Healthy mini double chocolate chip banana muffins that taste like chocolate cupcakes and are full of feel good ingredients. Made with almond flour and naturally sweetened with maple syrup, these mini banana muffins are paleo, dairy free, gluten free, and grain free. A nutritious, kid-friendly breakfast, snack, or dessert!
The best mini chocolate banana muffins
Muffins are the best! And better yet, MINI MUFFINS ARE THE BEST! Does anyone remember Little Bites Mini Muffins? I used to love this snack growing up! I would beg my mom to buy them every time we went to the super market…. it was a battle lol.
These chocolate banana mini muffins are just like them, but way better and healthier! These healthy mini muffins are super moist, light, packed with feel good ingredients. You will not even be able to tell they are “healthy!” Seriously, they taste like mini chocolate cupcakes.
I adore eating three or four of these muffins as a quick afternoon snack. They are full of fiber, whole grains, vitamins, protein, and healthy fats which will keep you feeling satiated and full for hours. Plus, they only take 15 MINUTES to bake!
There are lots of yummy superfood ingredients packed in these banana muffins that are so good for your body! As a fitness lover, these muffins are the perfect pre-workout fuel and will keep you on track with your fitness goals! I’m warning you now… these chocoalte banana muffins are so addictive!
Are chocolate chip banana muffins healthy?
The term healthy is all relative. I consider these moist chocolate bananas muffins to be very healthy because you only need a few very simple good-for-you ingredients. These muffins are also dairy free, gluten free, and grain free with no added sugar. There are absolutely no preservatives, no refined sugars, and no random ingredients!
- No refined sugars! I used maple syrup to sweeten these muffins rather than sugar. Maple syrup is a natural sweetener, which means this muffin recipe is refined sugar-free.
- There are only 9 ingredients! I am all about easy recipes and for this one, you only need nine simple, clean and wholesome ingredients.
- I used almond flour making these muffins high in fiber with some healthy fats and protein. Also almond flour makes these muffins grain free and gluten free for my paleo friends.
These healthy double chocolate chip banana muffins are definitely dessert, snack, and breakfast worthy!
Ingredients in mini double chocolate chip banana muffins
Every single ingredient used to make paleo double chocolate banana muffins were hand selected to create the most delicious snack possible. You are going to love these wholesome, moist and chocolate mini muffins.
- Overripe bananas: make sure to use really ripe bananas that have lots of brown spots on them. This gives these little muffins lots of natural sweetness.
- Egg: the egg keeps these mini chocolate banana muffins super moist and fluffy. I haven’t tried it with flax eggs but let me know if you give it a shot.
- Maple syrup: the ideal natural sweetener! Maple syrup is like nature’s candy – no refined sugars in this recipe!
- Vanilla extract: the perfect little splash of flavor for these moist mini muffins.
- Coconut oil: A wonderful source of healthy fats that keep these little muffins moist and make them taste like a chocolate cupcake!
- Cocoa powder: makes these mini muffins double chocoalte heaven!
- Almond flour: we’re using fine, blanched almond flour in this recipe to keep it gluten free & grain free.
- Baking soda: helps these little muffins rise!
- Salt: for a little sweet & slaty contrast.
- Chocolate chips: use your favorite chocoalte chips – any will work! I absolutely love Lily’s Dark Chocoalte (No Suagr)!
All these clean ingredients make these muffins ideal for anytime of they day! Keep these muffins on hand for a quick, on-the-go breakfast or snack. Much better than buying super sugary and processed alternatives!
Tips for making moist muffins
I love fluffy & moist muffins! Here are my secret hacks to making the best, most fluffy, soft and moist banana muffins:
- Do not over mix the batter. To ensure your muffins are light and fluffy, gently fold your dry ingredients and wet ingredients with a spatula or wooden spoon. Overmixing your muffin batter is a big no no.
- Use overripe bananas. Using bananas with lots of brown spots is key for this recipe! It makes these muffins sweet, perfectly moist, and delicious. Trust me.
- Remember to line your muffin tin. This will ensure that your muffins don’t stick.
- Watch the clock & do not over bake your muffins. Bake your beautiful moist chocoalte banana muffins until a toothpick comes out clean. The best thing about these bad boys (besides the taste) is how amazing the texture is!
- Let your muffins cool before enjoy! By letting your muffins rest and cool down a little before serving, they. are able to set and ensure the perfect texture.
How to make paleo mini banana muffins
This healthy chocolate banana muffin recipe is so easy to make. You could probably make these with your eyes closed. I have the recipe memorized!
For this healthy snack and breakfast recipe, you’ll only need a couple of kitchen tools making the clean up super easy. You’ll just need a mixing bowl, box grater, and some measuring cups!
First, you’ll need to preheat the oven to 350F and line a mini muffin tin with liners.
Then, in a large bowl, mash the over-ripe bananas with a fork. Make sure there should be NO lumps.
Next, mix in the whisked egg, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Once combined, add in cocoa powder, almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Use a spatula to combine and fold in your chocolate chips.
Finally, evenly divide and scoop the batter into the mini muffin liners. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
Simply, bake for 12 – 15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean and enjoy!
How to store and meal prep muffins
Make extra healthy double chocolate chip banana mini muffins? No worries, I love to save my extras in a sealed airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for 1 week.
You can also freeze these mini muffins for up to 3 months. Simply thaw frozen muffins overnight in the refrigerator and warm in the microwave (if desired) before enjoying.
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
More healthy & easy muffin recipes:
Need some more tasty muffin recipes? Here are some of my favorite Healthful Blondie muffin recipes to try out….
Healthy Mini Double Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 3 medium bananas (brown and spotty), mashed
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup 100% maple syrup
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 1 ½ cups almond flour, packed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, mash the over-ripe bananas with a fork. Make sure there should be NO lumps.
- Mix in whisked egg, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and coconut oil.
- Add in cacao powder, almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Use a spatula to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide and scoop into mini muffin liners. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!