09 Mar Spiced Carrot Orange Muffins
Healthy spiced carrot orange muffins full of feel good ingredients. These morning muffins are naturally sweetened, dairy free, gluten free, and made with rolled oats. A nutritious, kid-friendly breakfast or snack! They are irresistibly delicious, super moist, perfectly spiced.
Best ever oat flour carrot muffins
Muffins are the best! Growing up, the smell of my mom’s freshly baked muffins made me the happiest kid. They are seriously the perfect healthy snack for anytime of the day.
These spiced carrot orange muffins are super moist, light, packed with veggies and fresh fruit, and incredibly delicious. You will not even be able to tell they are “healthy!” Seriously.
I adore eating one or two of these muffins are a quick breakfast or afternoon snack. They are full of fiber, whole grains, vitamins, protein, and healthy fats which will keep you feeling satiated and full for hours. Plus, they only take 18 MINUTES to bake!
There are lots of yummy superfood ingredients packed in these morning muffins that are so good for your body! As a fitness lover, these muffins are the perfect pre-workout fuel and will keep you on track with your fitness goals! I’m warning you now… these carrot muffins are so addictive!
What makes these carrot muffins healthy?
The term healthy is all relative. I consider these moist spiced carrot muffins to be very healthy because you only need a few very simple good-for-you ingredients. These muffins are dairy free, gluten free, with no added sugar. There are absolutely no preservatives, no refined sugars, and no random ingredients!
- Unlike standard carrot muffins which are made with refined all-purpose flour, these are made with oat flour! That means these orange carrot muffins are made entirely with whole grains, full of fiber, and are gluten-free!
- I used maple syrup to sweeten these muffins rather than sugar! Maple syrup is a natural sweetener, which means this muffin recipe is refined sugar-free.
- These muffins call for coconut oil which replaces butter. This gives you an extra dose of healthy fats and make these muffins dairy-free!
When you eat one of these delicious and moist breakfast muffins, you’re getting a hearty dose of vitamin A from the carrots, fiber, whole grains, and protein for the rolled oats, healthy fats from the coconut oil, and omega 3 from the walnuts.
These spiced carrot muffins are definitely dessert, snack, and breakfast worthy!
Ingredients in spiced carrot orange muffins
Every single ingredient used to make gluten free carrot muffins were hand selected to create the most delicious snack possible. You are going to love these wholesome, orange and veggie packed muffins.
- Carrots: hand grate or use the grating attachment on your food processor (easier) to grate three large carrots. I highly recommend not using store bought grated carrot.
- Rolled oats: we use certified gluten free oats to make these cookies totally gluten free.
- Egg: you’ll just need two eggs for this muffin recipe. You can also try using a flax egg but I have not tested it.
- Pure maple syrup: The ideal natural sweetener. There is no refined sugar in this muffin recipe!
- Coconut oil
- Orange: you’ll need the zest and some of the juice for this breakfast muffin recipe. The orange makes these muffins naturally sweet and smells absolutely incredible!
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Spices: Cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground nutmeg.
- Walnuts: I love chopped walnuts in these muffins! They add the perfect crunch factor to these muffins & add tons of omega-3. But, of course, feel free to omit or substitute pecans if you’d like.
All these clean ingredients make these muffins ideal for anytime of they day! Keep these muffins on hand for a quick, on-the-go breakfast or snack. Much better than buying super sugary and processed alternatives!
How to make your own oat flour
You can easily make your own gluten free oat flour for these moist carrot orange breakfast muffins. Simply place oats into a blender and blend or pulse until they’re smooth and feel like fine flour. For this muffin recipe, you’ll need 2 cups of rolled oats for this recipe which makes about 1 + 2/3 cups of oat flour.
Tips for making moist muffins
I love fluffy & moist muffins! Here are my secret hacks to making the best, most fluffy, soft and moist carrot muffins:
- Do not over mix the batter. To ensure your muffins are light and fluffy, gently fold your dry ingredients and wet ingredients with a spatula. Overmixing your muffin batter is a big no no.
- Don’t skip out on the coconut oil. Coconut oil is not only a wonderful source of healthy fats, it is KEY to keeping these orange muffins super moist!
- Remember to line your muffin tin. This will ensure that your muffins don’t stick.
- Watch the clock & do not over bake your muffins. Bake your beautiful moist morning muffins until a toothpick comes out clean. The best thing about these bad boys (besides the taste) is how amazing the texture is!
- Let your muffins cool before enjoy! By letting your muffins rest and cool down a little before serving, they. are able to set and ensure the perfect texture.
How to make healthy carrot orange morning muffins
This carrot orange muffin recipe is so easy to make. You could probably make these with your eyes closed. I have the recipe memorized!
For this healthy snack and breakfast recipe, you’ll only need a couple of kitchen tools making the clean up super easy. You’ll just need a mixing bowl, box grater, and some measuring cups!
First, you’ll need to preheat the oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with liners. Then, zest and juice your orange and set it to the side. After that, In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, maple syrup, orange juice, vanilla extract, and coconut oil.
Then, in a blender, add the rolled oats and blend until it turns into a fine flour – this should take about 20 seconds to 1 minute. Once your flour is ready, add it to the bowl with the grated carrots, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, salt, and walnuts. Then, use a spatula fold in orange zest, making sure not to overmix the batter or the muffins will be tough.
Finally, divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups, top with some walnuts if you want, and bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and golden brown.
Let cool completely and then enjoy your delicious, moist, hearty, and healthy spiced carrot orange muffins! The perfect meal prep snack and breakfast.
How to store muffins
Make extra carrot muffins? No worries, I love to save my extras in a sealed airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for 1 week.
You can also freeze these muffins for up to 3 months. Simply thaw frozen muffins overnight in the refrigerator and warm in the microwave (if desired) before enjoying.
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
More healthy & easy muffin recipes:Print
Healthy spiced carrot orange muffins that are full of feel-good ingredients. These morning muffins are naturally sweetened, dairy-free, gluten-free, and made with rolled oats. A nutritious, kid-friendly breakfast or snack!
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup orange juice, fresh
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups carrots (2 –3 large carrots), peeled and grated *
- 2 cups rolled oats, blended into flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Zest of one orange (1 Tbps)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with liners.
- Zest orange and set to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, maple syrup, orange juice, vanilla extract, and coconut oil
- In a blender, add rolled oats. Blend until the oats turn into a fine flour, about 20 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add homemade oat flour, grated carrots baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, salt, and walnuts to the large mixing bowl with wet ingredients.
- Use a spatula fold in orange zest, making sure not to overmix the batter or the muffins will be tough.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and golden brown.
- Let cool before enjoying!
If substituting making oat flour with store-bought oat flour: only use 1 + 2/3 cup of oat flour.
Can substitute maple syrup with another liquid sweetener.
CARROT GRATING TIPS: Grate carrots by hand with a box grater or use the grating attachment on your food processor (easier).
TO STORE: In an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, refrigerator for 7 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator and warm in microwave (if desired) before enjoying.
- Category: Breakfast, Snacks, Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot orange morning muffins, morning muffin, healthy muffins, carrot muffin, orange muffin, gluten free, gluten free muffin, dairy free, refined sugar free, low sugar, carrot, carrot walnut muffins, breakfast, healthy snack
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!