Juicy cilantro lime chicken burgers that are healthy, super nutritious, and packed with flavor. These ground chicken burgers are the perfect weeknight meal with options to grill or cook on the stovetop.
Easy grilled cilantro lime chili chicken burgers
Chicken burgers are the best! Especially these grilled cilantro lime chili ones that are juicy, flavorful, and easy to make in 15 minutes.
You have to try these delicious and juicy ground chicken burgers if you love burgers but are looking for a healthier option over beef. They are packed with authentic flavors and taste better than the Trader Joe’s chili lime chicken burgers – trust me!
Ground chicken sometimes gets the reputation for being dry – but don’t worry! This recipe makes super moist chicken burgers that you can cook on the grill outside or inside on the stovetop. Plus, you don’t need eggs or breadcrumbs!
Anyways, I’ll be enjoying these burgers all summer long. Personally, I love making them for cookouts and BBQs, but since they only take 15 minutes, they are perfect for weeknight dinners too. My friends and family LOVE this recipe!
Are they healthy?
These cilantro lime chicken burgers are certainly healthy. First, they are made with ground chicken, which is a leaner protein than beef. Second, they call for simple and nutritious 5 ingredients. Third, they are gluten free, dairy free, keto, and low carb. So yes, these grilled burgers are healthy.
Cilantro lime chicken burgers call for five ingredients, plus salt and pepper. They are juicy, moist, and packed with lots of flavors. Here is a list of ingredients so you have everything prepared:
- Ground Chicken: First up, grab 1 pound of ground chicken. I used 93% lean.
- Yellow Onion: Next, add in 1/4 cup of shredded yellow onion to make sure these burgers are super juicy without needing to add an egg.
- Cilantro: We use 1/4 cup of finely chopped fresh cilantro for that classic flavor.
- Lime: You’ll need one lime for this recipe. We use 1 Tablespoon of lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon of lime zest for the most authentic chili lime burger flavor.
- Garlic Powder: 1 teaspoon of garlic powder adds the best taste.
- Red Chili Flakes: Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of red chili flakes to make these chili lime chicken burgers. This is an optional ingredient for those who like spice.
- Salt & Black Pepper: For seasoning, of course.
Kitchen tools required
You’ll need a few kitchen utensils to make this healthy chicken burger recipe – don’t worry, I bet you have all of them already!
- Mixing Bowl
- Box Grater
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Tools: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon, and 1/4 cup.
How to make cilantro lime chicken burgers
These healthy chicken burgers take 15 minutes to make on the grill or on a pan on the stove. They are so delicious, easy to assemble, and everyone will love them. Here are detailed step-by-step instructions for any level cook:
First, In a large mixing bowl, add ground chicken. Then using a box grated, shred the yellow onion on top of the chicken.
After that, add in cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, garlic powder, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper.
Then, gently mix with hands and form 5 equal-sized patties.
How to cook on a stovetop:
Heat a non-stick skillet or grill pan to medium with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Add burgers to the heated skillet and cook for 6 – 7 minutes on the first side. Flip. Cook 6 – 7 minutes on the second side. Or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
How to grill:
Clean the grill and heat to medium-high, between 375 to 400°F. Make sure to grease your grill by using spray or dipping paper towels in oil and spreading across the grill. Place chicken burgers on the heated grill, cover with the lid and cook for 5 minutes until grill marks appear. Carefully flip the burgers on the grill for another 5 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Finally, assemble your burgers on a buttery toasted bun and top with guacamole, tomato, lettuce, red onion, or toppings of your choice!
What to serve with these healthy chicken burgers
The sky is the limit with what you can serve with these cilantro lime chili chicken burgers. Here are my favorite options:
Can I cook burgers on the stovetop?
You can cook burgers on the stovetop in a saute pan or on a grill pan. Simply heat a non-stick skillet or grill pan to medium with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Add burgers to the heated skillet and cook for 6 – 7 minutes on the first side. Flip. Cook 6 – 7 minutes on the second side. Or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are these burgers gluten free?
Yes, these chicken burgers are 100% gluten free since there are no breadcrumbs. Just make sure that you use gluten-free buns!
Are they low carb?
Cilantro lime chicken burgers are low carb, making them the perfect keto-friendly dinner option. Simply serve them on a salad or in a lettuce bun.
Do they keep?
These chicken burgers keep well in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. If you like to meal prep, this recipe is a great one to try!
Can you freeze cooked chicken burgers?
Yes, you can certainly freeze cooked and grilled chicken burgers. Simply let them cool to room temperature after cooking, then add them to a freezer-safe plastic bag, and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, place them in the fridge for a few hours to thaw, then reheat on the stovetop, in the oven at 350°F for 5 – 10 minutes, or in the microwave, wrapping in a damp paper towel.
How to store & reheat leftovers:
Storing: Let the burgers cool to room temperature after grilling, then add them to an airtight container, and store them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating: For best results, reheat grilled chicken burgers in the oven or toaster oven at 350°F for 5 – 10 minutes until warm. You can also reheat them on the stovetop or in the microwave, wrapping them in a damp paper towel.
If you love this recipe, try these next!
- Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Pineapple Teriyaki Turkey Burgers
- Greek Chicken Meatballs
- Zucchini Turkey Meatballs
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Cilantro Lime Chicken Burgers
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ¼ cup yellow onion, shredded or minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ – 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 batch guacamole
- tomatoes, red onion, lettuce, cheese
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground chicken. Then using a box grated shred the yellow onion on top of the chicken.
- Add in cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, garlic powder, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Gently mix with hands and form 5 equal-sized patties
- Stovetop: Heat a non-stick skillet to medium with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Add burgers to the heated skillet and cook for 6 – 7 minutes on the first side. Flip. Cook 6 – 7 minutes on the second side. Or until the internal temperature reached 165°F.
- Grilling: Clean the grill and heat to medium-high, between 375 to 400°F. Make sure to grease your grill by using spray or dipping paper towels in oil and spreading across the grill. Place chicken burgers on the heated grill, cover with the lid and cook for 5 minutes until grill marks appear. Carefully flip the burgers on the grill for another 5 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Assemble your burgers on a buttery toasted bun and top with guacamole, tomato, lettuce, red onion, or toppings of your choice.
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!