These super fudgy and rich double chocolate flourless brownies are made with almond butter, maple syrup, and apple sauce. The perfect healthy and gluten-free dessert. No flour is needed!
The best almond butter flourless brownies
Brownies are my favorite dessert! They are rich and chocolatey, and everyone always loves them. That’s why I have a lot of brownie recipes on my blog. In fact, this flourless brownie recipe was my FIRST and MOST POPULAR brownie recipe; I am just updating the pictures.
I love these oat flour brownies, or if I feel fancy, I make this extra gooey brownie skillet. But these flourless brownies are the perfect, no-hassle, super easy classic brownie recipe ready in under 30 minutes.
Flourless brownies are about to be your new favorite dessert! They taste better than boxed brownies and are still super fudgy, rich, and dense without adding flour to the batter. It’s impossible to tell if these brownies are gluten-free, dairy-free, refined-sugar-free, and healthy! All my “unhealthy” friends love them.
One of the best parts about these insanely fudgy flourless brownies is that they are made with simple and healthy ingredients like almond butter, apple sauce, maple syrup, and coconut sugar. They are sweet and chocolatey, without lots of white sugar and refined flour.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- No flour is needed for these brownies!
- They are super fudgy and dense.
- Best healthy brownie recipe.
- These brownies are gluten-free, dairy-free, & refined sugar-free.
- Extra decadent and chocolatey.
- They are sweetened naturally with maple syrup and a dash of coconut sugar.
- Ready in under 30 minutes.
- Customizable with lots of mix-in options.
- Any level baker can make these brownies.
- Try this super gooey flourless brownie skillet next!
Ingredients & substitutions
These fudgy flourless brownies call for very simple ingredients like almond butter, apple sauce, maple syrup, coconut sugar, and eggs. This recipe is healthy, refined-sugar-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free. Here is a list of everything you need so you are prepared:
- Eggs: First, you need eggs to help bind these brownies together.
- Almond Butter: This makes the brownies super fudgy and dense without adding butter or oil. Use creamy, unsalted almond butter. If you need, you can substitute the almond butter with peanut butter, sun butter, tahini, or cashew butter.
- Apple Sauce: You can use unsweetened or sweetened apple sauce. This is my secret ingredient to making these flourless brownies soft and moist without adding butter.
- Maple Syrup: I love baking with maple syrup because it naturally sweetens baked goods without adding refined sugar. You can also use agave syrup or honey.
- Coconut Sugar: This helps sweeten the brownies without adding refined sugar. You can also use brown sugar.
- Vanilla Extract: A dash of vanilla does a long way flavor-wise!
- Cocoa Powder: There is NO FLOUR in these brownies! Instead, we use 1/3 cup of cocoa powder. Make sure to use a high-quality brand like Ghirardelli. I would stay away from the Trader Joe’s brand and Hersey’s.
- Baking Soda: You only need a little to help these flourless brownies rise. Do not substitute baking soda with baking powder; they are not the same things.
- Chocolate Chips: This is optional, but I love adding extra chocolate chips to my brownies to make them double chocolate.
Kitchen tools required
Here is a list of kitchen utensils you will need to make these easy flourless brownies.
- 8×8″ Baking Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Tools: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, and 1/2 cup.
How to make flourless brownies
You don’t need flour to make these rich and fudgy double chocolate flourless brownies. Here are super detailed step-by-step instructions with pictures for visual reference so any level cook can make them. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in under 30 minutes. The full recipe and ingredient measurements are at the bottom of this page in the recipe card.
First, preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease and line an 8×8″ baking pan with parchment paper.
Then, mix the eggs, almond butter, apple sauce, maple syrup, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract in a medium mixing bowl.
After that, add the cocoa powder and baking soda. Mix until just combined, then hand-fold in the chocolate chips.
Then, pour the batter into greased baking pan and top with a handful of additional chocolate chips.
Finally, bake for 20 – 25 minutes, depending on how fudgy you want them. I usually do 22 minutes for a denser/gooier brownie. If you want more cakey brownies, bake them on the longer side.
Let your flourless brownies completely cool before slicing! Cutting them while they are still hot or warm will result in crumbly brownies.
