Crispy and delicious gluten-free zucchini fritters that are made with simple and healthy ingredients like egg, homemade oat flour, and crumbled feta. These savory Greek-inspired zucchini pancakes are super easy and served with homemade tzatziki sauce. The ideal appetizer, brunch recipe, and side dish for lunch and dinner.
The best ever healthy fritter recipe
Zucchini fritters are so easy to make and will satisfy all your salty cravings. We only use simple ingredients in this zucchini recipe, including homemade oat flour, eggs, and some spices. Plus, you only need one bowl and a pan to make them. We are NOT deep frying anything in this recipe!
Honestly, Greek food always provides the most flavorful vegetable options. By adding creamy feta and oregano, these gluten free fritters taste incredible and are healthy. You will never be able to tell that they are gluten free…. trust me!
Crispy zucchini fritters, also called zucchini pancakes, are the perfect recipe for any time of the day. I love making them for brunch, lunch, or as a side to be shared at dinner. Everyone is bound to enjoy this fun way to eat zucchini, even your kids! Let’s not forget that this recipe is also gluten free, low calorie, and uses wholesome ingredients. Such an easy way to sneak in some veggies!
What makes these zucchini fritters healthy?
When people think of fritters, the assumption is deep-fried food. This recipe creates the perfect crispy fritter without deep frying. In addition, these fritters are made from good-for-you and simple ingredients. Zucchini is a wonderful seasonal vegetable; the feta cheese has healthy fats, the eggs add protein, and the homemade oat flour makes these gluten free fritters packed with fiber. Plus, when served with my healthy tzatziki sauce, these fritters are such a nourishing and filling meal.
Ingredients in healthy zucchini fritters
Zucchini fritters are so easy to make. In fact, these savory Greek zucchini pancakes rely on a blend of spices and simple ingredients for the best taste; there is no need for a big grocery trip! You’ll start with zucchini (of course) followed by 6 other easy ingredients! Here is what you will need for the best healthy fritters:
- Zucchini: First, we need 3 cups of grated and squeezed zucchini. This amounts to about 2 large zucchinis.
- Spices: Next up are the spices. For this we need, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano.
- Eggs: Now, add in 2 eggs to help the fritters hold their shape when cooked.
- Garlic cloves: Add in 2 minced garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon of pre-minced garlic to give these zucchini pancakes flavor.
- Homemade oat flour: To help bind these zucchini fritters together, we are using oat flour, which is made by blending up rolled oats in a blender and makes these gluten free fritters.
- Baking powder: 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder is needed to make these zucchini pancakes light.
- Feta cheese: For the best flavor, we are using 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese.
- Olive oil: Finally, we need 2 Tablespoons of olive oil or avocado oil to cook these fritters and make them crispy.
Kitchen tools needed
To make these feta zucchini fritters, you only need a few easy to find kitchen tools. I love simple recipes, and this is exactly that!
- Box Grater
- Large strainer
- Large mixing bowl
- Nonstick pan
- Measuring tools: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1/3 cup, and 1/2 cup and a non stick pan .
How to make healthy zucchini fritters
This recipe is so easy to make that it will be a go-to recipe for you! With just a few easy steps, you will have the best appetizer, lunch, or side dish. These zucchini pancakes are light, savory, and so delicious! Here is how to make crispy fritters:
First, start by grating your zucchini (using a box grater) and adding them to a large strainer or colander, and tossing the zucchini in salt. Let it sit for 10 minutes to extract all the moisture; then, use a clean dish towel or cheesecloth to squeeze out all the moisture.
Next, in a large bowl, combine squeezed zucchini, homemade oat flour, eggs, minced garlic, feta cheese, black pepper, oregano, and baking powder.
After that, heat a large nonstick pan with olive oil to medium-high heat. Scoop 2 tablespoons of your batter into the pan and use a spatula to flatten them out. You should have enough batter to make about 10 gluten free fritters.
Cook the fritters for about 2 minutes, until the bottom side is golden brown. Then, flip each healthy fritters and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes.
Serve immediately with some homemade tzatziki sauce, greek yogurt, or sour cream!
Zucchini pancake recipe tips
- Make sure you squeeze all the liquid out of the zucchini. In order to make sure the fritters will hold shape, the zucchini needs to be drained completely. Or esle, the pancakes will not rise.
- Do not over mix the batter. You want the texture of the batter to be thick enough to form the zucchini pancakes. Check out the batter picture above.
- Do not pat fritters down with a spatula when you flip them. The fritters should be thick and crispy. If you pat them down after flipping them, they might break and won’t rise.
- Don’t skip out on the olive oil. This helps get the fritters super crispy! Don’t worry we are only using 2 Tabplespoons.
What to serve with zucchini fritters
These healthy zucchini fritters pair well with so many dishes. Since they are Greek inspired, I love eating them with tzatziki sauce and some grilled chicken, shrimp, or salmon. You can even enjoy them with some sour cream, greek yogurt, and tahini. The options are endless! If you are looking for some vegetarian protein, savory zucchini pancakes also taste great with eggs.
How to keep fritters from getting soggy?
To make sure your fritters take shape and are crisp, make sure all the liquid is squeezed out of the zucchini. The best way to do this is to use a cloth after letting the salt remove excess moisture from the shredded zucchini. My second tip is not to skip out on the olive oil; it is what gets these zucchini pancakes extra crispy.
Can I use yellow squash instead of zucchini?
Yes! Use the same amount to make these healthy fritters. Yellow squash is an easy ingredient substitute if you are out of zucchini.
Can you bake zucchini fritters in the oven?
Yes! Using a pan will give these fritters more of a crispy outside, but baking them is always an option. Simply pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then shape 2 Tablespoons of batter into a pancake and evenly line the baking sheet with fritters. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes on each side, for a total of around 20 minutes.
Can I freeze cooked fritters?
Yes! You can freeze cooked zucchini fritters. Let them cool completely after cooking, then place them into a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow the healthy zucchini fritters to thaw on the countertop for 4 – 6 hours or in the fridge overnight when you are ready to consume
How do you store and reheat zucchini fritters?
If you have leftovers, they are so easy to store and reheat at a later time. Simply place extra fritters in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. When you are ready to enjoy, simply heat in the microwave or reheat on the stove. For the crispiest reheated fritter, I recommend using a pan on the stovetop.
Check these other healthy appetizer recipes out!
Need some more healthier, easy side dish recipes? Here are some of my favorite Healthful Blondie recipes to try out….
- Summer Corn & Arugula Salad
- Fluffy Almond Milk Biscuits
- Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Turkey Meatball Poppers
- Healthy Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Bites
- Air Fried Sweet Potato Steak Fries
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Healthy Zucchini Fritters (Gluten Free)
- 3 cup zucchini, ~2 large zucchinis, grated and squeezed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup homemade oat flour * see notes
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Grate the zucchinis and add to a large strainer or colander. Toss in salt and let it sit for 10 minutes to extract the moisture. Then, use a clean dish towel or cheesecloth to squeeze and dry the zucchini. Very important to remove excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, oat flour, eggs, garlic, crumbled feta, black pepper, and baking powder. Season with extra salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat olive oil to medium-high heat. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of batter into the pan and use a spatula to flatten. You should have about 8 to 10 fritters.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, until the bottom side is golden brown. Then, flip and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with some homemade tzatziki sauce and enjoy!
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!