Easy 20-minute healthy turkey ranchero lettuce cups that are gluten-free and grain-free. Made with simple and clean ingredients like fresh tomatoes, corn, and taco seasoning, these lean turkey tacos are tangy, juicy, and perfectly spice! Made in one-pan and ideal for a comforting dinner.
The Best Ever Healthy Turkey Ranchero Lettuce cups
Tacos are simply the best! I love enjoying them any night of the week. They are always satisfying, filling, and flavor-packed! Plus, if you live with a big family like me, they are super customizable so everyone will enjoy them. Check out my list of substitutions below if you are curious!
But let me stress, this is no ordinary turkey taco dinner. It’s NEXT LEVEL!
My healthy take on traditional turkey ranchero tacos and soon to be your new favorite dinner recipe for any time of the year! Each lettuce taco is light, deep with flavor, and incredibly juicy.
Also, let’s not forget that this dinner is ready in 20 minutes. So easy to make that anyone at any cooking level can make them. Yes, even your husband or kids! That is what I call a win in my book.
Think fresh lime, tangy taco seasoning, fresh tomatoes, and the perfect crunch from the lettuce taco shell. Served with fresh guacamole and salsa, this healthy taco recipe is quick, easy, made in one pan, and super nutritious! Perfect for family dinners, meal prep, athletes, and kids!
How I Made These Turkey Tacos healthier:
This flavorful and Mexican-spiced turkey recipe is clean, nutritious, and incredibly tasty! To make this easy dinner dish, you only need a few very simple ingredients, all of which are healthier alternatives to what you’ll find in store-bought brands or restaurant take-out. There are no added sugar or random ingredients in this recipe! Here are four ways that I made these healthy turkey ranchero lettuce cups more nutritious and health-friendly without taking away from the taste!
- I used fresh cherry tomatoes full of vitamin C and potassium.
- Used iceberg lettuce cups – making this dinner recipe gluten-free and grain-free! They are the perfect alternative for flour tortillas.
- Added fresh red bell peppers full of vitamin A and vitamin C.
- Used lean ground turkey which is rich in protein and low in fat!
Ingredients in Healthy Taco Lettuce Cups
You’ll only need a few, simple ingredients to get this easy recipe going! I am all about simplicity and ease, so don’t worry, you won’t need to go to the supermarket and buy a lot of expensive ingredients and spices. You probably have most of these ingredients in your pantry already. For this easy dinner recipe, you’ll need lean ground turkey, fresh tomato, cheese, corn, and of course, taco seasoning!
- Iceberg lettuce – Ideal and necessary for the perfect crunch you look for in a taco.
- Lean ground turkey
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Red bell pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Taco seasoning
- Salt & pepper
- Whole kernel sweet corn (12 or 15 oz)
- Fresh cilantro
- Shredded cheese – Cheddar or Mexican blend
- Toppings: guacamole, fresh salsa, fresh cilantro
Easy Ingredient Substitutions for healthy Turkey Lettuce Tacos
You guys probably know by now that I love simple and easy recipes! If you don’t love every ingredient in this one, I am here to help you out with a list of the very best substitutions!
Ground Turkey: Just use ground chicken instead or even ground pork if you want.
Yellow Onion: Simply use any type of onion. Red or white will work best.
Corn: Leave corn out or just swap out for black beans or pinto beans!
Iceberg lettuce: You can substitute with romaine lettuce. The cups will just be longer and more like taco boats.
Dairy-free? Just use dairy free cheese or vegan cheese!
Looking for other tasty dinner recipes? Check these out!
What You’ll Need to Make Easy 20-minute Turkey Ranchero Lettuce Cups
For this easy healthy dinner recipe, you’ll only need a couple of kitchen tools making the clean up super easy! Plus, this simple dinner is made in one pan. Absolutely ideal for busy people and big families.
- Chopping Knife
- Cutting Board
- One Large Deep Saute Pan
- Stirring Utensil
- Measuring cups: 1 teaspoon and 1/4 cup.
How to Make Easy Healthy Turkey Rancho Lettuce Cups
My favorite thing about this simple and easy Mexican dinner recipe (besides the taste of course) is how easy they are to make! This recipe is the absolute perfect healthy family dinner or healthy meal prep recipe; plus, these healthy turkey lettuce tacos are gluten-free, grain-free, paleo, and dairy-free!
First, let’s prepare the lettuce! Take a knife and slice the head of iceberg in half. Then, carefully separate into individual cups.
Once that is done, we are going to make the turkey ranchero filling! To start, in a large saute pan, heat olive oil to medium and add in finely diced yellow onion, bell pepper, and halved tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
After that, push the onion and peppers to the sides of the pan and add the lean ground turkey to the middle. Cook for another 3 – 4 minutes, breaking turkey up with stirring utensil as it cooks and mix in the onions and peppers.
Next, add in taco seasoning, salt, and pepper. Then, stir in the sweet corn and fresh cilantro. Cook for additional 2 minutes, taste and adjust seasonings. Now, turn off heat and mix in the shredded cheese.
Lastly, fill your lettuce cups with the turkey ranchero filling. I suggest, topping with some fresh cilantro, sprinkle of cheese and serving immediately with some salsa, sliced avocado, guacamole, and chips.
Enjoy your delicious and flavorful turkey taco lettuce cups!
How to Store Extra Healthy Turkey Lettuce tacos
Make extra healthy Mexican turkey lettuce cups? No worries, I love to save my extra filling in a sealed airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days. Simply prepare the taco cups when you are ready to enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Healthy Turkey Ranchero Lettuce Cups
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 15 - 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 can whole kernel sweet corn, 12 or 15 oz, drained
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup shredded cheese, cheddar or Mexican blend
- Toppings: guacamole, fresh salsa, fresh cilantro
- Slice the iceberg lettuce in half, and gently separate the leaves into cups. Set to the side.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil to medium. Add in finely diced yellow onion, bell pepper, and halved tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Push onion and peppers to the sides of the pan and add the lean ground turkey to the middle. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes. Break turkey up with stirring utensil as it cooks and mix in the onions and peppers.
- Add in taco seasoning, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Stir in sweet corn and fresh cilantro. Cook for additional 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Turn off heat and mix in the shredded cheese.
- Fill your lettuce cups with the turkey ranchero mix. Top with fresh cilantro, sprinkle of cheese and serve immediately with some salsa, sliced avocado, guacamole, or chips. Enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply