Healthy, gluten free baked donuts topped with a simple chocolate glaze and sprinkles! These chocolate frosted vanilla donuts are made with simple and healthy ingredients like almond flour, maple syrup, greek yogurt, and dark chocolate.
Best gluten free donuts
If you’re looking for a healthy donuts recipe then you have got to try these!! These light and fluffy donuts are baked until golden brown, perfectly sweet, and topped with the best ever healthy thick chocolate glaze made from real chocolate.
Forget about lots of refined sugar and oil, these baked donuts are going to be your new favorite dessert, snack, and healthy sweet breakfast recipe. You cannot tell they are gluten free (I promise). Seriously, everyone will thank you for baking these bad boys.
I’ve been told that I am giving Dunkin Donuts a run for their money. I can’t wait to hear what y’all think!
Why you’ll love thhis recipe
Here are a couple of reasons why you are going to love these gluten free baked donuts. They are going to be your new favorite dessert!
- Made in one bowl
- Donuts are baked and not fried
- No refined sugar
- Gluten free and grain free
- Thick frosting made from real chocolate
This recipe has two parts: the deliciously moist and buttery vanilla donuts and the thick chocolate glaze. Every single ingredient used to make these fun sprinkle donuts are healthier versions of any store-bought alternative. Here is a list of ingredients you will need:
- Eggs: First up, we need 2 large eggs to help bind these vanilla baked donuts together.
- Greek yogurt: They add in 2.5 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt for extra moistness. I reccomend 2% or higher.
- Almond milk: Add in 1/2 cup of almond milk or your favorite alternative. Cashew milk, oat milk, and regular milk work too!
- Coconut sugar: For sweetness, add 1/2 cup of coconut sugar. This healthy chocolate frosted donuts recipe is refined sugar free.
- Vanilla extract: Plus a dash of vanilla for the best flavor.
- Almond flour: Instead of regular all-purpose flour, we are using almond flour with gives these baked donuts the softest texture and riches flavor.
- Baking powder: To help these donuts rise, we are using 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- Baking soda: And 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Cinnamon: For extra delicious flavoring, add in some ground cinnamon.
- Salt: A dash of salt helps achieve the perfect sweet and salty combo.
- Chocolate chips: First up for the chocolate glaze, is 1/2 cup of your favorite chocoalte chips.
- Coconut oil or butter: To help melt the chocolate and give it a shiny look, add in 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil or butter.
- Maple syrup: Plus, 1 Tablespoon of pure maple syrup for flavoring and gloss.
- Sprinkles: Finally, you will need lots of fun sprinkles!
Kitchen tools needed
Homemade donuts are made using simple kitchen utensils and a donut tin! Here is a quick list of what you’ll need to make chocolate frosted sprinkle donuts!
- Donut tin
- Nonstick spray
- Large mixing bowl
- Stirring utensil
- Microwave safe mixing bowl
- Measuring cups: 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
Easy ingredient substitutions
Out of a few ingredients? Here’s are my recommendations for ingredient substitutions for these baked donuts:
- Almond milk: Substitute with cashew milk, regular milk, or oat milk.
- Coconut sugar: Simply swap the coconut sugar for light brown sugar.
- Greek yogurt: Easy swap out the greek yogurt in this donut recipe for sour cream.
- Coconut oil: Simply use melted butter instead of the coconut oil in. the frosting.
Are they healthy?
The term “healthy” is relative to each person. I consider these baked donuts to be healthy because you only need a few very simple good-for-you ingredients. They are much better than buying super sugary and processed alternatives, and there are no preservatives, no refined sugars, and no random ingredients in my recipe! Plus, they are sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar, making them refined sugar free, and they are gluten free since we use almond flour.
How to make baked donuts with chocolate glaze
These gluten free donuts with chocolate glaze are so easy to make. A beginner cook could make it – I promise! This recipe makes eight fluffy, full-size donuts or 12 moist mini donuts.
Step 1: To begin, preheat your oven to 350°F and generously grease a regular or mini donut pan.
Step 2: Next, in a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and Greek yogurt until fully combined. Then add in the almond milk, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and mix until fully combined.
Step 3: After that, add in the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
Step 4: Then, spoon the batter evenly into the greased donut mold, making 8 – 12 donuts depending on the size of your pan. Make sure the batter fills the donut molds to the center but does not cover the center.
Step 5: Bake for 15 – 18 minutes if using a regular pan or 11 -13 minutes if using a mini pan. Remove from the oven when the donuts are golden brown, and toothpick comes out clean.
Step 6: Now, let the donuts sit 5 – 10 minutes before removing them from the pan and letting them cool on a wire rack.
Step 7: Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil until in 20-second intervals, so you do not burn the chocolate. Whisk in the maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla extract (note: can add 1 – 2 more teaspoons of almond milk until desired consistency).
Step 8: Finally, dip each cooled donut into the frosting and add as many colorful sprinkles as you want.
Enjoy your healthy chocolate frosted donuts!
Fequently Asked Questions
Are they gluten free?
Yes, since we use almond flour, these donuts are gluten free.
Should I grease a non-stick donut pan?
Yes, I always recommend greasing non-stick pans. This will give you full confidence that the donuts will not stick to the sides after baking.
Do I need to top them with chocolate glaze?
No, if you want to keep these as plain vanilla baked donuts, simply leave off the homemade chocolate frosting.
How to store leftovers
I recommend enjoying baked donuts with chocolate glaze within 1 – 2 days. You can store leftover donuts in an airtight sealed container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Check these dessert recipes next!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Also, don’t forget to tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Healthy Baked Donuts with Chocolate Glaze
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ Tbsp plain Greek yogurt, I used 2%
- ⅓ cup almond milk or plant milk
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup super-fine almond flour, packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp almond milk, plus more as needed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and generously grease a donut pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and Greek yogurt until fully combined.
- Add in almond milk, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix until fully combined.
- Fold in almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the greased donut mold, making 8 - 10 donuts depending on the size of your pan. The batter should fill donut molds to the center but do not cover.
- Bake for full-sized donuts for 15 - 18 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let sit 5 - 10 minutes before removing them from the pan and letting them cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in 20-second intervals so you do not burn the chocolate. Whisk in the maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla extract (note: can add 1 - 2 more teaspoons of almond milk until desired consistency).
- Dip each cooled donut into the frosting and add sprinkles as desired. Enjoy!
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!
Leave a Reply