Easy dairy-free chocolate buttercream frosting is perfect for icing cakes and cupcakes! It’s rich, chocolaty, vegan, and made with only five ingredients!
Best dairy-free chocolate buttercream frosting
I am obsessed with this super-rich chocolate frosting! Honestly, it melts in your mouth, and it’s hard not to just lick the entire spatula clean.
Anyways, this recipe is 100 times better than store-bought frosting. It only takes 10 minutes to make and calls for five ingredients. Everyone will be able to tell it is homemade with love!
Also, I promise you will never be able to tell this chocolate frosting is both vegan and dairy free. It is just that delicious, rich, and decidant.
Why you’ll love this vegan recipe
- You can’t tell this rich chocolate frosting is vegan and dairy free.
- Only calls for five simple ingredients.
- It’s indulgent and sweet!
- Perfect for frosting 12 cupcakes or one 8-inch cake or 9-inch.
- You can easily double or triple the recipe.
You only need five ingredients for this dairy-free, vegan chocolate frosting. Here is a list, so you have everything prepared:
- Vegan Butter: Earth Balance vegan butter sticks are my favorite and best for baking. Make sure it is softened to room temperature. This ensures that the frosting is super creamy.
- Vanilla Extract: Just a dash for some flavor.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Use natural unsweetened cocoa powder or dutch process for the best flavor. This vegan and dairy-free buttercream is super chocolatey without any “real” chocolate.
- Powdered Sugar: Also called confectioners sugar. This sweetens up this indulgent dairy-free frosting.
- Almond Milk: You can also use oat milk (if you are nut-free) or cashew milk. This helps lighten up and thin out the frosting!
Kitchen tools required
You only need a few kitchen utensils to make this rich chocolate icing. Here is a list:
- Electric Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Tools: 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make dairy free chocolate frosting
This is one of the easiest recipes on my blog. It comes together in two steps in under 10 minutes. Any level baker can make it! Here are step-by-step directions:
First, in a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer or in a stand mixer, beat butter until creamy for about 1 – 2 minutes. Then, add in vanilla extract and beat until smooth for about 30 seconds. Feel free to look at the picture below for visual reference.
Then, sift in the cocoa powder, 1.5 cups of powdered sugar, and two tablespoons of almond milk. After that, mix on LOW speed until creamy for 1 – 2 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Feel free to look at the picture below for visual reference.
Also, if the buttercream is too thick, add 1 – 2 additional tablespoons of almond milk. If it is too thin, add up to a ½ cup extra powdered sugar, but start with ¼ cup.
This homemade dairy-free chocolate frosting is perfect for one 8-inch cake or 12 cupcakes.
Tips for the best vegan buttercream frosting
Use room temperature vegan butter. Using cold butter is a big no no when it comes to frosting – it hard to beat and will result in a chunky frosting. Make sure to use room temperature butter, so this dairy-free chocolate icing is super creamy!
Shift the cocoa powder and powdered sugar into the butter. Both cocoa powder and powdered sugar are notorious for having clumps in them. To ensure a super creamy frosting, use a sifter.
If your frosting is too thick, feel free to add in extra milk. Add between 1 – 3 extra tablespoons of milk to thin out your frosting. This makes it a dairy-free chocolate icing.
If your frosting is too thin, add extra powdered sugar. I recommend starting with 2 tablespoons and add more as needed.
How much frosting does this recipe make?
This recipe yields enough frosting for 12 cupcakes or one 8-inch or 9-inch cake. Feel free to double or triple the recipe if needed!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder?
I always recommend sifting the powdered sugar and cocoa powder into the frosting to ensure there are no lumps, but this is not necessary – this step is totally up to you!
Is this chocolate frosting recipe vegan?
This chocolate frosting is 100% vegan because there is no dairy in it. We use vegan butter sticks and plant milk.
What is the best cocoa powder to use?
Not all cocoa powders are equally good for baking. I always recommend using Ghirardelli’s unsweetened cocoa powder or Hersey’s unsweetened cocoa powder.
What’s the difference between frosting and icing?
As you can already tell, I used icing and frosting interchangeably in this recipe. In reality, icing is just a little thinner than frosting, but both are thicker than glaze. This can be achieved by adding 1 – 2 extra tablespoons of almond milk.
Can I substitute the almond milk?
Yes, you can easily substitute almond milk for oat milk, cashew milk, or your favorite plant-based milk. If you are nut-free, make sure to use oat milk.
Can I double the recipe?
Also, you can easily double or triple this recipe; just follow the instructions on the recipe card.
How to store leftovers:
For best results, store leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Let it come to room temperature before frosting your cake or cupcakes.
How to serve chocolate frosting
This dairy-free frosting is delicious over cakes and cupcakes. These are my favorites:
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Dairy Free Chocolate Frosting
- Sift in the cocoa powder, 1.5 cups of powdered sugar, and 2 tablespoons of almond milk. Mix on LOW speed until creamy for 1 – 2 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. If the buttercream is too thick add 1 – 2 additional tablespoons of almond milk. If it is too thin, add up to a ½ cup extra powdered sugar, but start with ¼ cup.
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!