07 Apr Healthy Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
Healthy cinnamon swirl coffee cake topped with the most delicious cinnamon sugar crumble! Made with simple ingredients like apple sauce, almond flour, and coconut sugar, this easy healthier coffee cake recipe is the perfect breakfast, snack, and dessert. Made gluten free, paleo, low carb, and kid friendly!
Best ever healthier cinnamon coffee cake
Who else loves coffee cake?! I mean it is not only the perfect good for you dessert, but it is also ideal for a sweet breakfast, brunch, and snack. As a kid, I use to pick the crumble topping off when my mom wasn’t looking (hahah)!
That is why I am so happy to be sharing this coffee cake recipe with you. The texture is light, fluffy, and super moist. There is a beautiful and sweet cinnamon sugar swirl in the middle and an incredible crumble topping. It is not only made with simple and clean ingredients, but this coffee cake is also gluten free, grain free, paleo, and dairy free. It tastes like a classic melt in your mouth coffee cake, without butter!
Safe to say, this best cinnamon roll coffee cake is truly delightful and is going to be your new favorite healthy breakfast, dessert, and snack recipe!
Why you’ll love this paleo coffee cake recipe
Here are a couple reasons why you are going to love this healthier cinnamon coffee cake. It is going to be you new favorite snack, breakfast, and dessert recipe!
- Super easy to make
- No electric mixer required
- No refined sugar
- Gluten free and grain free
- Perfect for kids
- No dairy
- Super light and fluffy
- Melts in your mouth
How is this coffee cake healthier?
The term healthy is all relative. I consider this coffee cake recipe to be very healthy because you only need a few very simple good-for-you ingredients. There are absolutely no preservatives, no refined sugars, and no random ingredients in this wholesome snack recipe!
When you eat a slice of this layered cinnamon sugar cinnamon swirl cake, you’re getting a hearty dose of fiber and protein from the almond flour, healthy fats from the coconut oil, and antioxidants from the apple sauce.
This homemade coffee cake is so much better than buying super sugary and processed alternatives! They are sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar making this recipe refined sugar free.
Ingredients in healthy coffee cake
This recipe has three parts: the deliciously moist and fluffy cake, the sweet cinnamon sugar swirl layer, and the thick melt in your mouth crumble topping. Every single ingredient used to make this cinnamon sugar coffee cake is healthier versions of any store bought alternative. Below is a list of all of the ingredients you’ll need for healthy cinnamon swirl coffee cake!
- Eggs: you’ll need two eggs for this recipe to help this coffee cake stay together.
- Apple sauce: apple sauce is key this coffee cakes light and fluffy texture.
- Pure maple syrup: maple syrup is the best natural sweetener!
- Coconut sugar: you’ll need coconut sugar for this coffee cake which makes it refined sugar free.
- Vanilla extract: just a dash of vanilla extract goes a long way in flavor.
- Coconut oil: the perfect dairy free alternative to butter to make this coffee cake light and moist.
- Almond flour: For the flour portion, we’re going to use 2 cups of almond flour. It’s low carb and gluten free!
- Cinnamon: for a cozy cinnamon spice flavor.
- Baking soda: We are using 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Baking powder: 1 teaspoon of baking soda for this recipe.
Cinnamon sugar swirl:
- Coconut Sugar: The perfect refined suagr free sugar to make the cinnamon roll swirl in the middle of the cake.
- Cinnamon: Clearly, we are using some more cinnamon!
- Coconut oil: Needed for the sand-like cinnamon sugar crumble texture.
Cinnamon crumble topping:
- Almond flour: You are going to need 1/2 cup of almond flour for the cinnamon sugar streusel.
- Coconut sugar: Coconut sugar is the refined sugar free sweetener we are using for this crumble topping.
- Coconut oil: Necessary for the crumbly texture!
- Cinnamon: A dash of cinnamon for extra flavor!
All these clean ingredients make this cinnamon sugar coffee cake recipe gluten free, paleo, grain free, dairy free, and kid friendly. The ideal and most delicious healthy dessert, snack, or sweet breakfast.
Easy ingredient substitutions
Out of a few ingredients? Here’s are my recommendations for ingredient substitutions for this recipe:
- Unsweetened apple sauce: Simply use sweetened apple sauce or even cinnamon flavored apple sauce.
- Coconut sugar: Simply swap the coconut sugar for light brown sugar.
- Maple syrup: Easily swap out the maple syrup for some honey or agave syrup!
- Coconut oil: Simply use melted butter instead of coconut oil. You can also try using any cooking oil in place of coconut oil at a 1:1 ratio.
Kitchen tools used to make cinnamon swirl cake
Homemade coffee cake is made using simple kitchen utensils! Here’s a quick list of what you’ll need to make easy coffee cake:
- 8×8 Baking Tin
- Parchment paper
- One large mixing bowl
- One small mixing bowl
- Stirring utensil
- Microwave safe bowl
- Measuring cups: 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make healthy cinnamon swirl coffee cake
This healthy coffee cake recipe is super easy to make. All you’ll need to do is mix all the ingredients together and then bake the cake. I’m telling you, each layer of this cake melts in your mouth! This recipe makes 9 fluffy, buttery, and light pieces of coffee cake.
To start making your healthy coffee cake, preheat the oven to 350°F and grease and line 8×8 baking tin with parchment paper.
Now, pour half the batter into the greased baking tin. Save the rest for later!
After that, in a small bowl, combine all the cinnamon swirl layer ingredients. Evenly sprinkle the mixture across the batter in the pan and top with the remaining coffee cake batter.
In the same bowl, combine crumb topping ingredients. Mix until completely combined and evenly sprinkle on top of the batter.
Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool completely and enjoy!
How to store leftover coffee cake
I recommend enjoying healthy cinnamon coffee cake within 2 – 4 days. Store leftovers in an airtight sealed container at room temperature to prevent the cake from drying out.
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
More healthier dessert recipes to check out:
Craving more (healthier) sweet treats? Here are some tasty & fun dessert recipes from Healthful Blondie:Print
Healthy cinnamon swirl coffee cake topped with the most delicious cinnamon sugar crumble! This easy healthier coffee cake recipe is the perfect breakfast, snack, and dessert. Made gluten-free, paleo, low carb, and kid-friendly!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup apple sauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup 100% maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups almond flour, packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
Cinnamon Swirl Layer:
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond flour, packed
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2.5 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and line 8×8 baking tin with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Mix in apple sauce, maple syrup, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and melted coconut oil.
- Mix in almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Pour half the batter into the greased baking tin.
- In a small bowl, combine all the cinnamon swirl layer ingredients. Evenly sprinkle mixture across the batter in the pan. Top with the remaining cake batter.
- In a separate bowl, combine crumb topping ingredients. Mix until completely combined and evenly sprinkle on top of the batter.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and enjoy!
Can use unsweetened or sweetened apple sauce.
TO STORE: in an airtight sealed container at room temperature for 2 – 4 days to prevent the cake from drying out.
- Category: Breakfast, Snacks, Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Healthy
Keywords: healthy cinnamon swirl coffee cake, healthy coffee cake, paleo coffee cake, cinnamon roll coffee cake, cinnamon coffee cake, gluten free coffee cake, dairy free coffee cake
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!