Healthy Baked Donuts with Chocolate Glaze
Hello fluffy healthy baked donuts with chocolate glaze and sprinkles! These donuts are the perfect good-for-you sweet treat made with simple ingredients like almond flour, maple syrup, greek yogurt, and dark chocolate. An easy healthier chocolate frosted donut recipe made gluten free, kid friendly, and nut free.
Best ever healthy baked donuts with chocolate glaze
If you’re looking for a healthy donuts recipe then you have got to try these!! These light and fluffy donuts are baked until golden brown, perfectly sweet, and topped with the best ever healthy thick chocolate glaze made from real chocolate.
Forget about lots of refined sugar and oil, these baked vanilla donuts are going to be your new favorite dessert, snack and healthy sweet breakfast recipe. Everyone will thank you for baking these bad boys!
I mean there is nothing better than a moist donut with chocolate frosting and lots of fun, colorful sprinkles! Honestly, way better than any bakery fried version. I am giving Dunkin Donuts a run for their money.
Why you’ll love this healthier chocolate frosted donut recipe
Here are a couple reasons why you are going to love these healthy baked donuts with chocolate frosting. They are going to be you new favorite dessert!
- Made in one bowl
- No electric mixer required
- Donuts are baked and not fried
- No refined sugar
- Gluten free and grain free
- Perfect for kids
- Fluffy, moist, and fresh donuts
- Thick healthy frosting made from chocolate chips
- So many fun sprinkles
How are these chocolate frosted donuts healthier?
The term healthy is all relative. I consider these baked donuts to be very healthy because you only need a few very simple good-for-you ingredients. There are absolutely no preservatives, no refined sugars, and no random ingredients in this wholesome recipe!
When you eat one chocolate frosted donut, you’re getting a hearty dose of protein and calcium from the greek yogurt and almond milk, fiber and protein from the almond flour, healthy fats from the coconut oil, and antioxidants from the dark chocolate.
These homemade baked donuts that are so much better than buying super sugary and processed alternatives! They are sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar making them refined sugar free and the best ever healthy dessert.
Ingredients in chocolate glazed baked donuts
This recipe has two parts: the deliciously moist and buttery donuts and the thick chocolate glaze. Every single ingredient used to make these fun sprinkle donuts are healthier versions of any store bought alternative. Below is a list of all of the ingredients you’ll need for these fun baked donuts!
For the vanilla baked donuts:
- Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- Almond milk or plant milk
- Coconut sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Almond flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
For chocolate frosting:
- Dark chocolate chips – I used Lily’s Sweet chocolate chips (which are sweetened with stevia will only have 6 grams of sugar per serving).
- Coconut oil or butter
- Maple syrup
- Almond milk
- Vanilla extract
All these clean ingredients make these vanilla baked donuts with healthy chocolate frosting gluten free, grain free, nut free, and kid friendly. The ideal and most delicious healthy dessert, snack, or sweet breakfast.
Easy ingredient swaps
Out of a few ingredients? Here’s are my recommendations for ingredient substitutions for these baked donuts:
- Choose the milk: Use almond milk, cashew milk, regular milk, or oat milk. The options are endless!
- Coconut sugar: Simply swap the coconut sugar for light brown sugar.
- Greek yogurt: Easy swap out the greek yogurt in this donut recipe for sour cream.
- Coconut oil: Simply use melted butter instead of the coconut oil in. the frosting!
Tools used to make chocolate frosted vanilla donuts
Homemade donuts are made using simple kitchen utensils and a donut tin! Here’s a quick list of what you’ll need to make chocolate frosted sprinkle donuts!
- Donut tin: use a regular sized 6-cavity donut pan or a 12-cavity mini donut pan. You will just need to adjust the bake time.
- Nonstick spray
- Large mixing bowl
- Stirring utensil
- Microwave safe mixing bowl
- Measuring cups: 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make healthy baked donuts with chocolate glaze
These healthier baked donuts with chocolate glaze are so easy to make. A beginner cook could make it – I promise! This recipe makes 8 fluffy, full size donuts or 12 moist mini donuts.
To begin, preheat your oven to 350F and generously grease a regular or mini donut pan.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and Greek yogurt until fully combined. Then add in the almond milk, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and mix until fully combined.
After that, add in the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
Then, spoon the batter evenly into the greased donut mold, making 8 – 12 donuts depending on the size of your pan. Make sure the batter fills the donut molds to the center but does not cover the center.
Bake for 15 – 18 minutes if using a regular pan or 11 -13 minutes if using a mini pan. Remove from the oven when the donuts are golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
Now, let the donuts sit 5 – 10 minutes before removing them from the pan and letting them cool on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil until in 20-second intervals so you do not burn the chocolate. Whisk in the maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla extract (note: can add 1 – 2 more teaspoons of almond milk until desired consistency).
Finally, dip each cooled donut into the frosting and add as many colorful sprinkles as you want.
How to store leftover chocolate frosted donuts
I recommend enjoying baked donuts with chocolate glaze within 1 – 2 days. You can store leftover donuts in an airtight sealed container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
More healthier dessert recipes to check out:
Craving more (healthier) sweet treats? Here are some tasty & fun dessert recipes from Healthful Blondie:Print
Fluffy and moist healthy baked donuts with chocolate glaze and sprinkles! They’re the perfect good-for-you sweet treat made gluten-free, kid-friendly, and nut-free with simple ingredients. The perfect sweet breakfast, snack, or dessert.
- 2 eggs
- 2.5 Tbsp Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- 1/3 cup almond milk or plant milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup almond flour, packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt, optional
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp almond milk (plus more as needed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350F and generously grease a donut pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and Greek yogurt until fully combined.
- Add in almond milk, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix until fully combined.
- Add in almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the greased donut mold, making 8 – 10 donuts depending on the size of your pan. The batter should fill donut molds to the center but do not cover.
- Bake for full-sized donuts for 15 – 18 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let sit 5 – 10 minutes before removing them from the pan and letting cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in 20-second intervals so you do not burn the chocolate. Whisk in the maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla extract (note: can add 1 – 2 more teaspoons of almond milk until desired consistency).
- Dip each cooled donut into the frosting and add sprinkles as desired. Enjoy!
The baking time is for a full-size donut pan. Reduce baking time to 11 – 13 minutes for a 12-cavity mini donut pan.
TO STORE: Best to enjoy within 1 – 2 days. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Category: Snack, Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Healthy
Keywords: baked donut, fluffy donut, healthy baked donut with chocolate glaze, chocolate frosted donut, healthy chocolate glazed donut
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!