This super rich and gooey flourless brownie skillet recipe is eggless, dairy free, and vegan. Made with melted chocolate, almond butter, and applesauce, this healthy brownie skillet is sure to be your new favorite dessert!
The best eggless brownie recipe
I am obsessed with brownies! My personal favorites are these s’mores brownies or these flourless double chocolate ones, but when I am in the mood for super gooey ones, I make this skillet brownie. It is so delicious and way better than cookies or cupcakes.
Since this brownie recipe is made with a combination of melted chocolate and cocoa powder is it extra rich and gooey. It is so good, that you will never be able to tell it is made with healthier ingredients like applesauce, almond butter, and coconut oil.
Trust me when I say this skillet brownie is sure to be a crowd favorite. My family and I finished the entire skillet in less than 10 minutes. It is that delicious.
Is the brownie skillet healthy?
The word “healthy” is relative to each person, but I consider this skillet brownie recipe to be healthy. First, it is vegan, dairy free, and egg free. Second, it is flourless and gluten free since there is no flour. Third, is full of healthy fats from the almond butter. Fourth, it is refined sugar free. This egg free brownie skillet is delicious and made with good for you ingredients!
Ingredients in flourless chocolate brownie skillet
I just love easy recipes that taste incredible and call for simple ingredients! Here is a list of what you will need to make the very best egg free brownies:
- Coconut oil: Instead of butter, we use refined coconut oil.; that is what makes this brownie skillet is vegan and dairy free.
- Chocolate chips or bar: To make this skillet brownie extra gooey and chocolaty we use melted dark chocolate and cocoa powder.
- Coconut sugar: This adds to the perfect amount of sweetness while still being free of refined sugar.
- Almond butter: Since we are not using eggs, 1/3 cup of all natural creamy almond butter helps bind this brownie skillet together.
- Vanilla extract: A dash of vanilla goes a long ways flavor wise.
- Applesauce: 1/2 cup of applesauce helps bind these eggless brownies together and gives them the best texture.
- Cocoa powder: For some extra chocolate flavor, add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder. This replaces flour.
- Baking soda: Baking soda and baking powder are not the same things. Use 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to help this vegan brownie skillet rise.
- Salt: Just a dash of salt to bring out all the best flavors.
Kitchen tools used
One of the best things about his vegan dessert is that you only need a handful of kitchen tools to make them. Clean up will be super easy!
How to make this eggless brownie skillet
This healthy brownie skillet is incredibly easy to make and is super tasty. It is gooey, super fudgy, and, best of all, flourless and egg free! Here are step by step instructions:
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°F. Then lightly grease an 8’’ or 9’’ cast iron skillet.
Step 2: Then, in a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the coconut oil and dark chocolate in 15 – 20 second increments. Stir in between each interval until chocolate is fully melted. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
Step 3: Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Step 4: Once the chocolate is cooled, whisk in coconut sugar and almond butter. Then, add in the applesauce and vanilla extract.
Step 5: Pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Use a spatula or spoon to gently combine. The batter will be thick and fudgy; do not overmix.
Step 6: Finally, transfer batter to the greased skillet and top with additional chocolate chips if desired. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until crust is on top and the center is gooey.
Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy your super gooey egg free brownie skillet!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it gluten free?
Yes! This is a flourless brownie recipe, meaning that there is no flour and no gluten.
What type of chocolate should I use?
You can use any type of chocolate bar or chocolate chips you like. If you are vegan, remember to use a dairy free brand. I recommend these chocolate chips.
Is it dairy free?
Yup! These are dairy free brownies because we use coconut oil instead of butter and dairy free chocolate.
Can I bake them in a 8×8″ tray?
Yes! If you do not have a skillet, you can bake these eggless brownies in an 8×8 inch baking tray for the same amount of time. Just remember to grease it!
How do I store leftovers?
I doubt you will have leftovers because this recipe is so delicious, but if you do just cover the skillet with aluminum foil and store it at room temperature for 1 – 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More healthy dessert recipes to try!
- Healthier Gooey Cookie Skillet
- Pumpkin Spice Chickpea Blondies
- Salted Cowboy Cookies
- Flourless Double Chocolate Brownies
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Eggless Brownie Skillet Recipe
- ¼ cup coconut oil, refined for no coconut taste
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips or bar, chopped
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup natural creamy almond butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- ½ cup cocoa powder, spooned and leveled
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease an 8’’ or 9’’ cast iron skillet.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the coconut oil and dark chocolate in 15 - 20 second increments. Stir in between each interval until chocolate is fully melted. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Once the chocolate is cooled, whisk in coconut sugar and almond butter.
- Add in the applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Use a spatula or spoon to gently combine. The batter will be thick and fudgy; do not overmix.
- Transfer batter to greased skillet and top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until crust is on top and the center is gooey.
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!