Spice up your dinner menu with this delicious Thai peanut butter curry made with chicken, chickpeas, and coconut milk. This super nutritious, one-pan meal is packed with flavor and protein. Plus, it’s gluten free, dairy free, and can be made vegan!
Cozy Thai peanut chicken curry
Winter is here, which means I’ll be making tons of cozy and comforting dinner recipes. I simply love the feeling of enjoying a warm soup or curry when it is chilly outside. Anyone else?
Anyways, this Thai peanut butter curry is rich, creamy, and loaded with authentic flavors. It is light yet warms the soul; it’s hearty and rich, yet nutrient-rich. The peanut butter melts into the curry giving it the most delicious taste. Plus, it’s made with simple and fresh ingredients, making it a great healthy dinner recipe.
One of the best things about this peanut butter curry is that you can add chicken or make it vegan with extra chickpeas. Either way, it is the perfect easy, one pan meal that your whole family will enjoy!
Is it healthy?
The word “healthy” is relative to each person, but I consider this peanut butter curry to be healthy for many reasons. First, it is made with simple ingredients that nourish you. Second, it is high in protein from the chickpeas and chicken. Third, we add spinach for extra health benefits and vitamins (promise you can’t taste it). Fourth, we make it lighter by using a mixture of coconut milk and vegetable broth. It’s so delicious that no one will be able to tell it is healthy!
You’ll only need a handful of fresh and simple ingredients to get this chicken peanut butter curry recipe going! Here is an itemized list:
- Olive Oil: We’ll start with some olive oil to sear the chicken.
- Chicken Thigh: The perfect source of protein for this meal. Chicken thigh is so tender and flavorful.
- Yellow Onion: Grab 1 small yellow onion for the best flavor and sharpness.
- Garlic Cloves: Garlic makes everything better! When sauteed, it is aromatic and adds the best taste to this Thai peanut curry.
- Broccoli: The perfect fresh vegetable, adding vitamin C and lots of nutrients.
- Spices: Paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, ground ginger, salt, and black pepper
- Coconut Milk: Necessary to make this curry creamy and rich; it also makes it dairy free.
- Vegetable Broth: Key for the consistency and adds flavor to this peanut butter curry.
- Chickpeas: Next up, 1 can of chickpeas adds a nice texture and even more protein. If you are vegan you can swap out the chicken for more chickpeas!
- Tomato Paste: The tomatoes paste is necessary to thicken this curry up. It makes it extra creamy.
- Peanut Butter: The star. of the show! Grab your favorite all-natural smooth peanut butter.
- Lime: The perfect dash of acidity this rich one pan curry needs.
- Cilantro: Add in and garnish your peanut chicken curry with cilantro for a great authentic flavor.
- Spinach: You can’t taste the spinach, but it adds nutrients and health benefits.
Kitchen tools you’ll need
Since this recipe is made in one pan, you will only need a few kitchen tools and utensils to make this healthy dinner.
- Cutting Board
- Large deep 12-inch Skillet or Pot
- Stirring Utensil
- Measuring Tools: 1/4 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon, 1/3 cup and 1 cup.
How to make peanut butter curry
Peanut butter curry is incredibly easy to prepare. It comes together in one pan in under 30 minutes! Here are step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: First, prepare your skinless chicken thighs by trimming off excess fat or cartilage with your knife and cutting into bite-sized pieces.
Step 2: Then, add olive oil into a deep 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat on the stovetop. Then, add chicken and sear for 3 minutes. Then, use tongs to flip chicken pieces over and sear for another minute.
Step 3: Next, add in red onion, minced garlic, and broccoli florets. Saute for an additional 4 – 5 minutes until onions soften.
Step 4: After that, add in the paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, ginger, red chili flakes (optional), salt, and pepper. Stir for 30 seconds until fully combined.
Step 5: Finally, add in coconut milk, 2/3 cup vegetable broth, chickpeas, tomato paste, peanut butter, and lime juice. Simmer over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, then add in cilantro and baby spinach. Simmer for additional 5 minutes. For a more soup-like curry, add in another 1/3 cup vegetable broth. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
Garnish with cilantro and peanuts and serve over a bed of jasmine rice, brown rice, or quinoa. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make it vegan?
Yes, to make this peanut butter curry vegan, leave out the chicken and add an additional can of chickpeas. You will still get lots of protein!
Can I use chicken breast?
Yes, this recipe calls for chicken thigh; however, you can use chicken breast instead. Simply cut it into bite-sized pieces and follow the same cooking instructions.
Can I meal prep this peanut curry?
Yes, Thai peanut butter curry makes for the best meal prep recipe. Just save extras in individual containers and store them in the fridge until you are ready to enjoy!
How to store and reheat leftovers?
Store leftover curry in one large or individual airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, place in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 60 – 90 seconds until warm.
Try these dinner recipes next!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Peanut Butter Curry
- 1 - 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb skinless chicken thigh, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly diced
- 2 - 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fresh broccoli, cut into medium florets
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper, more to taste
- 1 can (15 oz) unsweetened coconut milk,, full fat or light
- ⅔ - 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 - 4 Tbsp creamy all-natural peanut butter
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely diced
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- Prepare your skinless chicken thighs by trimming off excess fat or cartilage with your knife and cutting into bite-sized pieces.
- Add olive oil into a deep 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat on the stovetop.
- Add chicken and sear for 3 minutes. Then, use tongs to flip chicken pieces over and sear for another minute.
- Add in red onion, minced garlic, and broccoli florets. Saute for an additional 4 - 5 minutes until onions soften.
- Add in the paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, ginger, red chili flakes (optional), salt, and pepper. Stir for 30 seconds until fully combined.
- Add in coconut milk, 2/3 cup vegetable broth, chickpeas, tomato paste, peanut butter, and lime juice. Simmer over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, then add in cilantro and baby spinach. Simmer for additional 5 minutes. For a more soup-like curry add in another 1/3 cup vegetable broth. Taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Garnish with cilantro and peanuts and serve over a bed of jasmine rice, brown rice, or quinoa. Enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!