Healthy no bake peanut butter trail mix energy balls for an easy snack. Loaded with simple ingredients like rolled oats, honey, flax seeds, and creamy peanut butter, this easy energy bites recipe is made gluten free, protein packed, and kid friendly!
Best ever trail mix energy bites
Need an easy afternoon snack recipe? I’ve got you covered! Try these delicious no bake peanut butter trail mix energy balls. They are nutrient-rich, made with good-for-you ingredients, and take 5 minutes to throw together! The dried cranberries add natural sweetness, the crushed peanuts add that much needed texture crunch, and the mini chocolate chips satisfy your chocolate cravings.
You can probably tell by now, we love no bake snack recipes over here at Healthful Blondie! They are super easy to make, always delicious, and healthy. No bake energy balls are a staple in my diet!
Easily enjoy some of these bite sized energy balls before a workout for a little pick me up! Or eat some as a little snack between meals. They are healthy, simple, and dang delicious!
Why you’ll love this no bake healthy snack
Here are a couple reasons why you are going to love these trail mix peanut butter energy bites. It is going to be you new favorite snack recipe!
- Super easy to make
- No refined sugar
- Made in one bowl
- Perfect for kids
- Ideal pre-workout snack for athletes
Ingredients in no bake trail mix snack bites
This recipe calls for 9 simple ingredients. In fact, every single ingredient used to make these snack bites are all healthier versions of any store bought alternative. There are absolutely no preservatives, no refined sugars, and no random ingredients in this wholesome recipe!
- Rolled oats: we use certified gluten free oats to make these bitesa totally gluten free.
- Creamy peanut butter: I recommend all natural creamy peanut butter. If you are using salted peanut butter, just leave out the extra salt!
- Ground flaxseed: such a wonderful boost of healthy fats, fiber, protein, and vitamins.
- Chia seeds: to boost your omega 3.
- Salt: only add extra salt if you. are using unsalted peanut butter.
- Honey: the world’s best natural sweetener! If you want to make these vegan, make sure to use maple syrup or date syrup instead.
- Vanilla extract: just a dash of vanilla goes a long way in flavor!
- Trail mix: for the trail mix part of this recipe, I added crushed peanuts, mini chocolate chips, and sweetened dried cranberries. You can use 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of store-bought trail mix as well!
All these clean ingredients make these energy snack balls gluten free, dairy free, and kid friendly. The ideal and most delicious healthy snack ever!
Easy ingredient substitutions and variations
Out of a few ingredients? Here’s are my recommendations for ingredient substitutions for this healthy snack recipe:
- Honey: Simply swap the honey with maple syrup.
- Peanuts: Substitute peanuts for any nut. I recommend trying almonds, cashews, walnuts, or pecans.
- Dried Cranberries: Either leave out the dried cranberries. or swap for raisins.
- Mini m&ms: Add in some mini m&ms to make these energy bites extra fun!
- Trail Mix: Use 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of store-bought trail mix instead of all the add-ins. How easy is that?!
How to make peanut butter trail mix energy balls
This healthy snack recipe is so easy to make! All you’ll need to do is mix all the ingredients together and then roll out the healthy energy balls. I’m telling you, this no-bake snack is irresistibly delicious and comes together in less than 5 minutes! Here is how you make healthy peanut butter energy balls:
To begin, add all the ingredients from the rolled oats to the dried cranberries in a large mixing bowl and combine with a spatula.
Once your mixture is ready, cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for around 30 minutes. This will bake rolling our the balls much easier and not stick to your hands!
Lastly, using your hands, form 20 – 25 balls.
Enjoy these best ever peanut butter trail mix energy bites right then and there or store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days in an airtight container!
How to store and meal prep energy balls
I recommend storing these no bake trail ix energy bites in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Can I freeze energy balls?
Yes! You can freeze no bake energy balls for up to 2 months. To enjoy, let them soften in the refrigerator for 1 – 3 hours.
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and rate it down below. Tag me @healthfulblondie on Instagram and use the hashtag #healthfulblondie so I can see your delicious creation and share it with my followers!
More healthier snack recipes to check out:
Craving more (healthier) snacks? Here are some tasty & fun snack recipes from Healthful Blondie:
Peanut Butter Trail Mix Energy Balls
- 1 + 1/4 cup rolled oats, gluten-free or regular
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds, optional
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup honey *
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup peanuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips, I use Lily's Dark Chocoalte Chips
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, sweetened
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Cover the mixing bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Using your hands, form 20 – 25 balls, about 1 inch in size each.
- Enjoy and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 7 – 10 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. In full disclosure, by purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. Everything counts to keep my dream afloat; thank you for supporting Healthful Blondie!
Sharing is caring!