
- Banana slices
- Maple syrup
- Powdered sugar
- Peanut butter or almond butter
- Whipped cream
- A dollop of yogurt
Easy ingredient substitution tips
This brioche french toast casserole is incredible as is, but here are ingredient substitution suggestions if you are missing an ingredient or two:
- Oat or Almond Milk: If you don’t have almond or oat milk, try 2% or whole cow’s milk!
- Brioche Bread: Use Texas Toast or Challah.
- Maple Syrup: You can use honey here.
- All-Purpose Flour: Try gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- Butter: Use vegan butter or refined coconut oil (solid) and chilled.
- Coconut Sugar: Use light brown sugar.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is brioche bread?
Brioche bread is a rich and soft bread that has a flaky crust and is very fluffy on the inside. It’s made with milk, butter, and eggs, which makes it much “richer” than typical bread. It is very similar to Challah bread and perfect for making french toast.
Can I use any bread?
I highly recommend brioche bread, but if you do not have it, you can use challah, Texas Toast, or French Bread.
Can I make french toast casserole the night before?
Yes! I recommend preparing the french toast casserole the night before and baking it in the morning. It has to soak for at least 4 hours anyways.
Can I make the streusel topping in advance?
Yes, you can certainly make the streusel topping in advance too. Keep it cold and store it in a plastic bag in the fridge until you can bake the french toast casserole.
Can I make it gluten-free and dairy-free?
Yes, to make it gluten-free, use gluten-free brioche bread. To make it dairy free, use room-temperature coconut oil instead of the butter.
Why is my french toast casserole soggy?
If your french toast casserole is soggy, one of two things happened: (1) it did not soak long enough, or (2) you used the wrong bread. Use soft bread like Brioche, Challah, or Texas Toast.
How to store and reheat leftovers:
Store leftovers by covering the original baking dish with aluminum foil or plastic wrap or in airtight containers. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 – 4 days.
For best results, reheat in the original baking dish at 350°F for 5 – 10 minutes until warm and crisp. For quick reheating, use a microwave.
If you loved this recipe, try these next!
- French Toast Bagels
- Healthier Cinnamon Rolls with Icing
- Vegan Monkey Bread
- Lemon Poppy Seed Crumb Cake
- Healthy Coffee Cake
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Brioche French Toast Casserole
French Toast Casserole:
- 1 loaf brioche bread, 14 – 16oz, cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 1 ⅔ cups oat milk or unsweetened almond milk, vanilla or plain
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour, spoon & leveled
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- Optional Topping: fresh berries, maple syrup and/or powdered sugar for topping
Prepare (Night Before):
- Lightly grease a 9×13" baking pan with nonstick spray or butter.
- Add cubed brioche to the greased baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Pour mixture over bread and use your hands to make sure all pieces of bread are saturated.
- Wrap the baking dish with tin foil and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight, if possible.
Bake (Day Of):
- Once ready, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the streusel topping by adding all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl. Use two knives or your hands to “cut” the cubed butter into the flour. It should be crumbly.
- Once the oven is heated, remove the tin foil, evenly sprinkle the streusel on top of the casserole, and bake for 40 – 50 minutes, until the top is golden brown. If browning too fast, add tin foil back on top during the last 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve with fresh berries. Enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply