Incredibly delicious and healthy Mediterranean tuna melt sandwich. A lighter version of a classic tuna melt recipe made with fresh tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, grapes, crumbled feta, and non-fat yogurt. Ready in 10 minutes, this easy on-the-go lunch or dinner recipe is perfect for meal prep, fitness lovers, and families.
Best ever tuna feta sandwich
Mediterranean and Greek food is my favorite cuisine. The dishes are always light, intently flavorful, mouthwatering, and healthy! One of my go-to’s are my Greek chicken meatballs, but when I am feeling something really nice and easy, I make this tuna sandwich!
A classic tuna sandwich that just got a whole new look! This mayo-free tuna salad is a game changer. It’s prepared with zesty Mediterranean flavors and packed with lots of crunchy veggies and fresh herbs. The toasted bread is warm and has the perfect buttery crunch. Plus, I added sliced green grapes to add some natural sweetened and freshness. SO DELICIOUS!
Honestly, feta tuna sandwiches are perfect for lunch and dinner. Ready in 10 minutes this tuna feta melt is ideal for meal prep and busy people. Use your favorite bread or simply enjoy this Greek tuna salad on its own, for a delicious and nourishing meal!
Is a tuna melt sandwich healthy?
Not every tuna melt sandwich recipe is “healthy.” That is why I am here to help! This easy tuna salad recipe is only made with simple ingredients and uses yogurt to make it creamy. Adding lots of veggies, fresh herbs, and some fruit to your tuna salad makes this classic sandwich healthier and lighter! Tuna is a wonderful lean protein option. It is nutrient rich, containing lots of vitamins and omega-3s.
One sandwich is packed with 41 grams of lean protein, lots of fiber, and will keep you full for hours. So, yes this feta tuna salad recipe is definitely healthy!
You’ll only need a few fresh ingredients to get this easy 10 minute lunch recipe going! I am all about simplicity and ease, so don’t worry, you won’t need to go to the supermarket and buy a lot of expensive ingredients and spices. To begin making your tuna feta melt, simply gather all your ingredients and a bowl
- Canned tuna (in water)
- Plain non-fat yogurt or light mayo
- Dried or fresh oregano
- Salt & pepper
- Red onion
- Cherry tomatoes
- Baby carrots
- Green or red grapes
- Fresh parsley
- Hemp hearts (optional)
- Crumbled feta
- Bread (I used sourdough)
- Butter or olive oil
How to make a Greek tuna melt sandwich
This easy lunch and dinner recipe is incredible! These zesty Mediterranean tuna melts are light, nutritious, and delicious. Plus, this recipe only calls for a handful of ingredients and three kitchen utensils, making clean up really easy.
Step 1: First, in a bowl, mix drained tuna, yogurt (or mayo), lemon juice, oregano, salt, and pepper. Use a fork to break up tuna into flakes.
Step 2: Next, gently mix in the diced red onion, cherry tomatoes, carrots, grapes, capers, fresh parsley, (optional hemp hearts), and crumbled feta. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
Step 3: Next, spread the tuna salad on one slice of the bread and top with the other slice to form a sandwich.
Step 4: Finally, in a large skillet, heat butter or olive oil over medium heat. When heated, place the sandwich in the pan and cook until lightly toasted and crisp, about 2 – 3 minutes per side. This makes the bread buttery, crisp, and just melt in your mouth delicious.
Cut in half and enjoy your tasty healthy Mediterranean tuna melt sandwich.
How to make this recipe healthier
Want to up your sandwich game? Try these add ins to personalize your Mediterranean tuna sandwich and make them even more nutritious:
- Add a handful of spinach to get lots of vitamin A!
- Use whole wheat bread for extra fiber.
- Don’t have bread? No worries! Turn this recipe into a salad by adding more romaine, spinach, and ditch the bread.
- Make tuna melt low carb. Instead of bread, use romaine lettuce to make tuna boats. by adding the salad to the center!
- Is this recipe gluten-free? If you use a gluten-free bread (or no bread at all), then yes this recipe is gluten-free!
- Is this recipe paleo? Yes! Just leave out the feta and use dairy free yogurt or mayo.
Fequently Asked Questions
Can I make this recipe gluten free?
Yes! Simply use your favorite gluten free bread.
How do I meal prep this recipe?
Healthy Mediterranean tuna melts are an awesome lunch option! You can easily double or triple this tuna salad recipe to meal prep for the week. Personally, I love to prep these Greek tuna sandwiches. I recommend storing the tuna separately from the bread and when you are hungry prepare the sandwich. BAM a 5 minute lunch!
How do I store leftovers?
Whether you are meal prepping or just saving extra leftovers, be sure to store all of the parts of this recipe separately in the refrigerator. No one likes soggy bread!
Try these recipes next!
Need some more tasty and healthy dinner, lunch, or meal prep ideas? Here are some of my favorite Healthful Blondie dinner recipes to try out…
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Caesar Wraps
- Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Turkey Meatball Poppers
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
Healthy Mediterranean Tuna Melt Sandwich
- 1 5-oz. can tuna (in water)
- 1 Tbsp plain non-fat yogurt or light mayo
- ½ a lemon, juiced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp red onion, finely diced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 3 baby carrots, thinly sliced
- 5 grapes, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp hemp hearts, optional
- 2 Tbsp crumbled feta
- 2 slices of bread, I used sourdough
- 1 Tbsp butter of choice or 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- In a bowl, mix drained tuna, yogurt, lemon juice, oregano, salt, and pepper. Use a fork to break up tuna into flakes.
- Gently mix in red onion, cherry tomatoes, carrots, grapes, capers, fresh parsley, (optional hemp hearts), and crumbled feta. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Spread the tuna salad on one slice of the bread. Top with the other slice to form a sandwich.
- In a large skillet, heat butter or olive oil over medium heat. When heated, place the sandwich in the pan and cook until lightly toasted and crisp, about 2 - 3 minutes per side.
- Cut in half and enjoy!
Recipe by Tati Chermayeff (Healthful Blondie) + Photos by The Travel Palate
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!