Expert baking tips & tricks for flourless brownies
Use good quality cocoa powder. This is my #1 baking tip for brownies, especially these flourless ones. Make sure to use a high-quality cocoa powder like Ghirardelli for the best-tasting brownies. If you use a poor-quality brand like Trader Joe’s or Hersey’s, your brownies will lack the chocolate flavor and can be chalky.
Use room temperature ingredients. This is super important because if you use cold ingredients like apple sauce, eggs, and maple syrup, your brownies will take longer to cook.
Don’t over-whisk the brownie batter. All the little air bubbles will get knocked out of your brownie batter if you overbeat brownie batter. Mix the batter until it is just combined to avoid this problem.
Let your brownies cool before slicing. Make sure to let your brownies cool for at least 1 hour before cutting them into squares. If not, they will crumble and fall apart.
The taste & texture:
These flourless almond butter brownies taste like a classic rich, dense, and chocolaty brownie. The primary flavor comes from chocolate cocoa powder. You cannot taste the apple sauce or the almond butter.
Once baked, these flourless brownies are dense and fudgy. They are not dry or chewy.
Best brownie mix-ins and variations
Make these double chocolate flourless brownies your own by stirring in or topping them with your favorite mix-in. Here are some ideas:
- Peanut Butter: Add some peanut butter chips or substitute the almond butter for peanut butter.
- Walnuts or Almonds: Add a little crunch to these brownies by stirring in 3 – 4 tablespoons of chopped walnuts or almonds.
- Caramel Sea Salt: Add 2 – 3 tablespoons of caramel and sprinkle some flaky sea salt on top after baking.
- Oreo: Add 1/4 – 1/3 cup of crushed Oreos to the brownie batter and sprinkle some on top before baking.
- Banana Bread: Substitute the apple sauce for mashed banana 1:1 to make these flourless banana bread brownies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I substitute the almond butter?
Yes! You can substitute almond butter for peanut butter, cashew butter, tahini, or sun butter.
Are they nut free?
Since there is almond butter in these brownies, they are not naturally nut-free. Feel free to substitute the almond butter for sun butter or tahini if you have a nut allergy.
How do you tell if brownies are done baking?
I pull my brownies out of the oven when they still look slightly underdone. You can tell brownies are ready to come out of the oven when the top is crinkly and the edges have firmed up. Brownies will continue to cook as they cool, so pull them out before they have fully risen.
Are these brownies gluten-free?
Yes, these flourless brownies are 100% gluten-free since there is no flour in them.
Do they taste like almond butter?
No, these brownies do not taste like almond butter. They taste like a classic boxed brownie. The almond butter replaces butter or oil that is called for in classic recipes.
Are these flourless brownies dairy free?
These flourless brownies are 100% dairy-free. There is NO BUTTER!
Why are my brownies crumbling?
There are three possible reasons your brownies are crumbling: (1) you overbaked them, and they dried out, (2) you added too much baking leavening, or (3) you didn’t spoon and level to cocoa powder and added too much.
How long do I bake brownies at 350°F?
Brownies will take about 20 to 25 minutes to bake at 350°F.
How long do brownies take to cool?
Wait at least 1 hour for your brownies to cool to ensure you cut the perfect brownie square without it crumbling.
How to store, freeze & make ahead of time:
Storing: For best results, store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezing: You can freeze these brownies for up to 3 months. Simply let them cool for at least 1 hour, cut them into squares, and then wrap each piece in plastic wrap. Finally, add them to a freezer-safe bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
Make Ahead: You can make these flourless brownies up to 2 days in advance. Simply store it in the fridge and let it come to room temperature before serving.
If you love this recipe, try these next!
- Oat Flour Brownies
- Flourless Brownie Skillet
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes
- Almond Flour Chocolate Cake
- Healthy S’mores Brownies
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup creamy almond butter, (192g) unsalted
- ¼ cup apple sauce, unsweetened or sweetened (room temperature)
- ¼ cup maple syrup, room temperature
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder, (26g)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease and line an 8×8” baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, almond butter, apple sauce, maple syrup, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract together.
- Add the cocoa powder and baking soda. Mix until just combined, then hand-fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into greased baking pan and top with a handful of additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, depending on how fudgy you want them. I usually do 22 minutes for a denser/gooier brownie. If you want more cakey brownies, bake them on the longer side.
- Cool completely before slicing!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply