The best gluten free key lime pie with a homemade buttery graham cracker crust and creamy tart and sweet filling. The perfect summer treat made healthier with Greek yogurt and cream cheese!
The best healthier key lime pie
Key lime pie is one of my all-time favorite desserts! It screams summertime and is one that everyone will rave about. I am typically not a “pie person,” but this is no ordinary pie.
This key lime pie has a buttery and crisp graham cracker crust and is filled with a smooth and creamy lime filling that is sweet and tart. It’s made gluten-free and healthier by adding Greek yogurt and cream cheese to the filling rather than extra condensed milk.
Grab some limes, and let’s get baking. Just serve it chilled with some whipped cream and lime slices. Everyone will love this easy key lime pie recipe.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Easy to make
- Smooth, chilled filling
- Perfect Summer dessert
- High in protein
- Easy to make a day in advance
- Use gluten free or regular graham crackers
This key lime pie calls for simple ingredients from Greek yogurt to egg yolks to cream cheese. Plus, it’s gluten-free, healthier, and high in protein. Here is a list of ingredients, so you have everything prepared:
Gluten-Free Graham Cracker Crust:
- Graham Crackers: First up, you’ll need about 12 – 14 whole crackers (which is 2 cups of crumbs) for the base of the crust.
- Sugar: Plus 1/4 cup of regular granulated sugar or coconut sugar for the perfect about of sweetness.
- Butter: And 6 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, which makes the graham cracker crust so delicious.
- Cream Cheese: This first ingredient in the key lime filling is 4 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature. Once whipped with an electric mixture, this secret ingredient makes the filling silky smooth, and creamy.
- Egg Yolks: Plus, three egg yolks for the perfect texture and to help the pie set.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: Most key lime pie recipes call for two cans of sweetened condensed milk, but we lighten this one up by only using 1 (14-ounce) can. There is no need to add any extra sugar to the filling!
- Greek Yogurt: Then, for extra protein and the smoothest texture, add ¾ cup of plain 0% Greek yogurt – this is my secret ingredient to making this key lime pie recipe healthy.
- Limes: Finally, grab around 5 – 7 limes. We need 2/3 cups of lime juice and 1 Tablespoon of lime zest for the most authentic key lime taste.
Kitchen tools required
You’ll need a few kitchen utensils to make this recipe – don’t worry, I bet you have all of them already!
- Electric Hand Held Mixture
- Pie Dish
- Measuring Tools: 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon, 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make gluten free key lime pie
Making gluten free key lime pie is easy! We start by making the graham crack crust; then we make the sweet-and-tart filling; and, finally, we bake and chill the pie. Here are detailed step-by-step instructions for any level baker:
First, preheat your oven to 350°F. Add graham crackers to a plastic back and pound with a rolling pin until they are crumbs. You can also use a food processor and pulse them until they are crumbs.
Then, in a large mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, salt, coconut sugar, and melted butter. Add mixture to a 9-inch pie dish and firmly press it down into an even layer across the bottom and sides of the dish. The crust should be at least ¼-inch thick. Tip: use the flat bottom of a measuring cup or glass to press the crust. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and then let cool for 20 – 30 minutes.
While the crust cools, add cream cheese to a large mixing bowl and beat with a handheld electric mixer until smooth. Then, add egg yolks, condensed milk, Greek yogurt, lime juice, and lime zest. On the lowest setting, mix again until smooth for 30 – 60 seconds.
After that, pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust and use a spatula to make the top smooth. Bake for 26 – 30 minutes, until the filling has a few bubbles and is just set – it should jiggle but should not be “wet.”
Finally, remove the key lime pie from the oven, let the pie cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then place it into the refrigerator to chill for at least 3 hours or overnight, if possible. Top the cooled pie with whipped cream, lime slices, and a little zest. Enjoy!
Can I use regular limes for key lime pie?
You can use regular limes or key limes for this key lime pie recipe. I use regular limes, and it tastes the same.
This key lime pie is incredibly delicious and easy to make. Here are a few home baking tips that will ensure the perfect pie:
- Do not overbake the filling. Make sure you pull the pie out of the oven when it has tiny bubbles on top, and there is still a slight wobble. It should be firm to the touch but still look a little “wet.” If you overbake it, it will not be as creamy and will be more spongy.
- Let the crust cool before adding the filling. It’s important to let the crust cool for about 10 minutes while you prepare the filling. This ensures that it sets and does not flash bake the filling when added.
- Let the pie set for at least 3 hours in the fridge (overnight is better). You MUST let the pie set in the fridge before serving – if not, it will be warm and too liquidy. It is best to make the key lime pie the day before and allow it to chill overnight.
Frequently Asked Questions
What graham crackers are best for the crust?
If you are strictly gluten free, make sure you buy gluten-free graham crackers. I like Annie’s Organic Honey Graham Crackers. If not, regular graham crackers work too!
Can I make it in advance?
Yes, it is best to make key lime pie the day before and allow it to set in the refrigerator overnight. You can make it up to 3 days in advance.
How do you know when key lime pie is done baking?
The filling should be firm to the touch but still a little jiggly with small bubbles on top. This recipe takes about 25 to 30 minutes to bake.
Can I freeze key lime pie?
Yes, you can freeze the entire key lime pie or individual slices. Just wrap in plastic wrap (must be airtight) and freeze for up to 1 month.
The filling is loose and didn’t set, what happened?
If your key lime pie filling is too loose and liquidy, then it did not set properly. The pie is either underbaked or needs to rest in the refrigerator for a longer time.
Can it be left out at room temperature?
Key lime pie can sit at room temperature for 2 hours. Make sure to put it back into the refrigerator after serving.
How to store key lime pie:
Store leftovers by covering the original baking dish with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 – 4 days. Alternatively, you can freeze it for up to 1 month – just wrap the pie in airtight plastic wrap.
If you loved this recipe, try these next!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Gluten Free Key Lime Pie
- 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs, gluten-free or regular, about 12 - 14 full crackers
- ¼ cup sugar, coconut or granulated
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup plain 0% Greek yogurt, I used Chobani
- ⅔ cup freshly squeezed lime juice, around 5 - 7 limes
- 1 Tbsp lime zest, about 2 limes
Make the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Add graham crackers to a plastic bag and pound with a rolling pin until they are crumbs. You can also use a food processor and pulse until they are crumbs.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, salt, coconut sugar, and melted butter. Add mixture to a 9-inch pie dish and firmly press it down into an even layer across the bottom and sides of the dish. The crust should be at least ¼-inch thick. Tip: use the flat bottom of a measuring cup or glass to press crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and then let cool for 20 - 30 minutes.
Make the Pie:
- While the crust cools, add cream cheese to a large mixing bowl and beat with a handheld electric mixer until smooth.
- Add egg yolks, condensed milk, Greek yogurt, lime juice, and lime zest. On the lowest setting, mix again until smooth for 30 - 60 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust and use a spatula to make the top smooth. Bake for 26 - 30 minutes, until the filling has a few bubbles and is just set - it should jiggle but should not be “wet.”
- Remove from oven, let the pie cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then place it into the refrigerator to chill for at least 3 hours or overnight, if possible.
- Top the cooled pie with whipped cream, lime slices, and a little zest. Enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!