Easy homemade sourdough croutons from scratch that are crunchy, buttery, and insanely delicious in under 10 minutes. Choose your favorite bread, with the option of making these croutons gluten-free and vegan. Perfect for salads and soups!
The best 10 minute sourdough croutons
Homemade sourdough croutons are the easiest and most delicious way to step up your cooking game. They are 100 times better than any stale store-bought brand, are packed with natural flavor, and only take 10 minutes to make.
One of the best parts about this recipe is that you can use any kind of bread you want! So if you are gluten-free, use gluten free sourdough or gluten free bread. If you have leftover, stale bread, use that! I used sourdough because it is my favorite, but feel free to use your preferred brand and type.
This sourdough crouton recipe is not like traditional recipes. We use both butter and olive oil to flavor and make the croutons crispy. This is my secret trick to the best homemade sourdough croutons!
Anyways, I am sure you will love these croutons as much as me. They are crisp, buttery, crunchy, and slightly garlicky. I have been enjoying them in soups and salads – they are the perfect crunchy addition.
Why you’ll love this easy recipe:
- Homemade sourdough croutons are quick and easy to make in 10 minutes.
- They are buttery, crisp, and delicious.
- Easily make them gluten-free.
- Perfect for salads and soups.
- Option to make them dairy free and vegan.
- Made with four simple ingredients.
Homemade sourdough croutons are made with three ingredients, plus seasonings. Grab your favorite bread (fresh or stale), and let’s get cooking! You probably have all these ingredients in your pantry already. Here is a list of ingredients so you are prepared:
- Bread: First up, you’ll need 2 – 3 large slices of bread, which is about 3 cups when cubed. You can use gluten-free bread or regular bread – both work great!
- Butter: For the best taste ever, add 1 Tablespoon of melted vegan or regular butter. This helps crisp up the bread cubes and also adds the most delicious buttery flavor.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: We will also use 2 tablespoons of olive oil in combination with the butter to make these croutons crisp and crunchy! You can also use avocado oil here.
- Garlic Powder: Just 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder adds the most wonderful flavor to these homemade gluten free croutons!
- Salt & Black Pepper: For seasoning!
How to make homemade sourdough croutons
Baked in under 10 minutes, these homemade gluten free croutons are so easy to make! Each crouton is crunchy, buttery crisp, and coated in olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. They are easily made gluten free and vegan too! Here are detailed step-by-step instructions for any level cook:
First, preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Next, cut the sourdough bread into 1-inch bite-sized pieces. Add to a mixing bowl.
Then, combine melted butter, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Drizzle over the bread and toss to combine.
Finally, evenly arrange bread across the lined baking sheet and bake for 8 – 10 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Enjoy them top of a salad or in a soup!
How to make sourdough croutons gluten free:
Yes, these buttery and crisp homemade croutons are 100% gluten free by using gluten-free sourdough or your favorite gluten-free bread. The best part about this recipe is that it is super customizable with what bread you use!
Frequently Asked Questions
What to serve croutons with?
Can I double or tripple the recipe?
Yes, you can double or triple this recipe for larger dinners, parties, or BBQs! Just make sure the croutons don’t overlap on the baking sheet, or else the croutons will not get crispy. You may need to bake on two sheets or in two batches.
Do you need to use stale bread for croutons?
You don’t need to you stale bread for croutons. That is why this recipe is the best! You can use any bread, and you don’t have to wait until it is stale to make croutons. However, if your bread is leftover and stale, don’t throw it away! Use it to make these homemade gluten free croutons.
Can I use gluten free bread?
Yes, to make these sourdough croutons gluten free simply use your favorite gluten-free sourdough bread or favorite gluten-free bread.
Are croutons vegan?
Most homemade crouton recipes are vegan since they call for bread, olive oil, and seasonings. You can also adapt regular recipes to make them vegan by using vegan butter or substituting the butter for olive oil!
How to store leftover croutons:
Homemade croutons are best enjoyed within 1 – 2 hours of making them. They will become tough and hard over time, but you can keep extras in a sealed bag at room temperature for up to 2 days if needed.
If you loved this recipe, try these next!
- Salmon Caesar Salad
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Greek Spinach Salad
- Balsamic Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Easy Sourdough Croutons
- 2 – 3 large slices of sourdough bread, about 3 cups cubed, gluten-free or regular
- 1 Tbsp melted butter, vegan or regular
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the sourdough bread into 1-inch bite-sized pieces. Add to a mixing bowl.
- Combine melted butter, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Drizzle over the bread and toss to combine.
- Evenly arrange bread across the lined baking sheet and bake for 8 – 10 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Enjoy on top of a salad or in a soup!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!