Quick and easy 15 minute al pastor shrimp tacos loaded with healthy ingredients like fresh pineapple, refried black beans, tangy homemade carrot slaw, and served on toasted corn tortillas. This incredibly tasty and simple taco recipe is the perfect gluten-free weeknight meal!
Why you’ll love these healthy shrimp tacos
Tacos are my jam! Seriously, any type…. from chicken to beef to shrimp, hand me a taco and I am the happiest girl ever. That is why I am so excited to be sharing this super simple and fun taco recipe with y’all. It’s like al pastor pork or chicken but in shrimp form. How awesome is that?!
In addition to being healthy, these tacos are jam packed with flavor. The shrimp is marinated in a tangy lime and Mexican spice blend, the carrot slaw is zesty from the cilantro and lime, and the seared pineapple adds the perfect sweet note.
On top of all these amazing flavors, shrimp tacos are so easy to make. In fact, the shrimp only takes about 6 minutes to cook in total, meaning this simple dinner recipe will be ready in 15 minutes! So if you are crunched for time, this recipe is definitely for you! No need to sacrifice flavor for time.
Ingredients in al pastor shrimp tacos
This super light and fresh shrimp recipe calls for a handful of simple, good-for-you ingredients. This lunch and dinner recipe has three easy parts: marinating and cooking the shrimp, making the fresh carrot slaw, and warming the corn tortillas. To make al pastor shrimp tacos you’ll need:
pan seared al pastor shrimp:
- Raw shrimp: you can use frozen shrimp or purchase them fresh. If buying frozen, simply thaw the shrimp in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 6 hours or run under cold water for 30 minutes.
- Lime: you’ll be needing 2 limes total for this recipe.
- Garlic cloves: a dash of minced garlic goes a long way flavor-wise!
- Chili powder: the perfect amount of heat for these san-seared shrimp.
- Dried oregano: measure out 1 teaspoon of oregano.
- Cumin: add in 1 teaspoon of cumin.
- Salt & pepper
fresh carrot slaw:
- Shredded carrots: use pre-shredded carrots or grab your box grater to shred 1.5 cups of carrot.
- Cherry tomatoes: tomatoes are not only loaded with vitamin C, but they taste amazing and add the perfect about of freshness to these tacos!
- Red onion: you’ll need 1/2 cup of chopped red onion for this healthy mayo-less carrot slaw.
- Cilantro: grab a knife and chop up about 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro; feel free to use the stems as well!
- Lime: juice 1 lime for the slaw.
corn tortilla tacos:
- Olive oil or avocado oil: this recipe called for 1 -2 Tablespoons of olive oil to sear the shrimp to perfection. It’s essential for a slightly crispy shrimp!
- Fresh pineapple: cut up fresh pineapple or buy precut pineapple from your favorite supermarket. You’ll be needing 1 cup.
- Refried black beans: 1 cup of refried black beans is needed for this healthy dinner recipe, but feel free to swap out for refried kidney beans or regular black beans.
- Corn tortillas: I love corn tortillas, especially warm, but feel free to swap out for flour tortillas, or grain-free tortillas.
- Optional toppings: guacamole, sour cream, and shredded cheese
How to make healthy al pastor shrimp tacos
This easy shrimp taco recipe is not only perfect for Summer, but it is so easy to make! You can use frozen or fresh raw shrimp, plus this dinner recipe only takes 15 minutes total. To begin, we will start by marinating and pan-searing the shrimp, followed by throwing together the fresh carrot slaw and, finally, searing the pineapple and heating the beans!
First, gently pat shrimp dry with a paper towel and then add to a large mixing bowl with all the marinade ingredients. Mix to combine and set to the side for 5 – 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine all the carrot slaw ingredients. Mix and season with salt and pepper to taste and set to the side.
Next, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add in shrimp. Sear each side for 2 – 3 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan. Depending on the size of your pan, you might need to do two batches. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set it on a plate to rest.
Add in the pineapple and cook for 1 – 2 minutes to soften and slightly caramelize in the same pan. Meanwhile, heat the refried black beans in a small bowl in the microwave with a damp paper towel on top.
Finally, to prepare the corn tortillas: either heat a clean pan with cooking spray to medium heat and cook tortillas for 1 – 2 minutes on each side until browned OR wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave for 20 – 30 seconds.
Simply assemble tacos by spreading some refried black beans on each corn tortilla and topping with equal amounts of carrot slaw and shrimp. Add guacamole, sour cream, and cheese if desired, and enjoy!
Is shrimp healthy?
Shrimp is a fantastic source of lean protein! In fact, it has nearly 24 grams of protein per serving. Plus, shrimp is packed with Vitamin B12 and minerals. So yes, shrimp is healthy and a great food to incorporate into your diet!
Plus, these healthy al pastor shrimp tacos are loaded with vitamin A from the carrots, healthy fats from the avocado, fiber and protein from the black beans, and vitamin C and manganese from the pineapple!
How to grill shrimp in 6 minutes
This recipe calls for pan-searing shrimp, but if you prefer to grill, no worries! Here is step by step instructions on how to grill shrimp:
- Simply heat your grill to medium-high and lightly grease it, so the shrimp do not stick.
- Thread 5 – 6 marinated shrimps on a metal or soaked wooden skewer.
- Grill shrimp skewers for 2 -3 minutes on each side, until the shrimp are all cooked through and slightly crisp.
- Remove grilled shrimp from the skewers and serve on top of your tacos!
How to store and reheat shrimp tacos
Storage: Simply store leftover al pastor shrimp in one large airtight container or individual airtight containers in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. Store extra beans and pineapple and crunchy carrot slaw in a separate container to maximize freshness.
Reheating: For the best results, reheat the shrimp, tortillas, and beans in the microwave or on the stovetop. Keep the slaw cold when serving.
If you loved this healthy Mexican dinner recipe, check these out!
Need some more healthier, easy, and simple dinner, lunch, and meal prep recipes? Here are some of my favorite Healthful Blondie Mexican-inspired meals to try out….
- Easy Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato Boats
- Mojito Lime Chicken Bowl
- Blackened Salmon with Mango Salsa
- Healthy 30-Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Healthy Turkey Ranchero Lettuce Cups
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Easy Al Pastor Shrimp Tacos
- 1 pound raw shrimp, deveined and tails off
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 cup of fresh pineapple, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup refried black beans
- 8 small corn tortillas
- Optional toppings: guacamole, sour cream, and shredded cheese
- Gently pat shrimp dry with a paper towel and then add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add in all the marinade ingredients. Mix to combine and set to the side for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine all the carrot slaw ingredients. Mix and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. When oil is hot, add in shrimp. Sear each side for 2 – 3 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan. Depending on the size of your pan, you might need to do two batches. Remove shrimp from the pan and set it on a plate to rest.
- In the same pan, add in the pineapple and cook for 1 – 2 minutes to soften and slightly caramelized.
- Heat refried black beans in a small bowl in the microwave with a damp paper towel on top.
- To prepare the corn tortillas: either heat a clean pan with cooking spray to medium heat and cook tortillas for 1 – 2 minutes on each side until browned. OR wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave for 20 – 30 seconds.
- Assemble tacos by spreading some refried black beans on each corn tortilla and topping with equal amounts of carrot slaw and shrimp. Add guacamole, sour cream, and cheese if desired!
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!