Healthy Lofthouse sugar cookies that are soft, moist, and cake-like topped with a light glaze and pretty sprinkles. Made with only simple and clean ingredients, these easy sugar cookies are the perfect delicious healthy dessert. Ready in 15 minutes and made gluten-free, low-carb, and grain-free!
The Best Ever Healthy Lofthouse Sugar Cookies
I just love love love soft sugar cookies! I have to admit out of all the types of sugar cookies, my favorite is definitely a cake-like cookie. There is just something about a soft pillow sugar cookie that brings me back to my childhood. Plus, every bite just melts in your mouth.
Also, instead of making the classic buttercream frosting, I went for a lighter, sweet glaze on top – making this healthier soft sugar cookie recipe that much better!
In combination with the light glaze, each bite has the perfect about of sweetness. The texture is soft, almost cake. The taste is a light vanilla. Each bite is soft and tender. They are not overly-sweet.
These healthy Lofthouse sugar cookies are going to be your new favorite sugar cookie recipe! One that your family, friends, kids, and relatives will love. I have to admit they are just perfect for athletes and active people looking to stay fit but wanting to enjoy a light dessert! They make for the best healthy Valentine’s Day treat 🙂
How I Made These Soft Sugar Cookies Healthier:
Here are three ways that I made these gluten-free sugar cookies more nutritious and health-friendly without taking away from the taste!
- Used maple syrup instead of refined sugar. By using this type of healthier sweetener, I am removing all refined sugars, and sweetening naturally!
- I used greek yogurt for protein and healthy fats! Also to make these sugar cookies light and soft.
- Used almond flour to make these soft sugar cookies gluten-free and low-carb!
You’ll only need a few, simple ingredients to get this easy sugar cookie recipe going! I am all about simplicity and ease, so don’t worry, you won’t need to go to the supermarket and buy a lot of expensive ingredients and spices. You probably have most of these ingredients in your pantry already. For this easy low-carb sugar cookie recipe, you’ll need Greek yogurt, maple syrup, and of course, some powdered sugar!
- Greek Yogurt (I used 2%) – You can use plain or vanilla flavored. The greek yogurt makes for the perfect pillow sugar cookie and is essential for the soft and moist texture of a lofthouse sugar cookie.
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup – I naturally sweetened these sugar cookies with maple syrup!
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
- Frosting Glaze: powder sugar, almond milk, food coloring
- Topping: sprinkles of choice
Easy Ingredient Substitutions for grain-free lofthouse sugar cookies
You guys probably know by now that I love simple and easy recipes! If you don’t love every ingredient in this one, I am here to help you out with a list of the very best substitutions!
2 % Greek Yogurt: Simply substitute with 5% Greek yogurt. You can you a low fat, 0% as well – should work perfectly as well!
Coconut Flour: If you do not have coconut flour, you can substitute with more almond flour 1:3 ratio (meaning 1 Tbs of coconut flour for 3 Tbs of almond flour).
Almond Flour: You can use gluten-free flour here as well!
Looking for other tasty cookie recipes? Check these out!
What You’ll Need to Make Healthy Pillow Sugar Cookies
For this easy gluten-free cookie recipe, you’ll only need a couple of kitchen tools making the clean up super easy! You’ll need a mixing bowl to make these vegan sugar cookies and an oven to bake them.
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Mixing Bowl
- Stirring Utensil
- Measuring cups: 1 tsp, 1 Tbsp, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, 1 cup.
How to Make the Best Ever healthy Lofthouse sugar cookies with icing
My favorite thing about this simple and easy sugar cookie recipe (besides the taste of course) is how easy they are to make! This recipe is the absolute perfect healthy dessert; plus, these healthy sugar cookies are grain-free, gluten-free, and low-carb!
First, preheat your oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg. Then, add in the greek yogurt, vanilla extract, melted coconut oil, and maple syrup. Whisk until fully combined.
After that, add in the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda. I used a spatula here!
Once the cookie dough is ready, using your hands, form 18 – 22 balls (about 1.5 Tablespoons of dough) and evenly space them across the lined baking tray. You can make bigger cookies as well (just cook for additional 1 -2 minutes). Gently press down to form a cookie shape.
Bake and make your frosting. The cookies will be pale when you take them out of the oven – do not over-bake!
Once cookies are ready, let them rest for 15 – 20 minutes before icing and decorating.
I highly recommend storing them in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 -6 days!
How to Store Extra Healthy Pillow Sugar Cookies
Make extra grain-free soft sugar cookies? No worries, I love to save my extras in a sealed airtight container at room temperature for 4 to 5 days!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Healthy Lofthouse Sugar Cookies
- 1 egg
- ½ cup greek yogurt, vanilla or plain (used 2%)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup 100% maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar, optional for sweetener cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp almond milk
- Food coloring of choice
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg.
- Whisk in greek yogurt, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and maple syrup until fully smooth.
- Add in almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder. Mix with a spatula until fully combined.
- Form 18 – 22 balls (about 1.5 Tablespoons of dough) and evenly space them across the lined baking tray. Gently press down to form a cookie shape.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes. They will be pale in coloring!
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze frosting. Divide into smaller individual bowls if using multiple colors.
- Let cookies cool for 15 minutes before icing and add sprinkles.
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!