Healthy blueberry crumble bars made with simple ingredients and topped with a delicious crumbly oat crisp. These easy vegan, dairy free, and gluten free blueberry bars taste like blueberry pie and will be your new favorite snack and treat for spring and summer.
Best ever blueberry crumble bars
Berry crumbles and crisps have got to be my all time favorite dessert. And what better way to enjoy them than in a bar form!!
These healthier blueberry oatmeal bars are a delicious treat made with real food ingredients that I know you’ll love. They are easy to make and call for wholesome ingredients. These berry oat bars have the perfect cookie crust and crisp crumble topping that is made with almond flour, gluten free rolled oats, and a dash of maple syrup.
These blueberry bars are nothing short of delicious. Honestly, you could enjoy one of these irresistible blueberry pie bars any time of day. Since these bars get most of their sweetness from the sugars naturally found in the blueberries plus a little maple syrup, they are low in sugar! So catch me enjoying one in the morning for breakfast, as a snack, or as a healthy dessert.
The ideal healthier crumble recipe to serve up at dinner parties, summer grill outs, Fourth of July, and family dinners.
Are blueberry crumble bars healthy?
The term healthy is all relative. I consider these blueberry crumble bars to be very healthy because you only need a few very simple good-for-you ingredients. There are absolutely no preservatives, no refined sugars, and no random ingredients in this wholesome recipe!
When you eat one blueberry pie square you’re getting a hearty dose of vitamin C and Vitamin K from the blueberries, fiber, whole grains, and protein for the rolled oats, healthy fats from the coconut oil, and omega-3s and antioxidants from the walnuts.
The best ever healthy dessert!
Ingredients in healthy blueberry pie bars
This recipe has three parts: the crumble base, the juicy blueberry filling, and the crispy buttery oat crumble top. Every single ingredient used to make vegan blueberry oat bars was hand selected to create the most delicious dessert possible. You are going to love this naturally sweet, crumbly Summertime dessert!
For the blueberry pie filling:
- Blueberries (I used fresh, but frozen blueberries should work too!)
- Coconut sugar
- Tapioca starch (Arrowroot powder or cornstarch)
For the oat crumble and base:
- Rolled oats, gluten-free or regular
- Almond flour
- Pecans or walnuts
- Ground cinnamon
- 100% pure maple syrup
- Coconut oil
All these clean ingredients make these blueberry pie bars crisp vegan, gluten free, and dairy free. The ideal and most delicious post dinner treat that is much better than buying super sugary and processed alternatives!
Tips for the perfect blueberry crumble
Here are a couple of quick how-to’s that will help you bake the best berry crisp you’ve ever had! There is simply nothing better than a crisp and buttery crumble topping.
- Make sure your topping is well-combined. Mixing the oat crumb topping with your hands is the best way to ensure that all your oats are covered. This creates the delicious, golden brown crisp topping!
- Don’t skip out on the coconut oil. Coconut oil is not only a wonderful source of healthy fats, it is KEY to making the oatmeal crumble on top super crispy and delicious!
- Make sure to press the base layer down evenly. To ensure a crumbly base, make sure to press down on the base before adding the blueberry layer. You want it to be compact.
- Make blueberry pie bars ahead of time! Looking to save time and prep for serving guests? Simply prepare the recipe as directed, bake, and then cover it with foil. To heat up place in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes.
How to make oat flour in a blender
You can easily make your own gluten free oat flour for these tasty blueberry pie bars. Simply place oats into a blender and blend or pulse until they’re smooth and feel like fine flour. For this berry crumble bar recipe, you’ll need 1.5 cups of rolled oats to make 1 cup of oat flour.
How to make healthy blueberry crumble bars
This orange berry crisp is so easy to make. A beginner cook could make it – I promise! You could probably make these with your eyes closed. I’ve made it so many times that I have the recipe memorized!
First, preheat your oven to 350 F and grease an 8×8 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Then prepare the base by combining the crumbly base ingredients in a mixing bowl. If you are making your own oat flour with rolled oats, see instructions above. Once all the ingredients are combined, press the mixture in an even layer on the bottom of the lined pan. Set to the side.
Now, prepare the filling. In another mixing bowl, toss the blueberries with coconut sugar, tapioca starch, and lemon juice. Pour on top of the base and use a spoon to spread evenly.
Finally, prepare the oatmeal crumb topping. In a separate bowl, mix rolled oats, almond flour, walnuts or pecans, cinnamon, and salt until well combined. Pour maple syrup and melted coconut oil on top and mix using your hands. It should be crumbly and sand-like.
Now, sprinkle oat mixture evenly on top of the blueberries and bake for 35 – 45 minutes, until filling is bubbly and topping is golden.
Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely, and enjoy!
Topping ideas for Summer berry crumble bars
I love easy blueberry crumble bars! It is seriously the best dessert. Here are some delicious ideas that I love to serve my pie bars with:
- Vanilla ice cream: I love to eat ice cream with my blueberry pie bars, especially when the crumble is warm and the ice cream melts into it! You can use any flavor of ice cream you want!
- Whipped cream: I mean this is a classic topping. All desserts taste better with a little whipped cream on top!
- Chocolate: I love the chocolate and berry combination! Simply sprinkle your bowl with crushed chocolate, cocoa nibs, or chocolate chips.
- Honey: Drizzle some delicious honey on top of your blueberry crumble bars for an extra sweet note!
How to store leftover blueberry crumble bars
I recommend enjoying blueberry crumble bars within 3 – 5 hours of removing them from the oven for the best taste! However, you may have extras. You can store leftover bars in the refrigerator, either in a sealed container or in the original baking dish with aluminum foil on top.
For best results, heat up whole pan in oven at 350F for 10 – 15 minutes or microwave individual bar leftovers in a small bowl. I love to enjoy these bars cold as well!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
More dessert to check out:
- Healthy Mixed Berry Orange Crisp
- Chewy Orange Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Apple Pie Oatmeal Cookies with Maple Glaze
Healthy Blueberry Crumble Bars
- 1 cup of oat flour, see notes*
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 ½ cup fresh blueberries **
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp tapioca starch ***
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp almond flour
- ¼ cup pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and line an 8x8-inch baking tin with parchment paper.
- Prepare the base: In a mixing bowl, combine the base ingredients. If you are making your own oat flour with rolled oats, see instructions in NOTES. Once combined, press the mixture in an even layer on the bottom of the lined pan. Set to the side.
- Prepare the filling: In another mixing bowl, toss the blueberries with coconut sugar, tapioca starch, and lemon juice. Pour on top of the base and use a spoon to spread evenly.
- Prepare the topping: In a separate bowl, mix rolled oats, almond flour, pecans, cinnamon, and salt until well combined. Pour maple syrup and melted coconut oil on top and mix using your hands. It should be crumbly and sand-like.
- Sprinkle oat mixture evenly on top of the blueberries.
- Bake for 35 - 45 minutes, until filling is bubbly and topping is golden.
- Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely, and enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply