Healthy Mixed Berry Orange Crisp
Healthy mixed berry orange crisp made with simple ingredients and topped with a delicious oat crumble. This easy and healthy dessert recipe is vegan, gluten free, and dairy free! This is a must-try dish that you’re guaranteed to love!
Best ever healthy mixed berry crisp
Berry crumbles and crisps have got to be my all time favorite dessert. First, they are so easy to make; like my 10-year-old brother could make this recipe. Second, they are always sweet & delicious. Third, they are super customizable. Fourth, they are perfect for SUMMER and warm weather!
I am so excited to share my fun and creative take on a classic mixed berry crisp. I added some orange to mix things up and seriously make this healthy dessert irresistible!
Also, one of the best parts about this dessert recipe is that it’s vegan and you can easily use any types of berries. This is such a great dessert to serve up at dinner parties, summer grill outs, and family dinner!
Is berry crisp healthy?
The term healthy is all relative. I consider this berry crumble dessert to be very healthy because you only need a few very simple good-for-you ingredients. There are absolutely no preservatives, no refined sugars, and no random ingredients in this wholesome recipe!
When you eat a bowl of this delicious crisp you’re getting a hearty dose of vitamin C from the orange, fiber, whole grains, and protein for the rolled oats, healthy fats from the coconut oil, antioxidants from the berries, and magnesium from the pecans.
The best ever dessert!
Ingredients in mixed berry orange crisp
This recipe has two parts: the berry filling and the crispy top layer. Every single ingredient used to make gluten free mixed berry oat crumble was hand selected to create the most delicious dessert possible. You are going to love this naturally sweet, orange, and fruit Summertime dessert!
For the filling:
- Coconut sugar
- Tapioca starch (Arrowroot powder or cornstarch)
- Ground cinnamon
For the crisp:
- Rolled oats, gluten-free or regular
- Almond flour
- Pecans or walnuts
- Ground cinnamon
- 100% pure maple syrup
- Coconut oil
All these clean ingredients make this berry crisp vegan, gluten free, and dairy free. The ideal and most delicious post dinner treat that is much better than buying super sugary and processed alternatives!
Tips for the perfect berry crumble
Here are a couple of quick how-tos that will help you bake the best berry crisp you’ve ever had!
- Make sure your topping is well-combined. Mixing the oat crumb topping with your hands is the best way to ensure that all your oats are covered. This creates the delicious, golden brown crisp topping!
- Don’t skip out on the coconut oil. Coconut oil is not only a wonderful source of healthy fats, it is KEY to making the oatmeal crumble on top super crispy and delicious!
- Make berry crisp ahead of time! Looking to save time and prep for serving guests? Simply prepare the recipe as directed (DO NOT BAKE), then cover it with foil, place it in the fridge, and bake as directed before you’re ready to serve.
How to make healthy mixed berry orange crisp
This orange berry crisp is so easy to make. A beginner cook could make it – I promise! You could probably make these with your eyes closed. I’ve made it so many times that I have the recipe memorized!
First, preheat your oven to 350 F and grease a large baking dish or 10-inch skillet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Then, zest your orange and set it to the side.
After that, in a large mixing bowl, toss the berries with 1/4 cup of orange juice, coconut sugar, tapioca starch, and cinnamon. Mix in orange zest and pour into your greased pan.
Now, in a separate bowl, mix together rolled oats, almond flour, pecans, cinnamon, and salt until well combined. Pour maple syrup and melted coconut oil on top and mix using your hands. It should be crumbly and sand-like.
Simply, sprinkle oat mixture evenly on top of the berries and bake for 45 – 50 minutes, until the top is golden, crisp and the berries are bubbly.
Enjoy the perfect Spring and Summer dessert!
Topping ideas for summer berry crisp
I love mixed berry crisp! It is seriously the best dessert. Here are some delicious ideas that I love to serve my crisp with:
- Vanilla ice cream: I love to eat ice cream with my berry crisp, especially when the crisp is warm and the ice cream melts into it! You can use any flavor of ice cream you want!
- Whipped cream: I mean this is a classic topping. All desserts taste better with a little whipped cream on top!
- Chocolate: I love the chocolate and fruit combination! Simply sprinkle your bowl with crushed chocolate, cocoa nibs, or chocolate chips.
- Honey: Drizzle some delicious honey on top of your berry crumble for an extra sweet note!
How to store leftover berry crisp
I recommend enjoying mixed berry crisp within 3 – 5 hours of removing from the oven for the best taste! However, you may have extras. You can store leftover berry crumble in the refrigerator, either in a sealed container or in the original baking dish with aluminum foil on top.
For best results, heat up whole pan in oven at 350F for 10 – 15 minutes or microwave individual leftovers in a small bowl.
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
More dessert to check out:
- Chewy Orange Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Flourless Double Chocolate Brownies
- Grain-Free Sweet Potato Peanut Butter Blondies
Healthy mixed berry orange crisp made with simple ingredients and topped with a delicious oat crumble. This easy and healthy dessert recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free. This is a must-try dish that you’re guaranteed to love!
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
- 2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 orange, juiced and zest
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats, gluten-free or regular
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a baking dish or 10-inch skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Zest your orange and set it to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the berries with 1/4 cup of orange juice, coconut sugar, tapioca starch, and cinnamon. Mix in orange zest and pour into greased pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix together rolled oats, almond flour, pecans, cinnamon, and salt until well combined. Pour maple syrup and melted coconut oil on top and mix using your hands. It should be crumbly and sand-like.
- Sprinkle oat mixture evenly on top of the berries.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, until the top is golden, crisp and the berries are bubbly.
Can substitute any berry 1:1 with another.
Can try to substitute with frozen berries.
TO STORE: In the refrigerator, in a sealed container, or in the original baking dish with aluminum foil on top.
TO REHEAT: Place original baking dish in oven at 350 F for 10 – 15 minutes or microwave individuals servings.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Healthy
Keywords: mixed berry orange crisp, mixed berry crisp, healthy berry crisp, healthy mixed berry crisp, gluten free, healthy dessert, summer cobbler, summer dessert, summer fruit dessert
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff / Healthful Blondie + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!